Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Advice/suggestions on implementing a difficult rules system

Rich R.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
First off, a little background: I'm fairly new to Roll20 and hadn't done a ton of online gaming myself until the pandemic hit. Probably thanks to that lack of experience, a system I designed turned out to be pretty difficult to adapt to most online platforms. I'm hoping to remedy that by building a custom module that can be imported to limit the amount of setup players will need to do. Here's the gist of the rule system (including the bits that are hard to implement): Players simultaneously roll a pool of d6 (based on two stats added together). Players want to form match sets of dice; the more dice in the set, the better. All rolled dice stay on the table in front of the players during the round. Players take turns "spending" a set from their roll to take actions. When a player takes an action they can either: Leave one of the dice from their set in the middle of the table to be picked up later, or Take all the dice from the middle of the table to combine with their own dice and form a bigger set. In addition, there are special character abilities that let players give, take, trade, reroll or set dice to values they choose under certain circumstances. So there's a lot in there that makes things awkward in R20, but I've looked into a couple possibilities: Use tokens/rollable tables for dice: Probably the best option, since players can move tokens around the table all they want. A 6-entry rollable table with images for each of the faces of a d6 would work as the token. Downside is that pulling x  tokens where x  is your die pool takes a little while in the graphical interface. Use cards for dice:  a six-card deck set to infinite draws and random each time, with die faces for the card images would be the "dice." Draws, giving, taking, playing, etc., are all pretty simple. Changing a "card's" value from one to another doesn't seem easy/possible. Using dice as dice seems to be the only thing that doesn't work well, since you'd have to rely on tracking the chat window to keep track of who has what dice. Ideally, I'd like to implement this using macros rather than API solutions, because I want to make it possible to play without a premium account. I believe  I can make the token/rollable table solution work if there were a text command for "move a rollable table token onto the board and roll it," but I haven't found that in any of the docs. Are there any R20 gurus who have ideas or know if I'm missing a function somewhere?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You cannot automate such a system on roll20 without the API. If you are staying at sub-Pro level, the only way to do this is manually, using one of your first two options (cards or tokens). Rich R.  said: I  believe  I can make the token/rollable table solution work if there were a text command for "move a rollable table token onto the board and roll it," but I haven't found that in any of the docs. When you roll a rollable table, the token is printed in chat. You can then drag a copy of it from chat to the tabletop. That is as close as you can get, I think. You could also have some tokens on the map already, from that table. If your right click on the token, you can select a "random side" and it will roll it. You can select a group of tokens, and it'll randomise them all.
Rich R.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
GiGs said: When you roll a rollable table, the token is printed in chat. You can then drag a copy of it from chat to the tabletop. That is as close as you can get, I think. You could also have some tokens on the map already, from that table. If your right click on the token, you can select a "random side" and it will roll it. You can select a group of tokens, and it'll randomise them all. These are both really great suggestions I'll check out, thanks!
Rich R.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Epilogue: I wasn't able to drag the tokens from chat onto the table (not sure if I was doing something wrong there), but it looks like I did get the card solution working. It's a deck of six cards, set to infinite looping with a random card every pull. Players can draw according to their dice pools, hands are set to open for the entire table so everyone can see what everyone else has, and choosing specific cards is available for players as well. It's a little  clunky because redraws or changes to the die values have to be seen as discard/redraws, but that's actually not that big a difference to wrap your head around, it turns out.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Rich R. said: Epilogue: I wasn't able to drag the tokens from chat onto the table (not sure if I was doing something wrong there), I just tried this myself, and couldn't get it working either. It used to work, so I dont know why its changed.
Rich R.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
GiGs said: I just tried this myself, and couldn't get it working either. It used to work, so I dont know why its changed. Well, that at least helps because I know it wasn't me!
Rich R. said: Epilogue: I wasn't able to drag the tokens from chat onto the table (not sure if I was doing something wrong there), but it looks like I did get the card solution working. It's a deck of six cards, set to infinite looping with a random card every pull. Players can draw according to their dice pools, hands are set to open for the entire table so everyone can see what everyone else has game room at ninjamerchstore.com , and choosing specific cards is available for players as well. It's a little  clunky because redraws or changes to the die values have to be seen as discard/redraws, but that's actually not that big a difference to wrap your head around, it turns out. best one so far which i have heard
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
you can actually drag the dice to the table top from chat. Using the /r method of rolling, just drag the die result from the chat (the result in parenthesis, not the final result). That will be a multi-sided token that you can also re-roll or choose a different side for that token later (right-click, hover over Multi-Sided). I just tested it to make sure it works. So, that's another option, which may be easier to manage for swapping things that the card solution may be...
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Just a quick note...you then use macros to roll the proper number of dice using this format: /r [[@{trait1}+@{trait2}]]d6s That should take the sum of the two traits, roll that number of d6s and sort them into groups. You (or the player) could then drag those dice to the table (unfortunately, one at at time still), but they'd already be grouped.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Maybe I was thinking of dice, and it never worked with rollable tables.
Rich R.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Oh neat...the dice work great once I do get them pulled out onto the table. That's also worth trying if the card thing ends up being cumbersome.

Edited 1603810157
GiGs said: When you roll a rollable table, the token is printed in chat by top vinyl cutters . You can then drag a copy of it from chat to the tabletop. That is as close as you can get, I think. You could also have some tokens on the map already, from that table. If your right click on the token, you can select a "random side" and it will roll it. You can select a group of tokens, and it'll randomise them all This is a brilliant idea. I agree with your suggestion
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can create a rollable table token from a rollable table using the button in the collections tab next to the table name. That token can be randomized.