Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question about darkness/explorable darkness and hide areas/reveal

What is the difference between permanent darkness/explorable darkness and hide areas/reveal areas? Also if I was using a character to test lighting and dragged them around the map how do I reset their view so that when the game actually starts they don't see parts of map they haven't been to yet?
I think I got it. You can choose to hide or reveal areas of permanent darkness. You can also hide or reveal areas of explorable darkness. That being said, to answer the question of resetting views I could click explorable darkness and then choose hide. I won't delete this topic so others can search and see results
Could I please get some more details? I'm playing with this myself and can't get it to work. I figured this tool was for making interiors or select rooms dark while keeping other parts fully illuminated, but every time I draw a block of explorable darkness, the token can see right through it. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm drawing on the dynamic lighting layer or the token layer. Am I doing something wrong, or does daylight mode override this tool? (If the latter, what's the point of this tool then?)
These tools could probably be named better. Fog of War and Advanced Fog of war are part of the Legacy Dynamic Lighting system that will eventually be phased out/deprecated.&nbsp; Permanent Darkness / Explorable Darkness are part of the Updated Dynamic Lighting system that is still being developed, and is currently in what could be considered alpha testing (even though it is being marketed as 'at parity' with LDL).&nbsp; UDL still has a LOT of bugs. Fog of War / Permanent Darkness is a way for the GM to add a black layer over the map.&nbsp; Players cannot see anything that is hidden under the area of blackness.&nbsp; The GM must manually remove the darkness for players to see anything there.&nbsp;&nbsp; Advanced Fog of War / Explorable Darkness is very similar.&nbsp; The area will be completely blacked out, but once a token has a line of sight into the area, it will be uncovered for that token .&nbsp; Once the token does not have line of sight into that area, it will be greyed out as a reference, but you won't see any other tokens in that area.&nbsp; So if you have a map that has no walls and you put a token on it, everything will immediately become visible to that token. But if you have a page with several rooms, as the token moves through each area will be dynamically visible to the token.&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Fog_of_War" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Fog_of_War</a>