Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Allow players to roll publicly but have GM rolls private

I could have sworn that I, as GM, had the ability to whisper rolls for monsters and NPCs, including rollable tables, but the PCs had the ability to roll publicly. Then something changed one day and none of the players could see each others rolls. So I switch it to whisper toggle, and all the players chose to roll publicly, but then all of my GM rolls were public as well, resulting in some spoilers.  In the support forum I asked how to set it so that the GM rolls are private but player rolls are public. The response from roll20 was that this isn't supported and that I should suggest it here. Is there really no current way to do this? I'm talking about a setting, not typing out `/gmroll 1d20` every time. This is especially important for rollable tables, like wandering monsters. Thanks.
What you described as your initial way is how my OotA campaign works/worked (we haven't played over the holidays). I will come back once we played again and I can see if our game changed as well or not (and if not, we can try to find out which settings may be responsible for the different behaviour). The thing you asked for with "GM rolls are private but player rolls are public" has also been proposed here <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4922089/gmrolls-that-are-hidden-even-from-the-player-that-makes-the-roll" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4922089/gmrolls-that-are-hidden-even-from-the-player-that-makes-the-roll</a> so you may consider to retract this post and add your post and vote there, to bundle the votes and increase the impact
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Gene Higgins said: Is there really no current way to do this? I'm talking about a setting, not typing out `/gmroll 1d20` every time. This is especially important for rollable tables, like wandering monsters. I think rolls made with rollable tables that aren't made available to the players are only shown to the GM, so this specific issue shouldn't be too common.
ᐰndreas J. said: I think rolls made with rollable tables that aren't made available to the players are only shown to the GM, so this specific issue shouldn't be too common. Oh interesting, thanks. I've never used roll20 as a player. I'll test it as my player persona.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .