Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can Ruler tool be disabled?

I was looking at the possibility of using Roll20 for some quarantine wargaming. Is there any way to restrict the Ruler tool, either so that only the referee is allowed to measure, or alternatively to disable hidden measurements so that all players can see when someone else is measuring?
Gold
Forum Champion
Interesting feature request. As far as I can think of, NO, unfortunately there is not a good way to prevent Hidden Measurements. There's not a setting for that. Something like a CSS hack, work-around, (stylish or stylus browser extension) could hide the Ruler tool from the toolbar, or possibly hide the ruler arrow-line itself, but this would need to be installed on each player's browser, and GM wouldn't be able to verify. I guess the best/only way is social -- you'd have to ask, tell your players not to use the ruler, and that using it Hidden mode would be cheating.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
It's possible to hide the measure tool icon with CSS, but only on your own screen, and it would have to be done every time you log in or refresh the page. One way to do this is to create a bookmark and put the following into the URL. Click the bookmark after loading the vtt. javascript:(function(){ $("#measuretoolicon").css("display", "none"); })(); Unfortunately, as Gold said, this doesn't help much since there is no way to force someone else to do it (or prevent from reverting it with similar CSS methods even if they sent a screenshot of the initial result). As Gold said, this is probably more of a social problem.
I suspected that might be the case, it's not an issue with my group of friends but I was wondering about the feasibility of posting on social media looking to play against randos every now and then if the regulars aren't available. I've also been looking at the VASSAL Engine, but I'm somewhat experienced with Roll20 whereas I'd be a complete noob with that. Thanks for the answers!