Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Mutants and Masterminds 3E Sheet Restyling

Edited 1605653562
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
My game group is looking to start an M&M game and as its my habit, I wanted to take a shot at improving the sheet. This is largely an aesthetics update but I do plan on changing how Powers are displayed in particular, making them expandable and generally more compact. Some of my references for the restyle.  I'll post updates as I go and see if it horrifies or delights before I send it up into the community hub. I've already started a bit on the header part of the sheet, the rest of the sheet probably won't be this designed but I figured the header was the best place to get a good impact.  I've attached the old sheet preview for comparison

Edited 1605658596
One thing to note for the header (that I attempted to change a bit in the past), is that the Total Power Points Used (`attr_total-power-points`) needs to fit 4 digits (three for the main number + 1 digit precision), since a rank in a Skill adds a half point. Also maybe change the numeric inputs that are not editable to `type="tel"` or add: input[type=number]::-webkit-outer-spin-button, input[type=number]::-webkit-inner-spin-button { -webkit-appearance: none; margin: 0; } input[type=number] { -moz-appearance:textfield; } to get rid of the unused space on the right of the box for the spin arrows. Other notes (since we also started playing in this system again recently) that require a rework (not just style): Instead of just the description under powers, have the ability to add an Extra or Flaw to them in a list (so it's easier to see how it was customised and to help players with the calculation of the total cost) Probably too much of a hassle, but something to add a power to the Offense category automatically. Revise how the Equipment advantage is tracked. There appears a message on the top of the sheet if the spent points don't match your Equipment rank, but this could be made clearer. Maybe a reset on the Accurate/All-out/... Attack options. Maybe a reset for the misc modifer on Abilities and Defenses to restore your stats after they got drained due to a power or a condition (e.g. Impaired). (or -again probably too much work- something to apply conditions and have the effects be added automatically)
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
+ Four digits check + Removed rollers specifically for the header power totals. The rest of the sheet is layed out with them in mind so I didn't see a need to remove them.  I think the other suggestions are currently out of scope for the changes I want to make here. I'm sorta tempted to do the Extras and Flaws thing but that starts to dig into the roller and the roll template. So this is what I'm looking to submit so far. We haven't started playing yet so maybe I'll pick up more changes as I realize how much impact they have on the sheet, but I was just struggling with the sheet putting in my 15 different powers. 
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
This is largely an aesthetics update but I do plan on changing how Powers are displayed in particular, making them expandable and generally more compact. That sounds great. So the sheet will functionally be the same as it have been, and this are generally in the same places they've been so far, or if changed, keeps the arrangement more or less faithful/intuitive to most other paper/pdf versions of the sheet?
On the Extra's and Flaws, in the meantime you could add a list structure with "+Add" and "Modify" buttons to the right of what you have now, like this: (perhaps hide the inputs until someone implements the calculation for them) For advantages and Equipment, the layout on the left in full width (and only a name, rank input and description) is fine. (P.S. I am Wosser1sProductions on GitHub)
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
You can't nest repeating fields, so it'd have to be static fields. 
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
ᐰndreas J. said: This is largely an aesthetics update but I do plan on changing how Powers are displayed in particular, making them expandable and generally more compact. That sounds great. So the sheet will functionally be the same as it have been, and this are generally in the same places they've been so far, or if changed, keeps the arrangement more or less faithful/intuitive to most other paper/pdf versions of the sheet? Yeah, all the attributes stay the same, just moving them around. I don't know if its faithful to paper versions, its definitely got some skeumorphic ideas in the redesigned header. 
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It might be a personal preference, but I think the header section could be a bit more compact. Like the Public/secret toggle could be by the side of the statblock rather than above it, which would mean you could make the whole section less tall.
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Yup
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
lol you just moved it down, not the side. You didn't impact the height of the section This is what I meant:
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Ooh, I see, I was moving it down to get rid of the white space inbetween the top and bottom section. 
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Added styling based on the type of the power, whether its an Alternate power of part of a Dynamic set. I expect this will be my submitted changes for this round of adjustments. 
Hey there, can you let me know how to control the opacity of the dotted background behind power text? Depending on whether I am typing a power, scrolling in the character sheet, popping a character sheet out into its own window, etc., the opacity seems to change at random, and when the background art is fully opaque, it makes the power text essentially unreadable in this updated character sheet. Trying to include a screenshot for detail. This is an up-to-date Firefox without any appearance-modifying plugins active. Note how Deaglan's Disembodied Head power is basically at full opacity and illegible, while Aaron's Arcane Prodigy is currently transparent. <a href="https://i.imgur.com/Ztlvy9p.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/Ztlvy9p.png</a>
in the same vein with the dot opacity,&nbsp; the same thing happens to me, i've been trying to test and see if it can be fixed with settings somehow, but all i've found is that it seems to only happen on Firefox rather than Chrome.&nbsp;&nbsp; Hope this helps you get to the bottom of it faster.
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Interesting, I'll take a look.&nbsp;
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I was able to replicate the issue and its by far the most bizarre browser compatibility I've seen yet. Drawing focus to the window appears to disable all background-blend-modes, its fixed if you pop it out into a window or if you just let it chill for 26 seconds... which then gets disabled again when you bring back focus to the window. I'm not sure if its a browser issue or some kind of Roll20 issue.&nbsp;

Edited 1606341603
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
The broken blend modes look kinda ugly but I'll submit a fix explicitly for the text-area for now, I've just hard-baked the color into it instead of using a blend mode. Expect the changes to come up next Tuesday.&nbsp;
Thank you! Very much appreciate the quick look into this. Some friends and I are running a big multi-GM campaign in M&amp;M via Roll20 this winter, and our players are loving the new visual upgrade :)
Hello All, I'm new to M&amp;M and have started a game with my junior D&amp;D group which so far they love. I'm still learning the rules so this may look to be a silly question; we have Normal Power which I assume is the Primary Power, then Alternate Effect which I assume is an extra but what is Dynamic Effect I can't find that in the rule book?
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Dynamic is part of the Alternate modifier description. If Alternate powers would be replacements and therefore be 0 or 100%, Dynamic alternates are powers that you can move Power Points between freely and allows you to split points between them, from 0% to 20% to 50% to 100% or any inbetween. If you were a captain with a starship and you wanted to be able to give the line, "Divert power to the shields!", dynamic alternate powers are for you. You can designate a series of dynamic powers that split a pool of PP and you allocate them each turn.
Thanks makes sense now, cheers&nbsp;