Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

World Anvil Integration

Score + 50
I've been using World Anvil more and more and I am finding it a really good tool for documenting all of the campaign and world info. The problem is that the more I use it, the more I am stuck with being able to show people content when we are playing. A prime example is that I might have some item in World Anvil that I want to show the players. To get it in, I have to: Find the content in WorldAnvil (fast) Copy the content out (if possible. If it is an image, I am stuffed already) Create a new handout in Roll20 somewhere (this is going to create disorganised mess, but i have to deal with that) Name and edit the handout, putting in the content I coped. Save it Click "Show to players" This makes running a campaign hard as If there is something I plan on showing the players that I have ALREADY planned out in World Anvil, I have to copy it across before hand or stop play. My thinking is that this could be solved very easily by using the " Compendium " tab. If for a Game, i could have some kind of setting that allows me to specify a WorldAnvil API keys , then the Compendium could be tweaked to return results from WorldAnvil and allow me to quickly bring in that content on the fly .  I note that similar functionality is already in place with the token search feature that can pull results from the web. It would be really exciting if this kind of integration could be done as World Anvil and Roll20 both solve different problems well but the inability for them to work together is unfortunate. I also note that Foundry VTT offers this, but I am yet to seriously consider that as an option as my players are happy with Roll20 for now.
This is one reason why I'm seriously thinking of dropping Roll20 and trying to run my games in World Anvil.  I've already cancelled my Roll20 subscription but I'm still trying to work out exactly how much I can reproduce in the World Anvil Storytelling system.  Unfortunately, the tutorials aren't that helpful.
Didz said: This is one reason why I'm seriously thinking of dropping Roll20 and trying to run my games in World Anvil.  I've already cancelled my Roll20 subscription but I'm still trying to work out exactly how much I can reproduce in the World Anvil Storytelling system.  Unfortunately, the tutorials aren't that helpful. I like Roll20 for its fairly intuitive Tabletop interface but for everything else it is continuously feeling outdated and cumbersome.
This is pretty similar to the #1 request, Custom Compendium , which is being worked on right now.  I would love to see a follow-up that made an actual integration/import available.  I would love even more to be able to sell my own created Compendiums in the marketplace...
Having played with Roll20 for years.. Its table top features are very nice and being updated. BUT within hours of playing with World Anvil, the amount of detailed custom content AND organization is top notch. IT would be beyond incredible if there was a way to tie the two together to seamless have the custom homebrew content and notes with the table top experience from Roll20. Alas, I don't think it will happen because both company's likely won't admit the other has its value and strengths.
Finite8 said: I've been using World Anvil more and more and I am finding it a really good tool for documenting all of the campaign and world info. The problem is that the more I use it, the more I am stuck with being able to show people content when we are playing. A prime example is that I might have some item in World Anvil that I want to show the players. To get it in, I have to: Find the content in WorldAnvil (fast) Copy the content out (if possible. If it is an image, I am stuffed already) Create a new handout in Roll20 somewhere (this is going to create disorganised mess, but i have to deal with that) Name and edit the handout, putting in the content I coped. Save it Click "Show to players" This makes running a campaign hard as If there is something I plan on showing the players that I have ALREADY planned out in World Anvil, I have to copy it across before hand or stop play. My thinking is that this could be solved very easily by using the " Compendium " tab. If for a Game, i could have some kind of setting that allows me to specify a WorldAnvil API keys , then the Compendium could be tweaked to return results from WorldAnvil and allow me to quickly bring in that content on the fly .  I note that similar functionality is already in place with the token search feature that can pull results from the web. It would be really exciting if this kind of integration could be done as World Anvil and Roll20 both solve different problems well but the inability for them to work together is unfortunate. I also note that Foundry VTT offers this, but I am yet to seriously consider that as an option as my players are happy with Roll20 for now. ------------------------------------------------ THIS NEEDS DONE ASAP! I agree totally. it is cumbersome trying to feed lore and information to players from one site to the other, when both are PAID to be effective. please..show us love for continuing to use your VTT.. because with more and more people/dms using World Anvil, if you don't make this a focus to integrate articles, pictures, etc...another VTT will.
Yes, this is a good idea. It gets my vote!
Trying to boost the priority on this request, as I feel that it would considerably improve Roll20s' usability for myself and my players! Thanks 
After trying to load and manage a number of homebrew campaigns with Roll20, I found LegendKeeper.com, which is a campaign management tool (Similar to a specialized Wiki engine).   I’ve since adapted my GM process and now use Roll20 for its VTT (Maps & Tokens) and Character sheets management.  I do almost everything else out of LegendKeeper (Campaign info, NPC Details, Note taking, Setting descriptions, …. That said, I’d support an improved campaign mgt tool or integration capabilities.   +1
+1 here; I would like to import my worldanvil maps in a meaningful way but I don't think that'll ever make it.