Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

MP4 / webm videos not going into roll20

Hi there. Having real issues adding animated background into Roll20. Filesize and type are spot on as per the FAQ... but when I drag the file in nothing happens. Can see it in library, but will not drag onto the map layer (or any other layer). Please help!
Bump
what is the exact file name of the file you want to upload?
I've tried a few. I had dash.webm and dash.mp4. Neither worked! Weirdly, I can see the image on the thumbnail on the page toolbar, but when accessing it, it's blank!
The mp4 file was 9mb, and the webm file was only 1.5mb!
Bump
Gold
Forum Champion
I was testing this myself. So I dropped a webm file size 3.95MB. It appeared to be stalled (on the uploading bar) for a long time, which I expected, because I've heard that uploading these file types takes a long time, perhaps it's interpolating the format or something. Eventually I cancelled the upload bar (and thought the experiment was failed), but left the Roll20 window open. The next day I looked and, sure enough, the webm was playing on the Roll20 tabletop! On the Layer that I had dragged-dropped it onto. What is your Page Size? Try making the Page Size larger in case your graphic appeared beyond the edges.  Or try Control-A, the Select All command, and then use arrow keys to see if there's something floated off screen. Check all your layers. Maybe test it again, on an otherwise blank Page. Just some ideas. 
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Roll20 reencodes animated files (slowly). In my experience (and reading about the experiences of others), you can expect 1 hour per MB as a rule of thumb. One person on reddit had a 7MB animated map that turned out to finally work after leaving it overnight.
Hi both. Thank you! Will give it a shot tomorrow and let you know 👍