Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

First-Time Module-Purchaser

I'm planning on starting a new campaign soon so I'm considering buying my first module(s) on Roll20.  However, I'm wondering if I should only be looking at modules for the system I plan to run or can I look at others and then just change the character sheet to match the desired system?  For example, I already own a copy of Wrath of the Righteous (a Pathfinder module).  If I buy it in Roll20, it would save me A LOT of time (obviously).  But, I'm planning to run a D&D 5e game.  I'm fine with adjusting the monsters, etc.  I'm mostly interested in the maps and other stuff that isn't generally system-specific. Related question:  Can I change a campaign after-the-fact?  In the above example, I've already started that campaign from scratch but could I change to Wrath now that it's begun or would I have to make a new campaign to gain the benefits? Finally, is it possible to use multiple modules in the same Roll20 campaign?  I usually splash in a few (in part or in full) into a campaign.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Modules are totally segregated entities that you choose at game creation.  You can't add one to an existing game.  However, since you have a pro subscription, you can create individual "library" games from multiple modules and then use the transmogrifier to bring assets from those modules into an active game as needed.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, yes, you could choose a different character sheet at game creation time. As you suspected, the character sheets of all monsters and NPCs will be pretty much garbage, but if you want to put in the time and effort to make new ones and link them to the tokens, that should be doable. (In fact, it might make an interesting short script project for someone like the Aaron. To change all of the tokens in a campaign that represent one creature to represent a different creature.) You can change the character sheet at any time, with the above caveats. The module's assets will be largely useful: maps, Dynamic Lighting, Handouts, etc. If the module contains macros, some of those might be invalidated. You might need to change page settings to account for some system-specific stuff, like swapping Pathfinder movement counting for D&D, for example.
Kraynic, thanks for the idea.  I know I have access to the transmogrifier but it never crosses my mind to investigate what it does :P Keithcurtis, I hadn't thought of the macros but I usually do my own anyway so that's probably fine.  The maps, lighting, handouts, etc. are what I was thinking of.  That's still a decent chunk of time saving I don't have to do manually.

Edited 1601357429
Gold
Forum Champion
I've done this quite a bit, and I have mixed feelings. There are some hazards. It's what Keithcurtis said though. So I endorse that response. If you don't mind the Module's pre-built Characters-Monsters (sheets/stats) being lost or borked, then yeah you can use a different game system &amp; different sheet. Here are 2 Suggestion threads on the Roll20 Forum, asking for the compatibility to use the original system's Sheet for the module, while using a different sheet for Player-Characters (game that you are playing), WITHOUT losing that presentation of the data from the module purchased:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6493089/multiple-sheets-in-a-game" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6493089/multiple-sheets-in-a-game</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7926666/more-than-1-character-sheet-template" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7926666/more-than-1-character-sheet-template</a> please add your +1 Vote and Comments if that would also help your gaming

Edited 1603431552
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I've done similar to what you have mentioned.&nbsp; I had a game that had a folder for all of the sheets for one version and another folder for a different version. Mind you, only one would work at a time depending on what I had selected, but to switch back I just had to change the sheet. If you are able to find any of the adventures you want as Addons instead of Modules, you can add the adventure directly to an existing game. However, you may find the options for Addon adventures a bit limited. It is worth a look though.&nbsp; I do recommend looking through the assortment of 5e adventures that are available. There are a lot of great content creators on Roll20 and you might be able to save yourself a lot of work if you can find ones that interest you. Not that it is meant to be a shameless plug or anything, but I personally just released two 5e adventures for 5th to 6th level PCs, and they are both Addons. :D Good luck and happy gaming!