Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Resting activities

During the week’s rest, Erasmus has been spending his time reading in the library, walking the grounds of the abbey and surrounding area, and resupplying. He has replenished his holy water flask (-25gp) and topped up his supply of darts (-1gp, now has 24). As the week has gone by, Erasmus has become more and more distant and isolated. On the first day, Erasmus visited Jyrdani in the infirmary and recounted the events in the Everflame Crypt. He visited for a short time every morning until she was up and about, but then he was quite conspicuously not wherever she could be found. At mealtimes, if Jyrdani sat with him, Erasmus would be polite and courteous but would limit his conversation to short answers and never initiated a dialogue.
Recent Game events:  18/6/1359 Everflame Crypt liberated, heroes return to St Cecilia's Strohm meets Sister Bronda. 28/6/1359 Qiviel Rip Tear & Quagg Wenders recruited by Den the Miner to clear Den's Cave. 29/6/1359 Failed assault on Den's Cave, Rip Tear killed. _________ 1/7/1359 Paladin Qiviel visits St Cecilia's Abbey, prays and is miraculously refreshed and restored to full strength (as if by Long Rest). Current date for start of Session 20: 2/7/1359 At St Cecilia's Abbey, Abbess Mara Alotious has summoned assorted local heroes for the planned assault on the wicked Shrine of Chaos.
Next game will start two weeks after the liberation of Everflame Crypt to allow for various PC side quest, training etc. Syrus can spend the time to long rest, master the Arcana skill, and craft up to 4 level 1 spell scrolls at a cost of 25gp per scroll. All spells must be on his known spells list.
Simon N. said: Next game will start two weeks after the liberation of Everflame Crypt to allow for various PC side quest, training etc. Syrus can spend the time to long rest, master the Arcana skill, and craft up to 4 level 1 spell scrolls at a cost of 25gp per scroll. All spells must be on his known spells list. Got it, Thank You!! :)

Edited 1604020735
During downtime at St Cecilia's Abbey, Syrus has been putting his Arcana skills to good use, scribing 4x scrolls of level 1 spells ready for the trip to the Shrine of Chaos (100gp spent) and sharpening his trusty arrowheads after the recent encounter with the Undead. At the same time, he has been busy putting together new songs about the previous adventures. Although knowing that the version he sang on return from the crypt was assured to be a no.1 hit, nevertheless, it is still way too short and needs extending. After all, he did not mention the 50 skellies that emerged from the pool in the chamber off the foyer of the Crypt that he and the Brave paladin slew together, and how his Amazing death-defying-high-octave vocals caused the Boss Monster's ears to bleed and cower to the ground... His audience would DEFINITELY want to hear this full version - how could he disappoint their excitement!!?! Syrus noticed too that he did not see much of his pal 'Ras over the course of the week, and spent much of the week playing 'Where's 'Ras?' around the Abbey. "Bet you he's in that library being a geek again, but why would you be cooped up indoors with books when you can serenading the nuns in the 'unconventional' outfits in the great outdoors?" Whenever Syrus thinks about 'Ras and his boring books, it prompted him to check on the summoning tome that he swiped from him - phew, luckily it is still there in the bag. He could not wait to get rid of it, "It's so heavy and cumbersome!" 'Ras can only be seen with others at mealtimes. When eating in the dining hall, Syrus and the now recovered Jyrdani often sat together, but 'Ras always seemed to prefer sitting on his own or away from them... like some unpopular nerd back at school. Syrus could not resist throwing bits of bread at him across the hall - much to the disdain of the nuns - but 'Ras did not flinch even when they bounced off his head... what's wrong with that Miserable Monk??

Edited 1604037341
Towards the end of their downtime, Syrus ran into Erasmus in the hall and collared him. Syrus began grilling him about his strange attitude recently and asking what happened between him and Jyrdani, insinuating that perhaps she was too much woman for the monk.  Erasmus explained that his wife could still be alive. "I mean, the Monks of the Yellow Rose rescued and took me in, and we rescued the sisters from the orc cave. Who's to say some other roving party of adventurers did not deal with the orcs that attacked the village and emancipate Isawyn?  "Sure, I care greatly for Jyrdani. She has been a stalwart ally and she is obviously an outstanding beauty. And when she kissed me? I haven't felt like that since before my wife was taken from me. But Jyrdani is not my wife, and as long as there is a chance Isawyn lives, I cannot let my heart stray.  "I do not wish to see anyone else die. I failed Lothrin. I failed Dawn. I will do absolutely everything within my power to not fail you, my friend. I will do anything I can to not fail Jyrdani, Mirabelle, or Ser Jack, or Victoria, Norrin, Strohm and Ulric. "I'm sorry if I have been distant, and thank you for listening. But for now, please excuse me, I must meditate. Perhaps once we get back out on the trail, I can lose myself in the task at hand. Reading can only distract one so much." And with that, Erasmus strode off to quarters to complete his rituals. 
Hi Kenny - let me know which spells you put in your 4 scrolls. Kenny H. said: During downtime at St Cecilia's Abbey, Syrus has been putting his Arcana skills to good use, scribing 4x scrolls of level 1 spells ready for the trip to the Shrine of Chaos (100gp spent)
Simon N. said: Hi Kenny - let me know which spells you put in your 4 scrolls. Kenny H. said: During downtime at St Cecilia's Abbey, Syrus has been putting his Arcana skills to good use, scribing 4x scrolls of level 1 spells ready for the trip to the Shrine of Chaos (100gp spent) 2x Healing Word, and 2x Dissonant Whispers (have added these on my DDB Character Sheet)

Edited 1607804258
Loot from Shrine of Chaos: Coin: 253gp, 1516sp, 213cp Gems and trinkets: Item Value (gp) Jasper 40 Sardonyx 50 Star rose quartz 60 Zircon 50 Small bag of spices 29 Pewter pin 20 Polished stone holy symbol of Umberlee 29 Gold braid & leather pouch 22 Miscellaneous trinkets 10 Total 300 Total haul = 706gp, 7sp, 3cp. Erasmus pockets the odd 3cp and shares out 70gp, 6sp & 7cp to each of the party (including Jyrdani, Bronda & Praetoria, unless they tell him otherwise). There is also one Potion of Healing which Erasmus gives to Syrus to thank him for saving his life twice, and one Bead of Force [ link ] (which is up for grabs if anyone is particularly interested, otherwise Erasmus will keep hold of it).

Edited 1607827098
Let me know if you wish to create spell scrolls of known spells (with Arcana skill) or potions of healing (with Herbalism Kit skill) per the rules here  (eg level 1 Scroll 25gp & 1 day, level 2 scroll 250gp & 3 days). You have 30 days minus the time spent training to level, so net 20 days for Syrus, & net 10 days for Malied. Rem training at Tier 1 is 20gp & 10 days per level-up. I'm assuming you can dine out on your adventures & don't need to spend upkeep costs for the month.
Erasmus would like to undertake his training back at the Monastery of the Yellow Rose, if that's feasible. He'll iinvite Syrus and Jyrdani to accompany him, if they would like to, as the mountains are particularly beautiful at this time of the year. 
Tim M. said: Erasmus would like to undertake his training back at the Monastery of the Yellow Rose, if that's feasible. He'll iinvite Syrus and Jyrdani to accompany him, if they would like to, as the mountains are particularly beautiful at this time of the year.  That seems fine - Erasmus can train under old Master Temminische, who is concerned about rumours of the return of the Crimson Monks of Loviatar, who he defeated decades ago, and asks Erasmus to keep an eye on them.
Tim M. said: Loot from Shrine of Chaos: Coin: 253gp, 1516sp, 213cp Gems and trinkets: Item Value (gp) Jasper 40 Sardonyx 50 Star rose quartz 60 Zircon 50 Small bag of spices 29 Pewter pin 20 Polished stone holy symbol of Umberlee 29 Gold braid & leather pouch 22 Miscellaneous trinkets 10 Total 300 Total haul = 706gp, 7sp, 3cp. Erasmus pockets the odd 3cp and shares out 70gp, 6sp & 7cp to each of the party (including Jyrdani, Bronda & Praetoria, unless they tell him otherwise). There is also one Potion of Healing which Erasmus gives to Syrus to thank him for saving his life twice, and one Bead of Force [ link ] (which is up for grabs if anyone is particularly interested, otherwise Erasmus will keep hold of it). Tim I think you forgot the 3 set of plate armor on that list
WhiteValyrian said: Tim I think you forgot the 3 set of plate armor on that list Erasmus isn't bothered with armour, so he didn't take it. I understand that the three sets were used by Qiviel to procure a new set of full plate for herself. 
Oh cool must have miss that
Simon N. said: That seems fine - Erasmus can train under old Master Temminische, who is concerned about rumours of the return of the Crimson Monks of Loviatar, who he defeated decades ago, and asks Erasmus to keep an eye on them. I don't suppose the Monastery would have access to any magical monk weapons, by any chance? The axe is great and all, but Erasmus would feel much more comfortable with a quarterstaff or naginata-style weapon. 
Seeing the group would benefit more if he learn more spells than a simple fire bolt Strohm went back home to the forest of Leth to trained with the Elf Nobles. He also invite Bronda to come along and discuss with her Strohm plans to build himself a harem consisting of buxom girls like her and bringing them back to his home. 
WhiteValyrian said: Seeing the group would benefit more if he learn more spells than a simple fire bolt Strohm went back home to the forest of Leth to trained with the Elf Nobles. He also invite Bronda to come along and discuss with her Strohm plans to build himself a harem consisting of buxom girls like her and bringing them back to his home.  Sister Bronda politely declines! She does offer Strohm a cigar.

Edited 1607875434
Tim M. said: Simon N. said: That seems fine - Erasmus can train under old Master Temminische, who is concerned about rumours of the return of the Crimson Monks of Loviatar, who he defeated decades ago, and asks Erasmus to keep an eye on them. I don't suppose the Monastery would have access to any magical monk weapons, by any chance? The axe is great and all, but Erasmus would feel much more comfortable with a quarterstaff or naginata-style weapon.  The Yellow Rose do have the formula and materials (a darkwoood stave) for Erasmus to craft himself a +1 quarterstaff . Acquiring the necessary reagants would cost him 200gp, plus 2 weeks of crafting time (10 days crafting & 4 days break time). The hand axe could be traded for the necessary reagants.
Erasmus would like to take the time to acquire the darkwood staff. He will trade the dwarven handaxe to save the cost. 
Tim M. said: Erasmus would like to take the time to acquire the darkwood staff. He will trade the dwarven handaxe to save the cost.  OK, you may swap hand axe for staff! :)
Cool, thanks. 
Sister Bronda politely declines! She does offer Strohm a cigar. Sad but gratefully accept the gesture Strohm left for home alone for personal training
Does anyone have the ability to make potions of healing during downtime? Erasmus is willing to pay the gold cost if someone can provide a couple. If not, he will just buy some at full price. Thanks.
Wishing you all the best this holiday season! -- Geoff & Jill
Hope those of you that celebrate have had a nice Christmas day. Will miss the crew tomorrow, but looking forward to diving back in in what I hope will be a happier and healthier new year. 
If Erasmus has time, he would also return the Grimoire to Prior Mordrin.
Tim M. said: If Erasmus has time, he would also return the Grimoire to Prior Mordrin. Prior Mordrin thanks Erasmus for its safe return.
While he's there, he'll recount the trials faced in the Shrine of Chaos, the fall of Odric, the Sphinx, the recovery of the Sword of Amaul and the successful deactivation of the shrine. This is all the same info he gave to the monks at the Monastery. 
Malied secluded himself away to study, adding both Aganazzar's Scorcher and Flaming Sphere to his spell book. (leveling) As he finishes up his studying he'll look for a young child around the abby and start teaching them how to read.
James G. said: As he finishes up his studying he'll look for a young child around the abby and start teaching them how to read. Not gonna lie, I was worried where that was headed at first! That's a very nice thing to do. 😁
Yea, i was trying to find a better way to word it, if there was an orphanage around he’d have volunteered to teach classes to read/write and maybe cast a few spells 😉
Malied can teach some of the local kids in South Chaney Manor village how to read. Calum Jons the stableboy at the Frogsmouth Inn proves a promising pupil - he might even be a mage or wizard one day!
Simon - Just wondering; at level 4, would Erasmus still be considered an initiate or would he have been granted a new status within the order (and some new threads to o with it)? Thanks!

Edited 1609951008
Tim M. said: Simon - Just wondering; at level 4, would Erasmus still be considered an initiate or would he have been granted a new status within the order (and some new threads to o with it)? Thanks! You're now Immaculate! :D Same robes though. The Monastery of the  Yellow Rose Population: ca 200 Notables:  Kane , Grand Master Emeritus, Monk-10 Cantoule , the Grand Master of Flowers, Monk-9 Temmenische  the Venerable (age 95), Master of Spring, Monk-8.  Afrafa , Mistress of the Wind, Monk-7 Also known as the Citadel of the White  Worm, the Monastery of the Yellow Rose  was founded before either Vaasa or Damara.  The monks who established the  monastery more than a thousand years  ago crossed over land that would become  Damara when that unborn nation  was still overlain by the Great Glacier. Their order is devoted to Ilmater, the  god of suffering and endurance. These  fanatical devotees sought the most inhospitable  and difficult region they  could find as the place to locate their  temple. Not surprisingly, they eventually  came to the highest peaks of the  Earthspur Mountains. The building itself is enormous. Each  generation of monks adds new structures  and digs out deeper chambers.  Built on the stony side of a jagged mountain  peak, the monastery overlooks the  Glacier of the White Worm. About half  of the rooms look out into the daylight;  the other half are underground chambers  dug right into the mountain. The monks of the Yellow Rose are ascetic  and simple, but they are determined  to create beauty in hardship.  Their toils are matched by their stamina,  and both seem boundless. No monk  works less than 16 hours each and  every day. The lower initiates are responsible  for the bare necessities of  survival. They labor in the meager gardens,  haul ice to be melted for water, or  forage on the bleak mountainsides.  Their efforts enable their more skilled  superiors time to concentrate on creating  sculpture and tapestries. Few visit this place casually, for the  trails are not easily found or followed.  Those who do manage it, find the journey  worthwhile. The monastery is a  spectacular museum, with every room  exhibiting artwork and architecture reflecting  the supreme discipline of the  order. It is a monument to the ages, an  ever-growing tribute to the painstaking  stubbornness that has allowed mankind  to rise to dominance in the  Forgotten Realms. Extensive catacombs twist through  the mountain under the monastery,  threefold in purpose. Some sections  serve as burial vaults for deceased  monks. In another wing, a vast cellar  holds vats of wine that the monks make  from blueberries they collect. Finally,  the catacombs house the most complete archives of the Bloodstone Lands to be  found anywhere.  Each year, mid-level monks lead expeditions down the mountain to  the cities of Damara, Impiltur,  and in even Vaasa and Narfell. They concern themselves with news of local  births and deaths, travelers passing  through, and newcomers settling in the  region.  Monks of the Yellow Rose, Damara Novice - Level 1 Brother - Level 2 Disciple - Level 3 Immaculate - Level 4 Master  - Level 5 Master of Dragons - Level 6  - a  Master of Dragons  must have 'Ridden the Remorhaz'. (Patrick - former) Master of the South Wind (max 1) - Level 7 (Afrafa) Master of Spring (max 1) - Level 8 (Temmenische) Grand Master of Flowers (max 1) - Level 9 (Cantoule) - heads the Order Grand Masters Emeritus - Level 10+ (Kane)
Cool. Thanks Simon! :D

Edited 1610215834
So here is what Syrus has been up to since the big battle with the party - so backtracking time-wise!! Syrus thanks his pal ‘Ras for distributing the party treasure and accepts the Potion of Healing with gratitude and says with a wink, “Let’s hope I won’t need to use this potion on YOU, my dear friend!” —————————— Syrus also accepts Erasmus’ invitation to join him at the monastery. On route to the monastery, he would like to purchase a Herbalist Kit on route (5gp spent) and learn to be proficient with it - can he learn from someone during his stay with Erasmus and the monks at the Monastery of the Yellow Rose? The scenery was indeed very beautiful and inspiring!   While ‘Ras trained with the monks, Syrus will write songs describing the epic battles with the Cultists and Warriors of the Fat Ugly Toad god. A very special tribute song was written detailing the valours of Lady Victoria: always the first to smite the enemies and bring pain to all those who opposed our quest. The serene atmosphere at the monastery and the chanting of the monks inspired Syrus to give the tone of this song a more serious and memorable note - and less over-the-top than his usual musical styling… ...nevertheless, there was a light-hearted mention for her horse who actually kicked Vicky’s ass at dealing damage when we first met them both in the wilderness all those moons ago… Watching Erasmus train with the monks was very impressive, the ceremony to class 'Ras as an "Immaculate" brought a tear to Syrus' eye (but he blamed it on allergies). Syrus offered a song at the ceremony and sang of 'Ras' incredible bravery in vanquishing the Undead and the Unholy (and of course skipped over all the bits where he had to be brought back to life) ...and he definitely did not make up the bit about Erasmus stabbing out both the eyes of the Fat Ugly Toad god with the staff in one single blow!! Oh - did Jyrdani come with us too? If so, Syrus will deliberately get the 3 of us together then make some excuse to go and leave them both alone (maybe a runny tummy due to all those green vegetable things they serve at the monastery!!). He will also try to get 1-2-1 chats with them both to figure out their feelings for each other. ——————————— Nevertheless, watching all these monks 'dancing around' holding poles got VERY boring after a while. So after spending one week at the monastery and written a lot of new material (and hopefully now with proficiency with Herbalism Kit??), Syrus bids farewell to ‘Ras and Jyrdani and started to head back into town, where he rehearses his new songs and tries them out with new audiences around different taverns to gain reactions/feedback (and ignores them). Over this period in town, Syrus will also train to level up -   the sounds of the monks’ chanting made an impact on Syrus, and when combined with his signature sound, gave a new variation to his musical style. ….If he now has proficiency with Herbalism Kit, is there enough remaining time to create a few Healing potions? And if so which strength of healing potion is possible? He will also use his remaining time terms to create scrolls for the below 1st level spells, hope that’s OK? 2x Scrolls of “Cure Wounds” 2x Scrolls of “Healing Word” 2x Scrolls of “Dissonant Whispers” - Total gold: 6x 25gp = 150gp …Hopefully, skipping tonight’s game would allow extra in-game time to have all the above ready in time for me to rejoin game next week? ———————————— Do let me know your thoughts on the above… …Thanks Simon! :)

Edited 1610224496
Training Given enough free time and the Services of an Instructor, a character can learn a language or pick up proficiency with a tool. Resources. Receiving Training in a language or tool typically takes at least ten workweeks, but this time is reduced by a number of workweeks equal to the character’s Intelligence modifier (an Intelligence penalty doesn’t increase the time needed). Training costs 25 gp per workweek. If you have the cash you can spend 2 weeks training as a herbalist in the monastery at a cost of 50gp, and record that as progress towards the 10-INT mod weeks needed for Proficiency.
>>Oh - did Jyrdani come with us too? If so, Syrus will deliberately get the 3 of us together then make some excuse to go and leave them both alone (maybe a runny tummy due to all those green vegetable things they serve at the monastery!!). He will also try to get 1-2-1 chats with them both to figure out their feelings for each other.<< Yes Jyrdani came with you. She seems a bit miffed at Erasmus avoiding her (she clearly likes him), and doesn't know why he's turned so cold.
>>He will also use his remaining time terms to create scrolls for the below 1st level spells, hope that’s OK? 2x Scrolls of “Cure Wounds” 2x Scrolls of “Healing Word” 2x Scrolls of “Dissonant Whispers” - Total gold: 6x 25gp = 150gp<< Yup that's fine.
Kenny H. said:   Oh - did Jyrdani come with us too? If so, Syrus will deliberately get the 3 of us together then make some excuse to go and leave them both alone (maybe a runny tummy due to all those green vegetable things they serve at the monastery!!). He will also try to get 1-2-1 chats with them both to figure out their feelings for each other. When Syrus leaves Erasmus and Jyrdani alone, Erasmus tried to be jovial and friendly but is always left feeling awkward. He deliberately skirts the subject of the kiss at the Abbey, putting it down to Jyrdani's delerium. If ishe raises it, he makes his awkward excuses to leave.  During his conversations with Syrus, Erasmus points out his age and the awkward feelings he has for Jyrdani.  "I don't know how old she is, but she can't be old enough that she could really be interested in a doddery old fool like me surely? Sure, she's seen some things, and we all know such trauma makes one grow up before their time but is that enough, I wonder?  "Plus, there's the whole thing with my I-don't-know-if-she's-dead wife. How many people have we rescued? Who's to say someone didn't find the orcs that ransacked my village and rescued Isawyn? What if she's out there looking for me?" 
Oh, Erasmus also gives 50gp to Syrus to pay for some of the scrolls. 

Edited 1610298976
Hello Simon! Thanks so much for your reply and info! Yes, Syrus will indeed mark of 2 weeks out of 10 weeks (no INT modifier) needed to learn proficiency with Herbalism Kit in order to create healing potions (50gp deducted) Thanks for the 6x Scrolls (150gp deducted) Syrus will happily accept the 50gp from ‘Ras! :))) With regards to stats you quotes in the other thread, there is a correction for Syrus’ Passive Perception and Passive Investigation stats, see below in underlined italics Half-Elf male Lore Bard-4 XP: 3088/6500  AC 14   HP 31   P-PER 13 P-INV 12  P-INS 13 Thank You Simon!! ——————————————   Having had good chats with both Jyrdani and ‘Ras individually back at the monastery, Syrus thinks for a while and then decides to ignore everything ‘Ras had said to him and will try his best to rekindle the flames between them instead. …He also thought there are many songs to be written based on this blooming relationship of his friends, that could become a No.1 album across Faer’un!!
Thanks Kenny! BTW I've been learning to use the Roll20 music system - I don't think I'll use it much but I did upload the Conan (1982) soundtrack...
BTW it's an object interaction to draw a scroll from a belt pouch, and you need a free hand (eg rapier + free hand, but not two shortswords).
Simon N. said: Thanks Kenny! BTW I've been learning to use the Roll20 music system - I don't think I'll use it much but I did upload the Conan (1982) soundtrack... If you check out some of the tracks from I think Tabletop Audio, there are a few atmospheric background (such as forest camp, night; haunted crypt etc.) which are quite good. 
Good stuff! I've tried adding some. Tim M. said: If you check out some of the tracks from I think Tabletop Audio, there are a few atmospheric background (such as forest camp, night; haunted crypt etc.) which are quite good. 
Pretty sure I saw something somewhere, but what are your rules for acquiring magic items? Erasmus is particularly interested in finding something that could help him see in the dark...
There are some rules here -&nbsp; <a href="https://frloudwater.blogspot.com/2020/10/purchasing-magic-items-5e-d.html" rel="nofollow">https://frloudwater.blogspot.com/2020/10/purchasing-magic-items-5e-d.html</a> &nbsp;- however the Monks of the Yellow Rose have a cache of Goggles of Night, and you can 'indefinitely borrow' a pair from the Monastery, for a small 500gp donation towards repairing the Refectory roof. :)
Aha! Can anyone *lend* Erasmus 400gp? XD
Hey Simon, given Bryn's interest in poisons (where she's always looking to see if she can find the poison that killed her mom), I'd like to work up to the point where she can make some / collect ingredients (hopefully more successfully than with the giant centipedes, blast them). I see this list here: <a href="https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Poisons#content" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Poisons#content</a> &nbsp;Any advice on how to find actual recipes? Do I just need the Herbalism Kit or do I need a poisoner's kit as well? It looks like there are no hard and fast rules &amp; it's mostly up to the DM?&nbsp; <a href="https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/dungeons-dragons-discussion/rules-game-mechanics/13614-crafting-with-poisoners-kit" rel="nofollow">https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/dungeons-dragons-discussion/rules-game-mechanics/13614-crafting-with-poisoners-kit</a> &nbsp;