Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dynamic Lighting - Partially Obstructed

I really enjoy what Dynamic Lighting (DL) adds to the game.  I don't think that the base functionality needs changing, but the following suggestion could be an enhancement.  Likely there would need to be some rules/special tools for creating the geometry to do this.  But, clearly, you know how to calculate the equations for lines tangent to objects/lines/points for the line of site calculations. Here is an over-simplified town or fort map with some trees/stump.  In fort battles, it's nice to be able to hide troops behind buildings.  What if you wish to climb onto a building and do some Ranger-sniping?  What if there are enemy troops already on the buildings shooting at you?  These are more challenging to handle. For instance, the buildings and trunks will block line of sight (LOS).  It is easy and fast to set this up. And obviously the impact of the DL is below.  But what are those big squares?  Oh, they're buildings.  Is there anything on top of them?  Is that a tree?  Anyway, I think that it would at least be nice to see the artwork. This would be an improved outcome of an enhanced DL tool.  It may need to be an enclosed polygon tool.  But the front side of the polygon is not obscured.  Only the back side is obscured.  Maybe it needs to be a convex polygon, but it should be straight forward enough to tell where the tangent points are and which lines are "in front" and which are "in back".  The ones in back have things obscured.  In fact, if one is within the polygon (on top of the building), there is no longer a "back line" and everything should be visible...at least until the next level of things that obscure vision.  Of course if you place a token on the roof, they will only be able to see the roof with current DL and nothing else. This effect was created by using partial enclosures, but it is very positional-specific and may work in some situations.  I get that "being on the roof...or perhaps a tower" would allow one to see further beyond, but that starts to get more complicated.  I'd settle with the above enhancements that likely can use calculations that are already being done. Joe
You may want to cancel your votes here and add them (and your comments!) to this suggestion instead: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1242655/dynamic-lighting-one-sided-dynamic-lighting/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1242655/dynamic-lighting-one-sided-dynamic-lighting/</a> which already has (at the time of this post) 622 votes.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .