Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Modifying weapon MOD damage

With the Roll20 D&D 5E sheet, I'm trying to add a special damage modifier to weapons. I created a custom attribute "custom_dmg" that is changed via macro. Currently it is set to 5. The problem is adding @{custom_dmg} to the Damage field on the weapon means on a critical hit custom_dmg is also added to critical damage: 1d8 + 5[custom_dmg] + 3[DEX]  plus 1d8 + 5[custom_dmg][CRIT]. Default is only the weapon damage die should be rolled. So I thought adding @{custom_dmg} to the blank field at the end of the weapon would do the trick, however that field only takes a numeric value, example if I add "3" it shows in the chat window as + 3 [MOD] but if I add @{custom_dmg} there is no additional damage. Is there a way to modify the MOD field for weapon damage using a custom attribute? I'm trying to do this while clicking on the weapon(s) instead of another macro writing to a chat template with the result of the attack.
Why don't you just use the global damage modifier that is built into the sheet?&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9518611/sneak-attack-suggestions/?pageforid=9523509#post-9523509" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9518611/sneak-attack-suggestions/?pageforid=9523509#post-9523509</a>
No, your best bet in this case is to either use the global damage mod as Jarren suggests, or to input the correct crit in the crit damage field for the attack. Leaving it blank tells the sheet to copy everything in the first field, which in your case includes the +@{custom_dmg}, but if you write in that normally blank field the correct crit formula (the 1d8 in this example) it will roll the correct damage with modifiers for the normal damage and then only the now listed 1d8 for the crit damage.
I didn't use the global damage modifier since this is for a player who sometimes forgets to set or unset that field and the damage bonus does not apply to all weapons. I wanted something a little more automated plus I included a token modifier so we have a nice visual reminder when the damage bonus is in effect. Inputting a value in the crit damage field is what got it working for me. This PC is also a half-orc so getting double crit damage on melee attacks means I input a value in crit damage for all melee weapons. Combined with +@{custom_dmg} in the damage die field is what made everything work correctly. When the custom +5 damage is in effect the PC gets that damage on regular hits and only double die damage on criticals. Thank you both for the suggestions.