Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

AD&D (1e)

It would be great to add a magic items section to the 1e character sheets. I have noticed several enhancements that have been made over the past year or so and us "old schoolers" really appreciate it! ~Max
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Maxwell said: It would be great to add a magic items section to the 1e character sheets. I have noticed several enhancements that have been made over the past year or so and us "old schoolers" really appreciate it! ~Max Hi Maxwell, Good suggestion.  I'll add that to the "to do" list.  Do you see this being a repeating section to add as many magic items as you wish?  Maybe just a basic name, description?  Uses/charges?  Include a sheet roll to post item info to chat?
That sounds good. Maybe a quantity spot to track multiple potions. I appreciate the quick response!

Edited 1599710288
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Sounds good.
Gold
Forum Champion
Are you a fan of Repeating sections, VInce? Are they good? There must be technical reasons. To me it seems that a non-repeating section "Magic Items" with a good 10-20 rows of free text, would accommodate the best for AD&D.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I like repeating rows for a couple reasons; they only require a single block of reusable code, they usually take up less room on a sheet, there's no theoretical limit to the number that can be added, you can rearrange/reorder them after they have been added, and they can grow in number to accommodate character advancement.  Just name a few. ;-p
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Those are great advantages. But also to compare to non-repeating sections: you have to manually create the html for all 10-120 of them, and if you dont get the number right, you have either a lot of wasted space, or players frustrated because they dont have enough space. The actual html for a repeating section is very compact - you essentially just create one row, and the sheet automatically creates all the rest. The only downside of using a repeating section is the attribute names for items within it get very complex. That can sometimes be an issue for things you might want to make macros for, but for things like magic item lists and general equipment lists, there's no downside at all. For those where it matters, you can create buttons to mostly get rid of that issue.
Gold
Forum Champion
Got it. Thanks for the answers. For me there seems to be a slight delay when I click "Add" (add new row) in the Character Sheet. It's pretty quick, but long enough that it's annoying on Gear lists when you want to enter a bunch of small/minor items: Candle Twine Wax Vinegar Garlic Mirror etc I hear you programmers about the advantages of it though.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gold, have you compared the speed of adding to other sheets? Are there some repeating sections that are slower than others? This might just be a limit of the underlying roll20 technology and not something sheet creators can do anything about.
Gold
Forum Champion
GiGs said: Gold, have you compared the speed of adding to other sheets? Are there some repeating sections that are slower than others? This might just be a limit of the underlying roll20 technology and not something sheet creators can do anything about. This is a good testing question. I have not specifically compared that. Also it might (surprisingly or not?) have something to do with slowness of me using a laptop, non-powerful computer. For example my 3D dice render and show the result much more slowly on this computer, where-as my players have already seen the result and told me about it in voice before it's finished rolling on mine. Panning the map is also not super prompt (on this laptop, either browser).
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gold said: Also it might (surprisingly or not?) have something to do with slowness of me using a laptop, non-powerful computer.  That sounds pretty likely, tbh.
Vince said: Maxwell said: It would be great to add a magic items section to the 1e character sheets. I have noticed several enhancements that have been made over the past year or so and us "old schoolers" really appreciate it! ~Max Hi Maxwell, Good suggestion.  I'll add that to the "to do" list.  Do you see this being a repeating section to add as many magic items as you wish?  Maybe just a basic name, description?  Uses/charges?  Include a sheet roll to post item info to chat? Hey Vince - Just checking in to see if you have had the chance to work on this enhancement? If so, will the changes automatically be available in the game, or will I need to re-load the character sheet somehow?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Maxwell said: Vince said: Maxwell said: It would be great to add a magic items section to the 1e character sheets. I have noticed several enhancements that have been made over the past year or so and us "old schoolers" really appreciate it! ~Max Hi Maxwell, Good suggestion.  I'll add that to the "to do" list.  Do you see this being a repeating section to add as many magic items as you wish?  Maybe just a basic name, description?  Uses/charges?  Include a sheet roll to post item info to chat? Hey Vince - Just checking in to see if you have had the chance to work on this enhancement? If so, will the changes automatically be available in the game, or will I need to re-load the character sheet somehow? Not yet... but this shouldn't be difficult to implement.  I'm under the assumption that most users add magic items as equipment?  I'm thinking it might be easiest to simply expand the equipment item/row to include a longer description field (collapsible) and include a roll option to post to chat.  Do you have any specific suggestions? Thanks
Yeah, that is where I place non-weapon magic items. For ease of access during game play it might be nice to have a separate magic item section - maybe you can just copy and modify the equipment section to a new collapsable section on the character sheet. It would be nice to also have a way to track charges as well. I don't know anything about how to do the build, so whatever is easiest for you works for me. I really appreciate you being willing to help with this. Best, ~Max
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
@maxwell Given that most people probably already have their magical items added as equipment, I'm leaning toward simply adding some additional fields/features to the current Equipment section. A collapsible/expandable textarea box for item descriptions. (this would allow multi-line text with basic markdown formatting as well as inline rolls for macros...) New fields for item "uses". ie equipment_uses|equipment_uses_max for charged or limited use items. Roll button to post item info to chat. ? These few additions should help expand the equipment section without adding too much complexity/clutter to the sheet, but I'm still open to suggestions.  ;-) TIP: Just a reminder for anyone that doesn't know about a very handy roll20 character sheet feature; if you enable the "Modify" button found at the end of each repeating section, you can drag and drop repeating rows to rearrange them.  Toggle the "Done" option to lock the new order.  I only mention this since since this might help organize repeating sections as desired. ie Move magic items to the top of the Equipment list. Cheers
@Vince - this sounds like a good plan. I look forward to seeing the results!