Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Interest Check -- Curse of Strahd (VERY HARD)

Hello. I am a DM that runs Curse of Strahd (modded). I have run this campaign a total of 4 times now. I love to DM as I put a lot of time and work into it, and seem to do a decent job according to my past players.  My experience is about 3 years now of DM for 5e. Everything below you are about to read will give you insight on how my sessions will run, which I would love full feedback. The main deterrent when it comes to running a campaign online with a group of new people boils down to this: Compatibility. I always get at least one person that leaves and another that constantly puts the party in danger due to rush acting/thinking. I am hoping this new system will be great for getting a batch of awesome players who will work great together and enjoy each other as much as they enjoy the story. How I choose an applicant (Please give me feedback on your thoughts. And yes, I will be posting a listing for a new CoS game soon):        (1) In depth application. General information is a common factor when it comes to knowing an applicant. My application skeletons will be lengthy, be prepared to write a good bit. All these questions/info are designed for me to understand you better and proceed forward with step 2.       (2) Pay to Play. I personally do not like charging people any money. It puts uncomfortable pressure on me as a DM. I do however believe it can be a great tool to get committed and serious players. This is why I will charge a $20 fee if you are accepted as a PC. This fee is ONE TIME ONLY and will last the entirety of the campaign. The $20 fee is also refundable upon the completion of the campaign (AKA defeating the 5-8 core bosses). I will also hope at this point you would of loved me enough as a DM to let me keep the fee as a gracious tip but- hey, that's up to you :)       (3) The real application. In order for you to understand me as a DM, for me to better know you as a player, and to see how you work with others.. The final application will be a 1-shot with you and another random applicant and me as your DM. My hopes is that these 1-shots will give me better insight on each applicant's style of play so I can better select the party based on who I believe it most compatible. With all that said here are the following general rules I have when I make a campaign for CoS. Consider this: -You will have access to my compendium which entails several of the books for making your epic character in the charactermancer. This also includes crazy new monsters, spells, and magic items! -Lot's of fun twists for experienced players! Instead of fighting a dozen wolves with all the same statblock and skills... I instead made a variation of different wolves. Ex: Alpha, Beta, Runts, Dire wolves, Shadow wolves, Dark Wolves, Crimson Hounds, and many more! This means more token art, figure art, and variation in skills, capabilities, tactics, health, all the good stuff!  -Speaking of epic characters.. Your character level starts at lvl 2. For the sake of this campaign I strongly insist characters are more simple than usual. This means if you pitch a character who is a dragon slayer and champion of the realms I will probably reject it. Can your character become a legendary champion of the realm and slay dragons? Absolutely. Start small, build big! -Can you uphold a high attendance? (80% or more). If a majority of the players show up to a session and want to play, we will play without you. I will make sure your character does not die. If I am the one that can't make it (which might happens sometimes but not often) then we will skip that week or schedule for a different day. I know that sounds a little unfair but I am the DM and that's just how it has to be :\ -This campaign runs custom mods and API scripts. I am no master, but I have put a lot of hours into the art of code.  -This campaign has several mods (homebrew of my own design and from friends/online resources) which will level your character further than normal and allow more content. I mean a lot more freakin content. -A party will most likely be between 4-5 people -Dynamic lighting! In dungeons and at night time, your character will have a 120 degree field of vision. You will only see what's directly in front of you. During daytime or already explored areas, you will have full 360 vision. -Are you up for a campaign that can last a decent while? -Have you played CoS before? I reserve spots for those who have not been spoiled by this module's amazing story -No characters can be on the "Evil" alignment. This is negotiable but also refrained. However, a character can have their alignment shift throughout the campaign. -You can die in this campaign easily. It is very "dark souls", and I do not allow new characters. Play smart and be smart, if you die and there is no means of revival, you're done. Feel free to spectate or control a NPC upon my discretion. -This campaign is Roleplay heavy. (That doesn't mean you have to be In Character all the time. I cater to the style of the PCs but due to nature of this campaign, no overboard, absurd, silly characters) I tend to use music through discord, soundboard, and sometimes a voice modifier to try and maximize your experience. -Reminder: Heavy RP! There is lots of combat and action and even some good puzzles. Also, lots and lots of twists and mystery. But with all that said, heavy RP is a big thing in this campaign. I will focus more on applicants who are immersed into their character. Because it's not a lot of fun when you are playing a good alignment character and your buddies decided to rob the store merchant and beat up anyone who gets in the way just because they can. Basically, if you are playing it like a video game - grand theft auto kind of game - then this campaign is not for you. -CoS is a dangerous campaign. If not played strategically and well minded, you will die. I promise I am rooting for you but also understand that death to your PC is something I am not afraid to do. If you choose to slap a creature that is 10ish levels over you (true story) then that creature will likely eat you and you're done. I know this rule is kind of already stated earlier but I just want to be absolutely clear. You can DIE. Play smart, run when you must, think outside the box, and coordinate with your team!!! -No RP sex. Not my thing. Just making sure we are clear on that. -This campaign is designed for experienced players. I don't mind new players, it's just that more experienced players tend to play smarter.  -The one time fee will go straight to my pro membership and more resources on roll20 to constantly upgrade my CoS campaign. This includes any additional tips :) -If you have a problem with another PC or myself please communicate about it. If you want to counter a point with a DM's decision you may do so. I will consider what you say, but whatever I choose you cannot contest. Respect the DM please. *1on1 or smaller group sessions can occur due to special circumstances. These sessions are meant to add more flavor and mystery to the campaign. You are never required to attend a branch off session, it's up to you to strike the opportunity, if it arises. Group 1: Died at lvl 3's. (group of 6) Group 2: Died at lvl 6's (group of 4) Group 3: Died at lvl 7's (group of 4) Group 4: Currently still playing (group of 6. *1 died*) I promise I don't aim to TPK you guys. I am very much on your side. People just tend to vastly underestimate this module and I don't show much grace when they do. It's an unforgiving campaign. For real guys, I love CoS. I can't tell you how many hours I have put into this campaign trying to master it. From homebrew content to making my own custom battlemaps for legendary encounters, I have done so much. I do hope you all appreciate it and I only plan to make it bigger and better!  Well, that's enough typing for now. My fingers hurt. Hopefully this provides some good info for everyone. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or would like to provide me feedback. Do you think you have what it takes to beat Strahd? Because if this anything like dark souls... it just got a whole lot darker
This sounds amazing! I've yet to play Curse of Strahd. However, it would depend what day and time you plan on running it.
Interested, but much depends upon the day and time. I have a job and farm, which makes scheduling sometimes a bit iffy, but this is the time of year I have some ability to adjust at least the farm chores to make an opening for a game. I am open to any character/class/specialty which fits and complements the party.  I do voice the character to make it clear when I am speaking in character or out of character.  I have used Death House in my own campaign but other than that I am not familiar and have not played/read the rest of the campaign. I started playing D&D back in 1978 and picked it back up a couple of years ago with 5e.  I have only been DM except for one guest appearance in my son's campaign to help teach the other new players some of the attributes of R20 and basic rules.  Itching to play as a PC once again in an extended campaign after my last one ended back in '83. 
Oginme said: Interested, but much depends upon the day and time. I have a job and farm, which makes scheduling sometimes a bit iffy, but this is the time of year I have some ability to adjust at least the farm chores to make an opening for a game. I am open to any character/class/specialty which fits and complements the party.  I do voice the character to make it clear when I am speaking in character or out of character.  I have used Death House in my own campaign but other than that I am not familiar and have not played/read the rest of the campaign. I started playing D&D back in 1978 and picked it back up a couple of years ago with 5e.  I have only been DM except for one guest appearance in my son's campaign to help teach the other new players some of the attributes of R20 and basic rules.  Itching to play as a PC once again in an extended campaign after my last one ended back in '83.  Ostara W said: This sounds amazing! I've yet to play Curse of Strahd. However, it would depend what day and time you plan on running it. Hello to both of you. I've been debating on times but it most likely looks like: A) Tuesdays 8:00 pm (3-4 hours) CST B) Thursdays Time TBD
That would be 3am for me so a little late unfortunately
I'm willing to do a little writing.  Let me know when you've made the listing/gave out the application.  
Interested.  Give a shout when you put up the listing.
Petra De la Rosa Chatelaine Valanthe said: I'm willing to do a little writing.  Let me know when you've made the listing/gave out the application.   Chris H. said: Interested.  Give a shout when you put up the listing. Consider it done. I will send you both a link when the official listing is out. I am expecting to have it by end of next week, if not earlier. 
I am interested in playing. Haven't played CoS so excited to try it out. Let me know when the listing is out
Finn said: I've been debating on times but it most likely looks like: A) Tuesdays 8:00 pm (3-4 hours) CST B) Thursdays Time TBD Unfortunately, my schedule has me getting up at 3 AM CST/4 AM EST, so late nights are out for me.  I will continue to follow in case some other time slot opens up which I can warp my schedule to make it fit.
I'm interested in joining up, for sure. I've always been interested in the Ravenloft setting, but I've never really played in the setting. All I really know is about CoS is what it says on the back of the book; spooky vampire in a spooky castle. As far as my availability goes I should be open for the times you've listed above. I'm a full-time student, so most of my required activities tend to be earlier in the day. In terms of experience, I started playing D&D right at the start of 4th edition, around 2009ish. Since then I've messed with all sots of roleplaying systems. I feel pretty comfortable with 5e, and I'm looking forward to trying out some of the new Tasha's content.  Two questions though:      - Is revival from death something that exists in the world as you're running it? Either way is fine for me.      - If a character is killed off, would a player make a new character, or kind of chill on the sidelines?  Ultimately, this campaign sounds really exciting. Looking forward to hearing more about it; please send a link once you have everything ready. 
Lex said: I'm interested in joining up, for sure. I've always been interested in the Ravenloft setting, but I've never really played in the setting. All I really know is about CoS is what it says on the back of the book; spooky vampire in a spooky castle. As far as my availability goes I should be open for the times you've listed above. I'm a full-time student, so most of my required activities tend to be earlier in the day. In terms of experience, I started playing D&D right at the start of 4th edition, around 2009ish. Since then I've messed with all sots of roleplaying systems. I feel pretty comfortable with 5e, and I'm looking forward to trying out some of the new Tasha's content.  Two questions though:      - Is revival from death something that exists in the world as you're running it? Either way is fine for me.      - If a character is killed off, would a player make a new character, or kind of chill on the sidelines?  Ultimately, this campaign sounds really exciting. Looking forward to hearing more about it; please send a link once you have everything ready.  Hey, thanks for your interest. I will let you know when the listing is up. As for your questions, 1) Terms of revival is a possibility through a few different ways. It isn't always possible though, depends on the situation. Revivals tend to have side effects too. 2) There is no remake of a character. We will be playing with the new sidekick mechanic from TC though. So, a player may be able to take the role of a sidekick - if the party has any. Otherwise, they chill on the sideline and watch if they so desire. 
I have only heard great things about CoS. While I may be newer to DnD as a whole, I have had several excellent DMs that have answered all my tough questions (I come from a TCG background). I would love to apply for your campaign! If you need my Discord ID or anything else like that to do the questionnaire, just let me know! My available times are EXTREMELY flexible as I am usually off work around 2 pm CST. What every works for the group works for me! Looking forward to the experience! (What are your takes regarding Unearthed Arcana content? Is it 100% denied...or case by case situation)
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/266102/curse-of-strahd" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/266102/curse-of-strahd</a> &nbsp;for anyone interested