Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to turn pop-out chat back to normal?

Hi, I'm not sure if this a bug or if I just don't know how to do something, but I'd appreciate some help. So, I have an old mouse that tends to double-click by accident. Whenever I (accidentally) double-click on the chat icon, the chat window (which is also where I roll all my dice) disappears from its "normal" place and reappears as a pop-out window that I can move around. Now, I don't actually WANT a pop-out window, I'd like the normal chat tab back. The problem is, once it goes pop-out, I can't put it back in its normal place, and I can't even find any documentation on HOW I'm supposed to put it back. Dragging it in its former place doesn't help, it's still a separate window. Closing the pop-out by clicking on the X in the top right of its window makes it disappear, but the normal chat tab does NOT reappear. In fact, once I close the pop-out, I can't get it back in any form (normal OR pop-out) short of closing and reopening Roll 20. So, my question is two-fold: one, how is it SUPPOSED to work? How do I make the pop-out go away and the normal chat tab reappear? And two, if it's supposed to be done by closing the pop-out (as I suspect), then why doesn't it work for me, and how can I fix it? I'm using Chrome on a Win 7 PC, and I've already tried the first three "steps" described in tech help: made sure Chrome is up-to-date, cleared cache, turned off extensions, without result.

Edited 1602515219
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That is odd, since closing the popped out chat window usually closes it for me and restores it to its normal place. You might want to turn on Advanced Hotkeys  (also called Advanced Keyboard Shortcuts), since these will allow you to switch to the chat input by typing "cc" Question: Have you tried using Firefox, just to eliminate the possibility that it is a Chrome interaction issue?
Question: Have you tried using Firefox, just to eliminate the possibility that it is a Chrome interaction issue? Not yet, but that's the next thing I'll try. (Sorry for late reply, I wasn't near my computer.)
So, update: I've tried it with Firefox (recentmost version), and it works there fine, so it looks like a Chrome issue.
Bump. Same issue on Chrome.
Yeah, I have the same problem. Would be nice if it were possible to disable the Pop-Out Chat somehow.
Bump, same issue on Chrome.
Bump, same issue on Chrome.
Please fix very bothersome. chrome . pop out chat cannot be returned with out refresh.
This is very annoying, especially when the game takes a long time to re-load.

Edited 1608270608
Getting the same thing, but with all windows - chat, journal, compendium, etc. I'm on Chrome too.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yup, this has been reported in several threads and  Help Center Requests . The dev team is definitely aware of the issue. This started over a month ago with a Chrome update, and as yet I have heard nothing about a resolution. It's likely a Chrome change that is not an easy fix. :(
This is still happening on Chrom any resolution now that we are all the way at the end of January
I'm actually having this issue on both Chrome AND Firefox which is making it kinda of difficult for our current stream setup.
Also on chrome here.
Guess they fixed it by turning off the pop out. Oops.  Please turn the Chat pop out back on....
^ Please fix!
same problem
I want to be able to disable the popout chat. I keep accidentally popping it out, and there's no way to put it back in without reloading.
This is still an issue. It's somewhat frustrating when I accidentally double-click on the chat icon and then can't put the pop-up back into the collapsed form. 
This is frustrating me as well.
same problem...
+1 broken in chrome
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This has been broken since October of last year and has been reported many, many times. It is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon. :(
my game opens to the chat beinging completely gone and I have to open it up on a new tab, tf is this. I've been prepping for 3 hours and then this shit just randomly happens and I can't turn it off????? this is garbage.
same issue on chrome