Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Updated token movement

Hello Everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the correct place, I couldn't think of a better place to do it.  My players have always asked for a way to see how much they are moving as they move, thought I would try making a script, but while doing some map setup and thinking about the steps needed to accomplish this, I noticed a strange thing. When I grabbed a token by mistake, it had both the measuring tool and allowed token movement. So, I tried to recreate it, didn't, and went searching here to see if others had experienced this odd thing. I read about pressing spacebar while moving a token, it sounded just like what I saw, but the spacebar did nothing in my game.  At this point, I figured maybe they changed the key and checked the hotkey documentation, no luck. So, I just started pressing keys while holding a token and eventually I realized it was a right-click. Right-click starts the measuring tool while moving a token and can be pressed additional times to add waypoints. When you release the token, it's placed where the curser is as well.  I'm not sure when this changed, but I don't see it in the patch notes. I tested it in all my games, which are Pro Account games, so I'm not sure if this is only a pro feature, but would love to hear if anyone else can confirm this.  Happy Dungeon Delving Everyone!
Holding Q while grabbing a token does the same thing. And no, it's not a Pro (or even Plus) thing.
I wish they would put it in the Hotkey documentation!

Edited 1603466624
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Setting waypoints with the Q key is on the official documentation , and in the wiki . There can be some confusion, because it is not listed on the advanced hotkeys, being a standard shortcut.
Oh yes, I have used that with the ruler tool, but nowhere does it list that as a feature of token movement. Makes sense now, but I never would have thought " Okay, grab a token, start the movement, press Q to start the ruler tool, then waypoints can be added with additional Q presses." Just poor documentation on that part, but using the right mouse button? Genius. Really solid UI change that goes a long way towards improving the UX.