Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Subscription Question

So if I have the 5 dollar subscription do I get any tokens or no. My buddy told me that is how you get better tokens but I can't find any that I didn't already have. 
No, the free art assets in the Art Library come with the Pro level subscription.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
And they are not better tokens, just some free ones. There are a wide variety of tokens as there are a wide variety of artistic styles and people preferences so what one might consider better might not be what another does.
Oh dang. Well I guess I can try to use fog of war or something to make my subscription worth while. 
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Biggest bang for the buck is Pro, imo, due to the api script access. There are some really amazing scripts out there. But you get dynamic lighting with Plus, which I feel really adds a lot to the game! I would strongly recommend starting with Legacy DL, though, until all the bugs are worked out of the Updated DL. It has great potential, but isn't there yet. Sadly, the forums are still being littered with the shattered, mournful cries of GMs having game-breaking problems with UDL.
What is API script?
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
The Roll20 developers have exposed various parts of the game to API script developers. Scripts are pieces of javascript code that can be added to your game that can do things that regular macros can't. For example, they can automatically change values or graphics on tokens (including multiple tokens simultaenously), change/add character sheet attributes, utilize conditional logic (e.g. "If this condition, do this, otherwise do something else"), monitor token movement or turn order and automatically fire off events if certain conditions are true (such as character regeneration, soundtracks, etc.), programmatically "summon" creatures or spell effect tokens, teleport tokens, programmatically create token actions for all the attacks/save/checks for a given character/npc type with a single click, hadnle druid wildshape with ease, and many more. No worries if you don't have any programming experience, as they are easy to install, with many installable via the "one click interface". If you know or are willing to learn javascript, even more options open up. The scripters are typically very open to help with questions or suggestions about their scripts or with people hitting stumbling blocks on their own projects. I ask questions all the time, and there are some knowledgeable folks out there that are very generous with their time :) I'd love to show you a bunch of examples, but they are mostly on the API forum, which I don't believe you have access to. I'm also not at my computer that has some cool examples I could share, but here is a link to the macros forum which you should be able to see. Click on the picture in the link to show two scripts working together to help automate a cloudkill spell. It spawns a spell effect token and then creates dynamic lighting lines (the red lines in the gif) to simulate the heavily obscured area (effectively "darkness") created by the spell.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9149403/heavily-obscured-cloud/?pageforid=9157204#post-9157204" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9149403/heavily-obscured-cloud/?pageforid=9157204#post-9157204</a> &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; This is just to give you an idea of what is possible. There are many other much more useful general purpose scripts that just make life much easier as a GM by automating otherwise mundane repetitive tasks.&nbsp;
Oh I'll check that out later. Oddly enough I was listening to the roll for combat podcast and dynamic lighting totally changed their game! So I'm excited to try it.&nbsp;