Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rime of the Frostmaiden

In the page Starting Quest: Cold-Hearted Killer, under Finding Torg's it says, " Any character who spends an hour talking to townsfolk can make a DC 17 Charisma (Investigation) check at the end of that hour"  Is that supposed to be charisma or intelligence?   Also, It mentions in Cold Open under Icewind Dale Knowledge it says:  Having set the stage, you can now describe the adventure's starting town using the information presented later in this chapter, and the poster map includes a map of the starting town that you can share with the players I don't see any handout maps in the module, am I missing it or is this not provided?

Edited 1600353696
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Everett F. said: In the page Starting Quest: Cold-Hearted Killer, under Finding Torg's it says, " Any character who spends an hour talking to townsfolk can make a DC 17 Charisma (Investigation) check at the end of that hour"  Is that supposed to be charisma or intelligence?   Sounds like it is using the Variant for ability checks from the PHB, since in this case it is specifically saying to investigate by talking to people. Variant: Skills with Different Abilities Normally, your proficiency in a skill applies only to a specific kind of ability check. Proficiency in Athletics, for example, usually applies to Strength checks. In some situations, though, your proficiency might reasonably apply to a different kind of check. In such cases, the DM might ask for a check using an unusual combination of ability and skill, or you might ask your DM if you can apply a proficiency to a different check. For example, if you have to swim from an offshore island to the mainland, your DM might call for a Constitution check to see if you have the stamina to make it that far. In this case, your DM might allow you to apply your proficiency in Athletics and ask for a Constitution (Athletics) check. So if you're proficient in Athletics, you apply your proficiency bonus to the Constitution check just as you would normally do for a Strength (Athletics) check. Similarly, when your half-­‐‑orc barbarian uses a display of raw strength to intimidate an enemy, your DM might ask for a Strength (Intimidation) check, even though Intimidation is normally associated with Charisma.
I also have scoured the resources and am unable to find the poster map anywhere.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The poster map in its entirety would likely have been too big to handle. All of the pieces are found in either the map pages or the handouts. For example, there is an art handout for each of the Ten Towns.
Noah S. said: I also have scoured the resources and am unable to find the poster map anywhere.   Each of the ten towns are listed separately and there is the icewind Dale map in the resources. I to screen shots of each of those and sent them to my players since the can't all have a poster map. 
What do you do for tokens/battle maps in the first couple encounters (cold open, foaming mugs, etc) where there is combat but no specific map. I was thinking of addi G a blank grid map for those. 
keithcurtis said: The poster map in its entirety would likely have been too big to handle. All of the pieces are found in either the map pages or the handouts. For example, there is an art handout for each of the Ten Towns. Was the poster map basically the Icewind Dale map without spoilers or did it also contain the ten towns themselves?  There is an art handout of the Icewind Dale region but it contains spoilers.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to go and make spoiler-free maps on my own. 
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Everett F. said: In the page Starting Quest: Cold-Hearted Killer, under Finding Torg's it says, " Any character who spends an hour talking to townsfolk can make a DC 17 Charisma (Investigation) check at the end of that hour"  Is that supposed to be charisma or intelligence?   I do the same thing in my conversions of 3.5 material. Charisma (Investigation) compares well to a gather information check. It's nice to see that WotC came to the same conclusion.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Everett F. said: Was the poster map basically the Icewind Dale map without spoilers or did it also contain the ten towns themselves?  There is an art handout of the Icewind Dale region but it contains spoilers.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to go and make spoiler-free maps on my own.  For spoiler-free usage, the page for the Icewind Dale map has all labels on the GM layer. You can simply place the player(s) on the page. Since you are Pro, you could even use the MapChange API (in the one-click install) to allow them to do it themselves. In my own game, I do this for all my campaign maps.