Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Green-Flame Blade & Separating Multiple Stacking Damage mods

Edited 1610920046
Hello everyone, I am having a bit of an issue with a 5e D&D character with stacking damage modifiers.  I have created separate modifiers for each condition, and set up the token macro like so: @{Selected|wtype}&{template:atkdmg} {{mod=+5}} {{rname=Rapier}} {{r1=[[@{Selected|d20}cs>20 + 2[STR] + 3[PROF]]]}} @{Selected|rtype}cs>20 + 2[STR] + 3[PROF]]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[1d8 + 2[STR]]]}} {{dmg1type=Piercing}} 0 {{dmg2=[[0]]}} {{dmg2type=}} {{crit1=[[1d8[CRIT]]]}} {{crit2=[[0[CRIT]]]}} 0 {{desc=}}   {{spelllevel=}} {{innate=}} {{globalattack=@{Selected|global_attack_mod}}} {{globaldamage=[[2[Fighting Style: Dueling]+ 1d8[Green Flame Blade (Adj)]]]}} {{globaldamagecrit=[[1d8+5[Green Flame Blade (Adj)]]]}} {{globaldamagetype=@{Selected|global_damage_mod_type}}} ammo= @{Selected|charname_output} You can see the modifier (above, bold/italic/underlined) for damage that Green-Flame Blade does to adjacent targets.  Any idea how I can set this up so that the adjacent damage will always appear on a separate line?  When I use it currently it gets added in will all of the other modifiers.  Any help appreciated- thanks! -James

Edited 1610923593
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
It's not exactly a new line but would this suit your needs? @{Selected|wtype}&{template:atkdmg} {{mod=+5}} {{rname=Rapier}} {{r1=[[@{Selected|d20}cs>20 + 2[STR] + 3[PROF]]]}} @{Selected|rtype}cs>20 + 2[STR] + 3[PROF]]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[1d8 + 2[STR]]]}} {{dmg1type=Piercing}} 0 {{dmg2=[[1d8[Green Flame Blade (Adj)]]]}} {{dmg2type=Green Flame}} {{crit1=[[1d8[CRIT]]]}} {{crit2=[[0[CRIT]]]}} 0 {{desc=}} {{globalattack=@{Selected|global_attack_mod}}} {{globaldamage=[[2[Fighting Style: Dueling]]]}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{globaldamagecrit=[[1d8+5[Green Flame Blade (Adj)]]]}} {{globaldamagetype=Dueling}} @{Selected|charname_output} Disclaimer: I took out some template parameters that weren't being used for easier readability and I changed the global damage description to a literal string for Dueling for my testing purposes but figured I'd leave it in since the fighting style was hardcoded in as well, feel free to change it. Also, dmg2flag was set to =1 so that it shows another field, and its name can be changed on the dmg2type parameter. Edit - image of result on my end:
That makes them all separate, but there are 2 Fire damages for GFB.  One is 1d8 (to the target) and the other is 1d8+5 (Charisma) to an enemy adjacent to the target.  I have been having a problem getting that adjacent damage as a separate box.  Once I add the additional damage is just combines them all.

Edited 1611021532
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Got it; So do you want there to be a d8 only rolled one time or two times? In you first example the 1d8+5 is using a global crit parameter so that would only ever show up if the attack was a crit.  I can work out an example where the d8 is rolled once but it's definitely easier if it is rolled separately for each damage occurrence  This is with two separate rolls -  @{Selected|wtype}&{template:atkdmg} {{mod=+5}} {{rname=Rapier}} {{r1=[[@{Selected|d20}cs>20 + 2[STR] + 3[PROF]]]}} @{Selected|rtype}cs>20 + 2[STR] + 3[PROF]]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[1d8 + 2[STR]]]}} {{dmg1type=Piercing}} 0 {{dmg2=[[1d8[Green Flame Blade (Adj)] + 5[CHA]]]}} {{dmg2type=Green Flame Blade (adj)}} {{crit1=[[1d8[CRIT]]]}} {{crit2=[[0[CRIT]]]}} 0 {{desc=}} {{globalattack=@{Selected|global_attack_mod}}} {{globaldamage=[[2[Dueling] + 1d8[Green Flame]]]}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{globaldamagecrit=[[1d8+5[Green Flame Blade (Adj)]]]}} {{globaldamagetype=Dueling/Green Flame Blade}} @{Selected|charname_output}

Edited 1611036177
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Just apply the spellcasting ability modifier to other targets.  Doesn't require a roll.  Why are you rolling more dice?  You've got the damage wrong. IMO, I've been at this a while, don't try to automate everything.   As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and green fire leaps from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. So that's it.  Flame leaps and does damage equal to spellcasting ability modifier (int bonus, cha bonus, whatever) to another target.  It's not that powerful.  It's a cantrip.  

Edited 1611037622
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Furthermore, they've removed the ability to Twin or Meta Distance Magic booming or green blade or stack Shadowblade into either Green Flame or Booming Blade.  There's little to no stacking with these as the min/maxers were min/maxing to the max.  Unbalanced a game as later on when chars get to 7th level, with the mere cost of a 2nd level spell (shadowblade) and a cantrip fired every round, a char could easily do 7d8 of damage.  Silly.  Of course you can play it however you want.  

Edited 1611059621
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Victor B. said: Just apply the spellcasting ability modifier to other targets.  Doesn't require a roll.  Why are you rolling more dice?  You've got the damage wrong. IMO, I've been at this a while, don't try to automate everything.   As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and green fire leaps from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. So that's it.  Flame leaps and does damage equal to spellcasting ability modifier (int bonus, cha bonus, whatever) to another target.  It's not that powerful.  It's a cantrip.   Higher level casting has additional dice to the adjacent targets damage.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I stand corrected.  Apologies.  
Jordan C. said: Higher level casting has additional dice to the adjacent targets damage. It could also be seen as the same d8(s) roll applied to both targets, with the second one getting the additional amount of the spellcasting mod. So, if the caster were 11th level, you roll 2d8 and apply the result to the first target and the result+mod to the 2nd.
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Dakota H. said: Jordan C. said: Higher level casting has additional dice to the adjacent targets damage. It could also be seen as the same d8(s) roll applied to both targets, with the second one getting the additional amount of the spellcasting mod. So, if the caster were 11th level, you roll 2d8 and apply the result to the first target and the result+mod to the 2nd. Agreed, that's what I was asking about in the second response. It can be done with the roll references but I wrote the other one cause frankly it was just simpler lol.

Edited 1611097621
I seem to have lost the Sneak Attack damage. I will fiddle and see if I can add. Trying to build this all in so I don't forget a part of it, since I am new as a player to Roll20.  Appreciate the help!

Edited 1611101166
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Ah, well if I may make a suggestion, you can edit the spell in your character sheet's spell tab and take advantage of the sheets ability to handle a large portion of what you are trying to recreate. If you need a manually made macro for something specific you can ignore the rest of this but here is an example - Open up the spell settings and change the output  setting to attack . The other highlighted sections are what I manually entered it (quick note that the adjacent damage needs to be "1d8+@{charisma_mod}" instead of what I have in the screenshot.) Because of the weird leveling this would have to be manually changed again at level 11.  Now in the character sheet core page you would see this in the attacks section And it would output this when clicking green flame blade and the subsequent damage! The advantage here is you can turn off all the global damage and the critical damage gets resolved almost correctly. The caveat is I don't know how to make it so that the Damage2 doesn't double the spellcasting ability on a critical. Found the setting in the attack field on the core page, sorry just so rarely change that!

Edited 1611106732
Thanks!  I used your original and fiddled with it, and got it worked out.  For anyone else who needs it, I came up with this: @{Selected|wtype}&{template:atkdmg} {{mod=+5}} {{rname=Rapier}} {{r1=[[@{Selected|d20}cs>20 + 2[STR] + 3[PROF]]]}} @{Selected|rtype}cs>20 + 2[STR] + 3[PROF]]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[1d8 + 2[STR]]]}} {{dmg1type=Piercing}} 0 {{dmg2=[[1d8[Green Flame Blade (Adj)] + 5[CHA]]]}} {{dmg2type=Green Flame Blade (adj)}} {{crit1=[[1d8[CRIT]]]}} {{crit2=[[1d8[CRIT]]]}} 0 {{desc=}}  {{globalattack=@{Selected|global_attack_mod}}} {{globaldamage=[[2[Dueling] + 1d8[Green Flame] + 1d6(Sneak Attack]]}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{globaldamagecrit=[[1d8[Green Flame] + 1d6(Sneak Attack]]}} {{globaldamagetype=Dueling/Green Flame Blade}} @{Selected|charname_output} The output looks like this, regular and crit: The numbers are all right, and the bottom right box will always be the flame spreading to the adjacent enemy.  I think I will end up setting something up like your spell but for smite.  I really appreciate you taking the time to look at it all.  I am trying to build everything in that I can so I don't miss checking a box. -James