Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5E Casting a spell from the compendium?

I love the way how NPCs that are set up as full characters will a character sheet can cast their spells from the "spells" tab of their Roll20 sheet, and depending on setting either get a text output explaining the spell, an attack roll with damage, or even both. Unfortunately not every spellcasting enemy is set up like that, but use a simpler "create an NPC" sheet. Then spellcasting is often just a text field with a list of spells. Other than creating a new character sheet for my NPC mage or cleric, what are my other options to have him cast spells in combat? If my NPC casts Hold Person, how would I best show the spell effect of that, other than telling my players to look it up in the compendium themselves? If I drag and drop the spell from the compendium to the game, I only get a handout window, and unlike the version in the compendium which is formatted to look nice, the handout version is just plain text. I'd rather have the spell show up in the chat window, but the only way I found to do that is using CTRL-C, CTRL-V copy & paste, and the output looks even worse. Is there an easy way to take a spell from the compendium and turn it directly into an output in chat using the D&D 5e by Roll20 spellcard template? And is there a way to cast let's say a lightning bolt directly from the compendium into chat, and get the D&D 5e by Roll20 attack & damage template?

Edited 1600535141
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Can you give an example of a spellcasting NPC from the compendium that does not come in with spells installed?

Edited 1600581647
keithcurtis said: Can you give an example of a spellcasting NPC from the compendium that does not come in with spells installed? For example the D&D5E Mage. See character sheet below, the spellcasting section isn't clickable.

Edited 1600586131
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's odd. Is this from the SRD, or from another source? My MM version seems fine: Make sure the "Spellcasting NPC" flag is ticked in the sheet settings.
Okay, thank you. Problem fixed!