Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Turning link to compendium/external website into button

Edited 1606422224
Hello, I would like to use clickable buttons in my Handouts and character sheets and in chat that open compendium entries and external links. I know how to use ability command buttons, but they seem to only work with actual macros and abilities, not with hyperlinks. And just using [text](link) gives me a clickable link, not a button. Am I missing something? Or is it possible to do this with the baseline API button functionality accessible to non-pro subscribers? EDIT: It appears that inside my Character Sheets, the links are in fact auto-converted to buttons (Pathfinder Community Sheet) when parsed to the chatbox - but how would I get the same behavior by manually typing?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The character sheets have the benefit of direct access to the HTML, which you mostly lack in the interface.  In chat, you don't really have a way to make nice buttons short of using something in a Roll Template from whatever sheet you're using, if it even exists.  In Handouts, you can do a little bit by inspecting the source and manually adding inline CSS to an element (just be sure to make a change to the text (add and remove a space) via the editor so that it flags the content as changed.  This is definitely not a supported feature, so YMMV.
Ah,. thanks for the explanation! Thankfully, the feature I actually need the most is link buttons in character sheet, and that appears to work (I just didn't realize at first).