Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Moldvay character sheet: does it work?

Hey all, I'm going to run a B/X game on Roll20 next week and I've been making a character with the Moldvay sheet. I can't figure out if the built-in attack roll macros are working correctly. I did a bunch of test rolls with a character who has +1 Strength bonus, and got rolls like these: I don't understand what I'm looking at. It seems like it's saying the roll "hits AC X for Damage Y", but then I can't explain AC16 (which isn't a valid AC in this edition) or why AC 17 is a terrible miss. It also seems like the THACO table doesn't update based on Strength bonus. The saving throws were all 15s as well. I was under the impression that picking a class would set a bunch of values on the sheet, but it doesn't seem like it. Does anyone know what the expected behavior is? Thanks! Thanks in advance.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
My guess is it's calculating the AC you would be able to hit with your roll. The AC17 roll is a terrible miss because the die rolled a 20. When the yellow box has a red border, that indicates a roll of 20. If the border is green, it's a roll of 1. If you hover the mouse cursor over the yellow box, you can see a breakdown of the roll. I cant answer the THACO/Saves, but maybe the rolls take the stat bonuses into account.
Thanks for the info about the rolls. I'll investigate a bit more. 
Any idea if the encumbrance is supposed to work? I thought Adam Koebel mentioned it would add up the coins you're carrying and adjust accordingly.

Edited 1601109114
Gold
Forum Champion
I've used this Sheet, it has worked in the recent past. DM Lowe can answer this. Vince also knows about it. The greens and reds are.. Red is for Natural 1 was rolled. Green is for the highest pip on that particular dice was rolled (such as Natural 20 on hit rolls, or the 7 on damage that's shown on your screen shot). AC's higher than 10 are usually a miss, of course.  So you know right away that hitting AC 12 is a miss. The one that's RED was a NATURAL ONE that's why it would only hit an AC of 17 (much worse than the base AC 10 or 9). Your last 2 mace shots are HITS depending on the target AC. One of your shots hits an AC 8 (that's around Leather Armor, or just-a-Shield).  The last shot hit an excellent AC -1, which would hit most creatures. You got Max Damage (7) on one of the rolls, must've been a d6 that rolled a max, 6, and you've got +1 bonus applied.

Edited 1601183590
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
What Gold said. ;-) You can look at the AC listed in chat as the lowest threshold at which the attack would hit.&nbsp; If you hit an AC10, that means you would hit an enemy of AC10 or greater(11,12, 13, ...) and you would miss an AC9 or lower(8, 7, 6, ...).&nbsp; If you hover over the AC inline roll, you will see the formula used to determine the AC threshold, the die rolled, and any modifiers applied.&nbsp; Here's the attack macro which might help understand what is happening. &amp;{template:odnd} {{combat=1}} {{name=@{Name}}} {{title=@{MeleeWeaponName1}}} {{attack=[[ @{HitAC0}[THAC0] - (@{toHitRoll}[Dice Roll] + @{MeleeToHit1}[Bonus] + (?{Bonus/Minus|0})[ADD'L BONUS]) ]] }} {{damage=[[@{MeleeDmg_Die1}+@{MeleeDmg_Bonus1}]]}} @{toHitRoll} is actually "1d20cs20cf1" which rolls a d20 and also determines the border color for crit fail/success as Gold explained. Encumbrance only kind of works... Item weight and coin weight are calculated as encumbrance (total weight carried), you must do the math for item quantities greater than 1.&nbsp; Also, carrying capacities are not reflected in the movement fields on the sheet.&nbsp; I assume this must also be adjusted manually as well.&nbsp; I really cannot recall the encumbrance and carrying capacity rules for the Basic edition (I bought the Expert box as a kid because the Red box was sold out that day.&nbsp; lol)&nbsp; Here's a couple links that may help&nbsp; <a href="https://redmoosegames.blogspot.com/2010/10/encumbrance-in-moldvay-basic-d.html" rel="nofollow">https://redmoosegames.blogspot.com/2010/10/encumbrance-in-moldvay-basic-d.html</a> <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/8qbhpx/becmi_q_for_oldschool_players_what_effects/e0nq7yw?utm_source=share&amp;utm_medium=web2x&amp;context=3" rel="nofollow">https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/8qbhpx/becmi_q_for_oldschool_players_what_effects/e0nq7yw?utm_source=share&amp;utm_medium=web2x&amp;context=3</a> Cheers
Thanks everyone. I had a feeling that some of the sheet functionality would calculate things, but wasn't sure which.