Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

using compendium and tokens

Edited 1603227048
I have this problem with tokens and this is two years old and was closed without much of a fix <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6596370/cant-add-some-creatures-from-my-compendium#newtopic" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6596370/cant-add-some-creatures-from-my-compendium#newtopic</a> The only difference are 1. sometimes I get no token, and 2. sometimes I get a token with no graphics, and 3 yet other times the token is there but have no attributes or no character sheet. and 4. I don;t seem to be able to add all the compendiums like Volos that I purchased. and the players don't seem to have the players handbook.&nbsp; And 5. The players are always saying "Why does my wizard have sneak attack," and "why does my feat like hunter's mark or sharp shooter show up when it isn't supposed to?" and then... "How did I possibly roll an 18 on a d4?" I started this game this past spring during the crush at Roll20 and I wonder if my pro account is corrupted, or there's too many images and imports, or the game is otherwise corrupted. I am not complaining, just would like to understand why these things continue after 6 months.&nbsp; Something is really wrong and I'm thinking of starting a new game, but need to know if it is going to continue...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Well to begin with, that referenced issue was fixed and fairly quickly. It just wasn't announced in that thread. Since it was fixed an no further posts were needed, it closed after 2 months of inactivity, naturally. As for the other issues, You'd have to give specific examples, preferably that are repeatable. If not, then at least show some screen shots so folks might be able to figure out what's going on. Specifically, with the Compendiums not showing, something sounds like it is going wrong procedurally there. It could be a compendium not chosen for a game, turned off, or not shared. Please post screen shots of settings and hopefully folks can get that working for you.
Thank you for the reply. I realize there is a lot there and only asked because it is reaching a point of being unusable. That’s one reason to start a new game. &nbsp;I will attempt to gather information if these things occur in my new game. I was hoping that someone could look at my account and ensure it is correctly configured in the database. I know that takes time and that is appreciated. &nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Most common compendium issues are: Not having it selected as the compendium of choice for the game. This can occur when creating a game that uses a community sheet rather than an official sheet. The official sheet will choose automatically. Other sheets require this as a manual step. Not turning on compendium sharing for said game and making sure you have enough slots to cover number of games and players per game. (Less likely) Manually turning off a specific compendium source. Most of these things can be corrected on the game settings page. Not sure how a wizard might have gotten a sneak attack. Are you using the&nbsp;D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet and Charactermancer? Although the charactermancer does automate character creation and leveling, there is nothing that can't be overridden manually. An errant drag from the compendium could add a feat or a class feature for instance. You can drag "Sneak Attack" onto any character. You can also "confuse" the charactermancer if you try to undo something once done.

Edited 1603261112
Thanks again. Much appreciated.&nbsp; I am using everything official and purchased or with pro subscription and with 5e only. &nbsp;The main problem is for every ten people who join, Then one will play. Does that mean i have to kick (ban) random people to get the player count down, because 80-90% banning players who joined will hurt &nbsp;my future games and is bad for the players who are honestly trying to learn and just “had a schedule change” or whatever. &nbsp;There has to be a better way of reducing player count without banning people. But if that’s the only way then I’ll work through kicking/banning Non-active players.&nbsp; and i ask, are people joining just to get compendiums and then never coming back? Is that a thing?&nbsp;

Edited 1603261185
What do you mean this post is deleted by the mods?&nbsp; //////////// the post //////// Thanks again. Much appreciated.&nbsp; I am using everything official and purchased or with pro subscription and with 5e only. &nbsp;The main problem is for every ten people who join, Then one will play. Does that mean i have to kick (ban) random people to get the player count down, because 80-90% banning players who joined will hurt &nbsp;my future games and is bad for the players who are honestly trying to learn and just “had a schedule change” or whatever. &nbsp;There has to be a better way of reducing player count without banning people. But if that’s the only way then I’ll work through kicking/banning Non-active players.&nbsp; and i ask, are people joining just to get compendiums and then never coming back? Is that a thing?&nbsp;
WarHorse said: The main problem is for every ten people who join, Then one will play. Does that mean i have to kick (ban) random people to get the player count down, because 80-90% banning players who joined will hurt &nbsp;my future games and is bad for the players who are honestly trying to learn and just “had a schedule change” or whatever. I'm curious, why do you have so many players in a single game? What do you mean by "for every ten people who join, then one will play"? Are you inviting 50-100 people to your game so that you will get 5-10 in any particular game session?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't think people are joining in order to get Compendium access. They would only get it while logged in to your game and only within that game. It sounds like you are using a recruitment process that does not work well with the intended usage of Compendium Sharing. Yes, if you want to have Compendium Access for your active players, you will need to boot the inactive ones. Or just put up with only random players having access.
So keith. I have to permanently BAN players? I am a 28 year software engineering professional. &nbsp;There must be a better way to write that code. &nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You don't have to permanently "ban" them. They can be re-invited at any time. All you are doing is removing them from the roster of active participants. Out of curiosity, so I understand the situation better, how are you managing the membership currently? It seems terribly inefficient (and confusing) to invite ten people into a game only for one to become a player. It is my understanding that most GMs vet their membership to some degree before issuing an invitation. This sounds unusual.
thanks for your advice. It is appreciated. &nbsp;I work 70-80 hours a week. I also run 2 games. &nbsp;Roll20 is a learn as you go system, or watch 3 hour videos on you tube. It is also hope the newest system releases don’t blow up the entire software base. &nbsp;AND i joined in march/april when covid hit and roll20 was overloaded.&nbsp; So I learn as I go with the little time I have For fun. And it is about fun. I’m getting better. &nbsp;Roll20 is getting better. &nbsp;Players will jump in and out of the games when they get bored or annoyed. (Not here to make everyone happy so that’s okay with me.)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It sounds like your style might be a good fit for the Pick Up Games feature.
thanks for your advice and assistance.