Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[AD&D 2E Revised] BETA: Spell selection. Spell slots, points, arc, and wind styled. Spell notes and bug fixes

Edited 1601302538
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Hello Roll20 and AD&D players. I am back with some new features and bug fixes :) Here is the Github PR New Features: Spell selection and detailed spells (Beta) This is a Beta feature , and therefore only implemented on Wizard and Priest level 1  spells I have added a new repeating section for writing down spells. This was added because spells are really complex, but the current input fields for keeping track of this information is lacking. All the old repeating sections remain! Wizard Priest Collapsed view: Detailed view: Collaped view: Detailed view: Additions: The major changes added here is the possibility to add all the needed fields for a spell. This makes it easier to get a quick look at the Duration or the Area of Effect of a spell. The Spell Effect  field has been changed from an <input> field to a <textarea> field, allowing players to expand and resize it, to get a better overlook the text in the field. To avoid taking up too much space, the details have been designed to be collapsable, via a checkbox. Two buttons has been added Roll Spell Effect  and  Roll Template     Roll Spell Effect  works just like it does on the old sections: It prints whatever is written in the spell effects field to the chat     Roll Template  reads all the fields from the spell and prints out a 2eSpell template in the chat. Styling This spell section has been made with flexbox, giving a responsive design, based on screen size. This gets around the old styling scheme with 3 hard defined columns for spells. A narrow screen will only show a single column, where wider screens will show more: One column Two columns Three columns Spell selection (Beta) To help players fill out all these fields, a spell selection dropdown has been added with spells to selection from. The default value is Custom  allowing for players to define their own custom spells manually. The other values are spells from the Player's Handbook. Pick one and the spell will auto fill the fields for you. Picking a spell The result Once a spell is picked it is ready to fire using the Roll Template  button: Notes on the auto fill The text for the auto fill has been copied directly from the Player's Handbook. This include newlines and tabulation in the Effect section.     Only minor changes has been added, such as stateting the current scaling, ie. a spell gives 10% chance per level, will show the current chance after the scaling text     In the case of Endure Heat / Endure Cold, the temperature ranges has been given both in F and in C, because I am a European, and cannot be bother to convert that number every time :P All scaling or rolling has been wrapped in square brackets ([[ ]]) for it to auto calculate.     Spells with a maximum cap has also been implemented, so that Burning Hands for instance does not deal more than the +20 damage     Duration for spell are also being rolled even though the PHB, states that the DM should roll this secretly. This is subject to change based on player feedback The level for the spell is read from a new field:  . It is PARAMOUNT that you fill out these fields or the scaling will not work. The default value is 1, aka first level, so all spells will be cast as a first level character if not changed / updated.     This field can reference to another field or just be a straight integer value. All usages of the field is wrapped in parenthesis, so it is allowed to write '@{level-class3}+2' if under the influence of a priest Combine spell, that only raises Caster level, but not HP, Thac0 or proficiencies. The materials needed to cast a spell, has been moved from the spell's effect to the Material field. This feature is in a Beta, so there might be errors, or inconsistencies. If you have any feedback, feel free to contact me about any of it and I will look into it. My current goal is to transcribe all the spells from the Player's Handbook into Roll20! Styling Spell slots, points, arc, and Wind Before After Changes The Spell points and Arc has been moved to its own section, and is now hideable with a checkbox. The Spell slots has been changed to be more inline with the styling of the rest of the sheet The maximum number of spells allowed based on intelligence has been added to wizards spell slots There is no fancy math implemented to keep the Total  from going over the Max . This is for the player to handle. The old 'Spells Selected' has been renamed to 'Available to Memorize' This was done because the name was really confusing. The field was named 'Spells Selected', but did not count up every time you selected a spell. Instead it counted down everytime you picked a spell. So the field should have been named 'Spells remaining to be selected' which is a bit long. Therefore it was named to 'Available to Memorize' The old 'Spells Remaining' has been renamed to 'Available to Cast' This field counted down every time you cast a spell, so it should have been called 'Spells remaining (to be cast)', again a bit long so it was changed to the new name. OBS: No underlying math has been changed! All the values are exatly the same as they were before! These new names also match the new section for tracking spells a lot better. Before  After Changes The same as above for wizard, except for maximum spells for each level, as it only matters for wizards. Automatically sets the number of bonus spells based on Wisdom, when updating the Wisdom value in the Ability Scores section. This functionality is the same as Rogue skills based on Dexterity Bonus Spell Points based on intelligence or wisdom is not  automatically updated. I have never played with these rules and therefore do not know what the values should be, or how it works. Old repeating spell sections got centered Before After Properly centered the tables Removed A LOT of invalid HTML from the source code for my own sanity Bug fixes and miscellaneous The attributes total-arc-remaining and total-wind-remaing can now be accessed. These two previously had the same attribute name, so trying to access wind, would give 'not found' and tring to access arc would give the value for wind. Before After Changes Text in 2espell roll template effect got justified, to easier see line breaks in the text Spell notes After Added notes on memorization and spell duration I always forget if it is a Round or a Turn that is 1 or 10 minutes, so now it is visible directly on the sheet, in the buttom of the spells section As always I need everyone to give a BIG ASS shout out to our champion  Andreas J.   He keeps on uploading my code again and again for me to test it! He is truly impressive and relentless in his pursuite of making life better for all of us! This is all for now. I hope you like the coming changes and I look forward to your feedback :)
Very Nice.... =)
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Just letting people know that these changes are now live :)
Excellent, thank you.
I notice that it is possible to have new paragraphs in the spell effects description with the new fields, but with the old macros this kind of formatting does not seem to work. Is it possible to add support for newlines in the 2Espell macro?
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
empireofjade said: I notice that it is possible to have new paragraphs in the spell effects description with the new fields, but with the old macros this kind of formatting does not seem to work. Is it possible to add support for newlines in the 2Espell macro? Hello and welcome! Glad you are playing around with the new changes. Yes it is possible. The reason why it isn't possible currently, is because the field where you input the data is an input field <input type="text"> If I change it to be a textarea then it will be possible: <textarea></textarea> This would also allow you to change size of the fields for easier reading. Let me know if you would dislike the change from input to textarea.
Peter B. said: empireofjade said: I notice that it is possible to have new paragraphs in the spell effects description with the new fields, but with the old macros this kind of formatting does not seem to work. Is it possible to add support for newlines in the 2Espell macro? Hello and welcome! Glad you are playing around with the new changes. Yes it is possible. The reason why it isn't possible currently, is because the field where you input the data is an input field <input type="text"> If I change it to be a textarea then it will be possible: <textarea></textarea> This would also allow you to change size of the fields for easier reading. Let me know if you would dislike the change from input to textarea. I would support changing that field. Many spell macros have tables or at least longer text that would benefit from no being just a wall of text. I don't know if it would break anything. I'll just add that I very much like the new spell entry format, and it kind of obviates the old spell macros, so I would really support moving the sheet to that format. I'm in a game that's playing the Dark Sun setting. I've made macros for all of the psionic powers (revised rules...). If that's useful to anyone I'd be happy to put them up somewhere. Ideally there would be a format similar to the new spell format for those powers, but I understand it's probably not a priority.
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
empireofjade said: I would support changing that field. Many spell macros have tables or at least longer text that would benefit from no being just a wall of text. I don't know if it would break anything. I'll just add that I very much like the new spell entry format, and it kind of obviates the old spell macros, so I would really support moving the sheet to that format. I'm in a game that's playing the Dark Sun setting. I've made macros for all of the psionic powers (revised rules...). If that's useful to anyone I'd be happy to put them up somewhere. Ideally there would be a format similar to the new spell format for those powers, but I understand it's probably not a priority. My hope with the new spell entry format is to make the old obsolete. My original plan was to "force" everyone over to the new format, as I had a lot of issues with the old one. However moving data from one field to another is a very delicate task, and an error can cause data loss for players, which I am trying to avoid. That is why I created the new format, and hoped that people would change over to that, so eventually over time the old one could just be deleted, or hidden away in some legacy section. My goal for the new spell sections is as follows: Add all spells from the players handbook Add all spells from the wizard and priest handbook Add all  spells.... It will take quite some time to get through everything, so I was hoping that some helpful players would turn up and help me with the data. The fact that you have all the psionic spells is great and I am definitly interested! Only thing is that I have never played with Psionics so I have a very poor entry point for reading / validating them. So for now I will put a pause on that and focus on all the spells from the PHB. Maybe some day in the future I will take you up on your offer and get the macros from you! About the input -> textarea. I have had other players ask for the same, so I will look into changing them :)
I played in a game using the 2E character sheet over the weekend and we had terrible trouble with the "Initiative" rolls. Is there a problem with this in connection with spells? It seemed to work OK for weapons. Or am I missing something?
As with weapons.... There must be a value in weapon speed for Initiative to process the values correctly. As with spells..... There must be a value in casting time for initiative to process correctly. Misc Equipment....Same here, needs to be a value in the Speed box... I see if these areas are left as null (empty)... then init does not process correctly.. Is this what you were experiencing...???