Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Advanced Lighting radiating farther than specified

Hi all. I've been testing the advanced lighting features recently, and noticed that they seem to be drawing farther out then I've specified in the text, though I might have a possible reason too. I have two examples: The first is a typical human with a torch. I set the light radius to be 40 ft., with a dim radius starting at 20 ft. As you can see in the image, the total light actually goes out 50-55 ft., with dim starting at a little bit past 25 ft. The second example is a half-orc with darkvision. Light radius was set to be not visible to others, 60 ft. radius, no dim. Picture shows that it goes out to 65 ft., AND has a dim radius (again, no dim specified) for about 15-20 ft. Now, as for the reason: it looks like it has to do with this map, in particular, having a grid size of 0.7142857. I had my map set to 50 pixels per square, and was having difficulty resizing it within roll20 (at the time) to 70 pixels, so I found that by changing the grid size, my map matched up perfectly. However, it seems it also affected lighting. I tested this by taking the same tokens into a map with a grid size of 1.0. There, the lighting works almost perfectly. The human example goes out to the correct amount. The half-orc still has some issues in that it had full light out to 45-50, then dim out the rest of the way to 60, despite no dim setting... but both examples at least get the total light radius correct. Here are both examples using a grid size of 1.0 (40/20, 60/0). In short: it seems like your light calculations are not taking grid size into account. Fix right now is to not use a grid size different from 1.0, but hopefully you guys can do something on your end. :)
As an update, it seems like this bug also occurs with the "measure" tool. It is treating each square as 5 ft. * the grid size modifier.