Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Quick 2-hour one shot recommendation

I was browsing the 1-shots available on the marketplace and the average finish times were not listed or I was missing them. I am trying to get a group of D&D skeptics to give them game a try with a 1-shot and anything longer 2-2.5 hours will be too much for them. Any help on this would be appreciated. To add to this I am going to be GMing for the first time on roll20. I have played on roll20 before and GMed IRL but not on roll20 and not with a pre-made adventure so I am looking for an easy adventure where I can learn as well. Thanks in advance!
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Take a look at these one-shot packages from AAW Games. You can choose what level your party will be at, and then you get a group of one-shots at $1 per encounter. MDT 5E: Level 1 Adventures MDT 5E: Level 2 Adventures  -  Trailer MDT 5E: Level 3 Adventures  -  Trailer MDT 5E: Level 4 Adventures MDT 5E: Level 5 Adventures MDT 5E: Level 6 Adventures MDT 5E: Holiday Adventures Realize that you will spend a bunch of time just getting them up to speed on the interface and D&D in general, so 2-2.5 hours is a bit optimistic. You might want to focus on just some role play and a single encounter rather than an entire one shot.
Hi Brian, thanks for the links and the advice. I actually have 3 hours with them and I am handing them premade characters. So, with all the intro and such we should have about 2-2.5 hours for a short adventure. Looks like what you sent is pretty nice for a quick roleplay/single encounter session. If they decide to stay on, I might weave a couple of them into an adventure. Do you have a specific mini-adventure you would recommend to start in the level 1 MDT? Thanks again!

Edited 1601356913
Gold
Forum Champion
Sounds like you are on a good track with Brian's AAW offerings. In terms of the official 5E modules by WoTC, the only one that fits your needs and has fit that for a long time is LMoP -- the Lost Mines of Phandel. Truly is-was designed as an introduction adventure, one of the first 5E products that came out. Personally, my recommendation is create your own entire one-shot adventure. Use some of the free graphics in Roll20 or buy 1 or 2 marketplace Art Packs (such as a Gabriel Packard map pack, and a BrassBadger token pack, for example). Put it ALL on one large PAGE of roll20 (that you create in advance spending a few hours of prep time). Page size of 50x50 is my recommended starting size for you if making this. You're making Pre-Gen characters already, you will place their pre-made Tokens on the page (top left corner, recommended) and have everything ready for start-time on game day.  An adventure of 3 locations ("3 maps") will be MORE than enough for your time slot. To me, the adventure can be as simple as: City Gates > Forest > Heart of the Forest encounter. (1, 2, 3). Put an NPC guard at the city gates. Put an NPC (a hunter?) and 1 beast monster in the forest section (sabre-tooth tiger?? large spider?? ettercap??). Put a "boss monster" in the Heart map for the finale' (Owlbear??). Done! Make up the verbal descriptions and clues, as you go along, just dream about it for a while in advance to have some ideas ready depending on what the players say-do. For example maybe the Guard at the Gats will say "There is a reward 100 GP for a feather from the mysterious owl that has been reported in the nearby forest." And I promise, in my experience that's enough material for a 2-hour one-shot with new players and starting GM.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Neurolancer said: Hi Brian, thanks for the links and the advice. I actually have 3 hours with them and I am handing them premade characters. So, with all the intro and such we should have about 2-2.5 hours for a short adventure. Looks like what you sent is pretty nice for a quick roleplay/single encounter session. If they decide to stay on, I might weave a couple of them into an adventure. Do you have a specific mini-adventure you would recommend to start in the level 1 MDT? Thanks again! From Level 1: Hobgoblin Lair: for a more traditional dungeon crawl The Soularium: for "investigate the nice clerics who are actually evil" The Spinner's Hole: for something a bit more stealthy For a bunch of new players, you may want to scale the difficulty back every so slightly, let bad guys run away, etc.
I really liked the Stranger Things adventure. It was fast and pretty fun, especially if you are fans of the show. We skipped using the included characters and made our own. I would recommend it.
You want this to last about 2 to 2 and a half hours, correct? Don't have the players try and create their own characters, that alone will take over an hour unless they are completely familiar with the rules. Use pre-generated characters, that you create and build a short story encounter around those characters. Have them start on a road perhaps heading to a town, they could be assaulted by bandits, orcs, goblins, or whatever you can think of, keep it simple, have them end in town in a tavern (instead of starting there) and let them Role Play from there. Maybe you have the sheriff come in and inquire about the attack, maybe he offers a reward or another quest. I guarantee that will fill your time and if you've got them hooked they will have a lot of fun just Role Playing in the tavern...
Coryphon
Pro
Sheet Author
Arcane Library has some lovely reasonably priced one-shots, very easy to run with minimal prep and generally very well regarded I think...
Finished my game today. Thank you all for your advice. @Ajax, I give them pre-gen characters and it was great. We will be starting a longer game with them now.