Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The Goodrock Inn, Ravensburg (IC to 16/8/1359)

Edited 1612273427
During the 10 days of self-training Strohm has been training with the greatsword building up strength (ability improvement +1 strength) while also practicing an old spell he learns when he went hunting with the wood elves in the past (learn Snare spell and ability improvement +1 intelligence). with the gold and silver, he earned for the halls and delivering Sumata Mercellin he spends 100 gold for 2 draft horses and 100 gold for a carriage (200gp). For his two lovely companions, he spends 15 gold each for fine clothing (30gp). lastly 100 gold to Syrus for crafting any spell scrolls with healing spells (100gp).

Edited 1612291926
The journey to Ramvira was a solemn one. The adventurers kept their thoughts to themselves and many hours passed in contemplative silence. Einar greeted the party on their arrival at Ramvira Tower and accepted the body of the fallen hero Eldred. “I will arrange for this hero to be laid to rest in accordance with the customs of his people.” Einar declared. “Will you be staying with us long?” “Alas,” replied Norrin. “We have errands to run elsewhere. We leave for Ravensburg in the morning.” “Very well. Come, let us all drink to Eldred. He was brave and taken too early from us. You can rest here for the night. The horses have been tended and are fresh for the journey.”   The next morning, the party rose early to set out on the next leg of their journey. The horses were saddled being led away from the stable yard and out onto the road. The morning was pleasant and a welcome change to the dank interior of the Fallen Halls. As they rode, they were accompanied by the sombre melodies of Syrus perfecting his latest song with which to entertain the locals and tell the tale of Eldred the Brave.   The adventurers eventually approached the gates of Ravensburg. Sumata Mercellin was greeted by the guards – she was clearly somewhat of a celebrity in the city. She led them through the city to the Goodrock Inn. “I will visit tomorrow to bring you your reward. My family will be grateful for my safe return, and you will be rewarded handsomely as promised.” She said as she bade her rescuers farewell. The party were welcomed by the Tavernkeep who introduced himself as Tobin Goodrock. A meal, simple yet satisfying, was prepared and provided, washed down with remarkably good ale. The stuffed adventurers retired to their respective lodgings and settled down for a restful night’s sleep.   The following morning, true to her word, Sumata Mercellin strode into the inn. She was resplendent in fine silks of the deepest red, a stark contrast to when Erasmus and Jyrdani had first laid eyes on her in Ulfe’s chamber. She was flanked by two armed men-at-arms, wearing cloaks of the same red as Sumata’s robes. Each carried a small chest which they presented at Sumata’s behest. “For your troubles in returning me safely to my family, the promised reward of 1,000 gold pieces.” Sumata gestured toward one of the chests and the man-at-arms lifted the lid. “And for recovering our strongboxes, an additional 1,000 gold pieces.” The second chest was opened and Syrus’s eyes widened as the morning light glinted off the yellow metal coins…

Edited 1612289128
GM: Sumata gets young Rufus Flint an apprenticeship at the Mercellin-owned Finnris Brewery, learning the beer trade. The Courana sisters seem very happy to hang around Strohm in their fine new dresses & shoes (except if he's training at the Mercenary Guild as they won't let non-members in) and rolling around town in the new carriage. Apparently Beverly worked at Gurzun's Hall, while Geradile was a shepherdess on her uncle's farm. Beverly was visiting her when they were kidnapped by ogres, along with several unfortunate sheep. Tenho Isotalo introduces the group to a half-orc called Ted. "A very fine fellow!" Jyrdani: "Watch out - he said that about *me*!"

Edited 1612298502
Erasmus hangs around in the tavern distractedly, trying to pluck up the courage to have the 'Talk' with Jyrdani when he overhears her remark to Ted. "Wait, what? Are you suggesting Tenho mistook you for a fellow? You? The most impressive specimen of womanhood I've laid eyes on in many a year?" As soon as the words leave his lips, he realises how ridiculous he must have sounded. His face flushes with embarrassment and he stutters an excuse to leave. He strides from the tavern with an intense, unwavering stare directly ahead and almost barrels Syrus over as the two meet just outside the door. "Hey 'Ras!" cries the bard. "What's the matter? Someone say something?" "Er, yeah, you could say that." Ras mutters as he walks to the fountain in the square and just stands, glaring at the water. Syrus is well enough used to his friend's strange turns and has probably begun to notice the correlation between his sudden turns and his interactions with Jyrdani. He chuckles to himself, then enters the tavern with a smirk to see what mischief he can escalate between the pair of reluctant lovebirds...
Norrin leans back in his chair and contemplates recent events as he watches his new companions interact with each other. Lady Barbara D'Ashe leans comfortably against him, her perfume filling his senses. Although regaining her holdings at D'Ashe Manor -- now called Gurzun's Festhall -- is a priority, that goal does seem far away, if it's even attainable. Barbara doesn't seemed too concerned about it, however. And what of afterwards? She tended to his wounds after her dramatic rescue, and seemed to fuss over him even when he was quite capable of taking care of himself, and she insisted on joining them on their most recent endeavour even when she could have stayed safely out of harm's reach. She even almost lost her own life at The Mountain Door, the same place that claimed poor Eldred. The two of them have developed a close relationship, a deep affection for each other, it seems -- dare he say love? And again, there's that question. Their commitments to each other would be fulfilled at that time, but after she regains her holdings, what of him? His good friend Einar, now Sir Einar of Ramvira Tower, has gained his own lordship, something Norrin has known from the beginning that's what Einar wanted. He even made plans to clean up and renovate the abandoned ruined moathouse near Hommlet. Of course Norrin would have helped him with that, but the blond Northman wants a lordship of his own. Maybe one day. Either way, Norrin vows, as he has vowed in the past, to protect her until she is able to reclaim D'Ashe Manor as her own once again. Now that they're in a sizable town, he will take her to visit an armourer to have some leathers made for her, and perhaps a weaponsmith to outfit her with a small light sword. He could even train her how to use it and how not to stab herself. No front-line fighting for her! That's his job. But she should still be able to protect herself, if the need arises.
OOC: Barbara can use simple weapons proficiently & has good DEX but low STR - she suggests a dagger she can conceal (2gp). Leather armour  (10gp) can be made pretty indistinguishable from normal clothing, but offers minimal protection. A breastplate would be ideal, but 400gp is a lot of money. IC: Barbara: "Armour is good... Although, I'm not going in a dungeon again if I can help it!" She smiles, then looks up at Norrin with a serious expression. "When I retake my Hall, I want you by my side - I need you by my side. And not just for your sword arm..." Barbara smiles, blushing slightly. A lock of blonde hair falls over her forehead in artful disarray.  
Tim M. said: Erasmus hangs around in the tavern distractedly, trying to pluck up the courage to have the 'Talk' with Jyrdani when he overhears her remark to Ted. "Wait, what? Are you suggesting Tenho mistook you for a fellow? You? The most impressive specimen of womanhood I've laid eyes on in many a year?" As soon as the words leave his lips, he realises how ridiculous he must have sounded. His face flushes with embarrassment and he stutters an excuse to leave. He strides from the tavern with an intense, unwavering stare directly ahead... Jyrdani looks after the departing Erasmus with a sigh, an amused sparkle in her eye. She reaches for her goblet, and takes another long drink of deep red Impilturan wine from the Lyrabar hills.
after a long day of training Strohm spends his nights with the Courana sisters, he told them he was part of the royal family of Leth and in line for succession but it would be hundreds of years for him to get the crown and the Queen herself is but his aunt and still young. Seeing his chances for ruling won't be for a while he ventures to human lands to make a name for himself traveling and doing adventures so he asks would the Courana sisters like to join him or would like to go back to their homes. 
Simon N. said: Barbara: "Armour is good... Although, I'm not going in a dungeon again if I can help it!" She smiles, then looks up at Norrin with a serious expression. "When I retake my Hall, I want you by my side - I need you by my side. And not just for your sword arm..." Barbara smiles, blushing slightly. A lock of blonde hair falls over her forehead in artful disarray. Norrin stares at her for a moment, and then turns away -- mostly to hide his grin. Not so long ago, he was naught but a caravan guard on The Trade Way between Waterdeep and Scornubel, seeing nothing worse than random bandits and occasional semi-organized goblin patrols; nothing he and the other guards couldn't handle. Since coming east he has done more in the short time since his arrival in Damara, than he has done in all that time as a guard. Among the Northmen of the Moonshaes -- indeed, all of the Northerners of the Trackless Sea, Icewind Dale, and The North -- the respect given to a warrior is based solely on his accomplishments. When there is a gathering among the various groups and tribes, each leader's accomplishments are stated as titles, as in 'Wulfgar, Son of Beornegar, Wielder of Aegis-Fang, Companion of the Hall, Slayer of the Dragon Icingdeath', and so on. Sometimes, with the most powerful of leaders, this could take an incredible amount of time! That is his goal, to have his fame and accomplishments sung about by the storytellers for generations to come. Being able to add Lord of D'Ashe Hall to his titles would be a good start -- he wonders if he can add Slayer of Ulfe the Ogre war-chief to that as well.It's a point of pride and honour among his people. "Yes, we'll get you fitted out with the finest leathers," he says to Barbara. "And a sturdy dagger, and I'll show you how to use them. And no more dungeons, I promise." He snuggles her a little closer. Norrin, Son of Thorrin, Lord of D'Ashe Hall. He likes the sound of that.
WhiteValyrian said: after a long day of training Strohm spends his nights with the Courana sisters, he told them he was part of the royal family of Leth and in line for succession but it would be hundreds of years for him to get the crown and the Queen herself is but his aunt and still young. Seeing his chances for ruling won't be for a while he ventures to human lands to make a name for himself traveling and doing adventures so he asks would the Courana sisters like to join him or would like to go back to their homes.  The Courana sisters are very happy to stay with their handsome elven prince, albeit the prospect of becoming Queen of the Elves seems afar-off. Geradile admires her nice new dress, yellow silk from Mulhorand. Beverly's dress is light blue, also silk. Geradile: "This is the life! To think you wanted me to come with you to that nasty Festhall, Beverly!" Beverly blushes scarlet. Beverly: "I'm sure - much better than those smelly sheep of yours, Geradile."

Edited 1612349948
Erasmus spends his first full day in Ravensburg avoiding the Goodrock Inn. Jyrdani is busy training, she’s not even there! Why do I need to avoid it? he thinks to himself. Asking around, his first port of call is the Shrine of St Sollers. He spends a contemplative hour in the shrine before exploring the local area, hoping to find some work to fill his time. He will turn his hand to anything offered but would prefer to find a leatherworker’s so that he may exercise his preferred craft. If he manages to earn a little coin in the process, all the better; those potions of healing don’t buy themselves.
"Yes, we'll get you fitted out with the finest leathers," he says to Barbara. "And a sturdy dagger, and I'll show you how to use them. And no more dungeons, I promise." He snuggles her a little closer. Norrin, Son of Thorrin, Lord of D'Ashe Hall. He likes the sound of that. Lady D'Ashe smiles, and snuggles in closer. Her expression though is thoughtful. "In a month or so the weather will turn - we should retake the Hall by then. I have been thinking..." She looks up at Norrin. "We are going to have a lot of Festhall girls on our hands. It is not entirely respectable - but then, I have never been entirely respectable - but, what would you say to D'Ashe Hall continuing as a Festhall after Gurzun is gone? It would secure a good income stream..."
OOC: After her Tenday training with Norrin, Barbara D'Ashe is now PC-class (Rogue-2)! :)
The Goodrock Inn. "Hi guys, I'm looking for a dude named Eldred." Drawls a half-orc, who looks as if he's wearing barcat as a scarf.  "You look like adventurers, maybe you seen him?  He's my height and good looking ... like me."  He smiles showing a gold fang and pets the sleeping cat.
Matt said: The Goodrock Inn. "Hi guys, I'm looking for a dude named Eldred." Drawls a half-orc, who looks as if he's wearing barcat as a scarf.  "You look like adventurers, maybe you seen him?  He's my height and good looking ... like me."  He smiles showing a gold fang and pets the sleeping cat. A beautiful and fierce-looking redhead barbarian woman regards the Half-Orc with some distrust. "We knew him. He died bravely, fighting the Orcs of the Fallen Halls - he probably saved my friend Syrus, here (indicates the Bard). We buried him at Ramvira."
"Bummer." The half-orc looks sad. "Mind if I join you?  My name is Ted, Eldred was my bother. I'd like to hear all about it."
Matt said: "Bummer." The half-orc looks sad. "Mind if I join you?  My name is Ted, Eldred was my bother. I'd like to hear all about it." Jyrdani looks surprised. "Your brother?! ...I'm sorry. I'm Jyrdani of Jiyyd - you know Tenho. This is Syrus.... (introduces the party)."
Jack slips quietly from the inn.  The death of Eldred lays heavily on his conscience. Could he have done more? Did his hatred of Orcs cloud his judgment? He quietly saddles his warhorse, the simple, mechanical task relaxing him.  Pulling up the hood of his travel stained cloak he walks his horse into the comforting darkness. He must return to his order for instruction.  Then, like a shadow he is gone. 
Erasmus returns to the Goodrock Inn a little after dusk having not being seen all day. He arrives as Syrus is regaling the patrons with the tale of how the wandering adventurers had dispatched the great Ogre lord Ulfe and his 50-strong army to rescue Lady Mercellin from the very brink of death. Erasmus does not know how many times some of the drinkers have had to listen, but he has spent enough time with Syrus now to know that he likely started again for every new customer that entered. Some of the faces certainly look as though this is not the first time they’re hearing the song, yet this latest telling is a little different to the ones they’ve heard already. He nods a greeting to the bard who waves back cheerily and indicates a table where Jyrdani is sat conversing with Malied, Qiviel, Tenho and a stranger. The table is full, so Erasmus greets them and walks by heading for a table where Norrin and Lady D’Ashe are quietly talking, squeezing Jyrdani’s shoulder and throwing her a smile as passes. “May I join you, Lady D’Ashe? Sir Norrin? I hope I am not intruding?” The knight and Lady look up, clearly so deeply involved in their conversation to notice the monk approach. “Of course, Brother Erasmus. Come, take a seat.” Lady D’Ashe gestures toward an empty seat. “We’ve been listening to Syrus’s song get more and more fantastical for the past hour. Please, change the tune for us; what have you been up to? Nobody has seen you all day.” “My thanks.” Erasmus takes a seat, chuckling at the Lady’s description of Syrus’s song. “I have had a very interesting day, truth be told. It turns out that Master Temminische and Mistress Afrafa from the Monastery are here in Ravensburg. I have been with them to the castle, where I was introduced to Duchess Malla. She asked that I pass on her greetings to you, Sir Norrin. If you have time this week, perhaps you could head over to the castle yourself.” “I was then tasked by Master Temminische with some genealogical research. It was fascinating, discovering more of the lineages of noble houses. Unfortunately, I didn’t find anything of any real importance today, but I will continue my investigations until either I find something or it is time for us to leave.”
Erasmus remains in the common room for just long enough to take some food and ale, then makes his excuses to retire. “My eyes ache from reading the tiny scrawlings of the heralds of days past. I think I will take myself to bed. Goodnight my Lady, Sir Norrin.” Erasmus bows gently as he stands from his seat and makes to head upstairs. Seeing that Jyrdani has stopped her conversation with the stranger and is now looking intently at him, he pauses for a moment. “You look tired,” he says. “Have you had a productive day?”
Tim M. said: Erasmus remains in the common room for just long enough to take some food and ale, then makes his excuses to retire. “My eyes ache from reading the tiny scrawlings of the heralds of days past. I think I will take myself to bed. Goodnight my Lady, Sir Norrin.” Erasmus bows gently as he stands from his seat and makes to head upstairs. Seeing that Jyrdani has stopped her conversation with the stranger and is now looking intently at him, he pauses for a moment. “You look tired,” he says. “Have you had a productive day?” Jyrdani eyes Erasmus. "Mostly been practicing with Ironwolf - it's a little lighter than my old sword..." She pauses. "You know...  (deep breath) ...Most men like it when I kiss them." 
Erasmus is about to respond to her with a question about her swordplay but is interrupted by her second comment. "Do you... Oh... Um... Err... Aye, I liked it. Of course I did! I have just had some things on my mind at the moment which I am working through." He takes her by the shoulders and looks deep into her eyes.  "I'm getting there, I promise. Give me a day or two to meditate, please? Can you do that? I am just very tired tonight and I need to clear my head." He leans forward and kisses her gently on the forehead. "Two days. Tops." His focus returns to the room and he notices that, for the first time since entering the inn, the room is not filled with the sounds of song and lute. He closes his eyes and sighs, knowing without seeing what is behind him. He turns slowly and is entirely unsurprised to see a half-elven face split with a grin so wide he fears the top of the bard's head may fall off at any moment. "I'm going to bed. Goodnight, Syrus." And with that, Erasmus strides up the stairs to his lodgings.
"Eldred the half-elf is your brother?" looking up and down at Ted . "as a half orc Ted was both you and Eldred born from the same mother?" and if she is what a life she lived Strohm thought.
Tim M. said: “May I join you, Lady D’Ashe? Sir Norrin? I hope I am not intruding?” The knight and Lady look up, clearly so deeply involved in their conversation to notice the monk approach. “Of course, Brother Erasmus. Come, take a seat.” Lady D’Ashe gestures toward an empty seat. “We’ve been listening to Syrus’s song get more and more fantastical for the past hour. Please, change the tune for us; what have you been up to? Nobody has seen you all day.” “My thanks.” Erasmus takes a seat, chuckling at the Lady’s description of Syrus’s song. “I have had a very interesting day, truth be told. It turns out that Master Temminische and Mistress Afrafa from the Monastery are here in Ravensburg. I have been with them to the castle, where I was introduced to Duchess Malla. She asked that I pass on her greetings to you, Sir Norrin. If you have time this week, perhaps you could head over to the castle yourself.” “I was then tasked by Master Temminische with some genealogical research. It was fascinating, discovering more of the lineages of noble houses. Unfortunately, I didn’t find anything of any real importance today, but I will continue my investigations until either I find something or it is time for us to leave.” "Thank you, Erasmus," Norrin replies, bowing his head slightly. "I will do that. I have had dealings with Mistress Afrafa in the past, and it will be good to see her again. And thank you for passing along the Duchess' greetings. I was not present when she was restored to her rightful place, and I am honoured that she remembers me. But please, just call me Norrin. I am no knight, rather, just a former caravan guard who got lucky a few times."
Simon N. said: "Yes, we'll get you fitted out with the finest leathers," he says to Barbara. "And a sturdy dagger, and I'll show you how to use them. And no more dungeons, I promise." He snuggles her a little closer. Norrin, Son of Thorrin, Lord of D'Ashe Hall. He likes the sound of that. Lady D'Ashe smiles, and snuggles in closer. Her expression though is thoughtful. "In a month or so the weather will turn - we should retake the Hall by then. I have been thinking..." She looks up at Norrin. "We are going to have a lot of Festhall girls on our hands. It is not entirely respectable - but then, I have never been entirely respectable - but, what would you say to D'Ashe Hall continuing as a Festhall after Gurzun is gone? It would secure a good income stream..." Norrin thinks on this for a few moments. Although both relieved and excited that Barbara wants him to remain in her life, he's not ready for the quiet contemplative life of a gentleman farmer, or innkeeper. The excitement of the adventuring life is what he craves, raiding orcish strongholds, slaying dragons, vanquishing demons, leading armies. But he knows that the aristocratic Barbara -- everyone calls her Babs, but to him she will always be Barbara -- has no taste for the adventuring life. She has a mind for business, and perhaps after reclaiming Gurzun's Festhall and keeping it as such is more up her alley.  "We can do that," he says. "You can manage the festhall, and I can expand our holdings and make sure southern Damara is safe for everyone. The Festhall girls will just have to get used to their new roles. But yes, we will do this before winter sets in. And no one, not Gurzun or anyone of his ilk, will be able to say different."
Simon N. said: The Courana sisters are very happy to stay with their handsome elven prince, albeit the prospect of becoming Queen of the Elves seems afar-off. Geradile admires her nice new dress, yellow silk from Mulhorand. Beverly's dress is light blue, also silk. Geradile: "This is the life! To think you wanted me to come with you to that nasty Festhall, Beverly!" Beverly blushes scarlet. Beverly: "I'm sure - much better than those smelly sheep of yours, Geradile." "Glad to have you, fine ladies, aboard" Giving both the sisters a quick kiss "just leave all the dangerous stuff to me and I let you both take care of whatever treasures I claimed" Strohm gave a hearty laugh "I am also an Elf of desire so forwarn you both expect to have more sisters on the carriage" 
Geradile smiles when the kiss ends: "The more the merrier, eh!" GM: Rolled a Persuasion check for Strohm, 18+2 = 20, apparently they're not the jealous sorts. :) WhiteValyrian said: Simon N. said: The Courana sisters are very happy to stay with their handsome elven prince, albeit the prospect of becoming Queen of the Elves seems afar-off. Geradile admires her nice new dress, yellow silk from Mulhorand. Beverly's dress is light blue, also silk. Geradile: "This is the life! To think you wanted me to come with you to that nasty Festhall, Beverly!" Beverly blushes scarlet. Beverly: "I'm sure - much better than those smelly sheep of yours, Geradile." "Glad to have you, fine ladies, aboard" Giving both the sisters a quick kiss "just leave all the dangerous stuff to me and I let you both take care of whatever treasures I claimed" Strohm gave a hearty laugh "I am also an Elf of desire so forwarn you both expect to have more sisters on the carriage" 
Geoff said: Norrin thinks on this for a few moments. Although both relieved and excited that Barbara wants him to remain in her life, he's not ready for the quiet contemplative life of a gentleman farmer, or innkeeper. The excitement of the adventuring life is what he craves, raiding orcish strongholds, slaying dragons, vanquishing demons, leading armies. But he knows that the aristocratic Barbara -- everyone calls her Babs, but to him she will always be Barbara -- has no taste for the adventuring life. She has a mind for business, and perhaps after reclaiming Gurzun's Festhall and keeping it as such is more up her alley.  "We can do that," he says. "You can manage the festhall, and I can expand our holdings and make sure southern Damara is safe for everyone. The Festhall girls will just have to get used to their new roles. But yes, we will do this before winter sets in. And no one, not Gurzun or anyone of his ilk, will be able to say different." Barbara smiles happily. "You know, a new Barony would be an excellent thing... for the Mercellin, to secure their mining route from Hiddenglen to Ravensburg. For Camarthan, to secure their western frontier. And for the farmers, of course." It's clear she's been thinking about this for a while. She doesn't mention the Duke of Arcata, the supposed ruler of the domain.
Tim M. said: Erasmus is about to respond to her with a question about her swordplay but is interrupted by her second comment. "Do you... Oh... Um... Err... Aye, I liked it. Of course I did! I have just had some things on my mind at the moment which I am working through." He takes her by the shoulders and looks deep into her eyes.  "I'm getting there, I promise. Give me a day or two to meditate, please? Can you do that? I am just very tired tonight and I need to clear my head." He leans forward and kisses her gently on the forehead. "Two days. Tops." His focus returns to the room and he notices that, for the first time since entering the inn, the room is not filled with the sounds of song and lute. He closes his eyes and sighs, knowing without seeing what is behind him. He turns slowly and is entirely unsurprised to see a half-elven face split with a grin so wide he fears the top of the bard's head may fall off at any moment. "I'm going to bed. Goodnight, Syrus." And with that, Erasmus strides up the stairs to his lodgings. Jyrdani sighs again as she looks after Erasmus' retreating back. She looks over to Syrus. "That is one crazy mixed-up... " She trails off. "You don't think he took a Vow of Chastity, do you? I hear some of those Yellow Rose Monks make all kinds of crazy oaths."
WhiteValyrian said: "Eldred the half-elf is your brother?" looking up and down at Ted . "as a half orc Ted was both you and Eldred born from the same mother?" and if she is what a life she lived Strohm thought. "Yeah, Eldred was my bro mister elfdude."  A sad Ted sighs and offers Strohm a thin explanation  "Dad got around dude."  Ted nods sagely, Teds rat skull necklace nods with him in agreement, barccat yawns lazily.  "Reckon old dad would fit in here."  Says Ted, glancing around at the happy couples."  "Romantic vibe."
Matt said: WhiteValyrian said: "Eldred the half-elf is your brother?" looking up and down at Ted . "as a half orc Ted was both you and Eldred born from the same mother?" and if she is what a life she lived Strohm thought. "Yeah, Eldred was my bro mister elfdude."  A sad Ted sighs and offers Strohm a thin explanation  "Dad got around dude."  Ted nods sagely, Teds rat skull necklace nods with him in agreement, barccat yawns lazily.  "Reckon old dad would fit in here."  Says Ted, glancing around at the happy couples."  "Romantic vibe." Jyrdani smiles wrly. "Some happier than others. You asked about Eldred. Let me tell you..." Jyrdani regales Ted with a slightly exaggerated tale of brave Eldred, how he led the way into the Glitterhame and defeated the vile troglodytes lying in wait, cleaved through the flocks of stirges up to the Mountain Door. How his unerring bow felled many orcs, how in the final battle he spotted Syrus' dire peril and threw himself in front of the orc great axes to save his wounded comrade, until falling at the last as the defeated orcs sought to bring fallen foes down with them into death.
Once training is completed, Barbara D'Ashe proposes you make for Gurzun's Hall, and provides sketched maps and description, including the secret tunnel entry Jack is familiar with. OOC: I've moved the Player bar to Gurzun's Hall on the VTT (with characters hidden) so you can get an idea of the layout & hopefully make a plan, if you are going along with her proposal.
Simon N. said: Jyrdani smiles wrly. "Some happier than others. You asked about Eldred. Let me tell you..." Jyrdani regales Ted with a slightly exaggerated tale of brave Eldred, how he led the way into the Glitterhame and defeated the vile troglodytes lying in wait, cleaved through the flocks of stirges up to the Mountain Door. How his unerring bow felled many orcs, how in the final battle he spotted Syrus' dire peril and threw himself in front of the orc great axes to save his wounded comrade, until falling at the last as the defeated orcs sought to bring fallen foes down with them into death. "Whoa, heavy man, urm I mean dude, erm thanks lady J." Ted looks bashful and confused for a moment, then inspiration hits him.  "I could check out the hall for you guys if you like, you know, like drop in for a beer and check out how many guard dudes there are and stuff?"
Matt said: Simon N. said: Jyrdani smiles wrly. "Some happier than others. You asked about Eldred. Let me tell you..." Jyrdani regales Ted with a slightly exaggerated tale of brave Eldred, how he led the way into the Glitterhame and defeated the vile troglodytes lying in wait, cleaved through the flocks of stirges up to the Mountain Door. How his unerring bow felled many orcs, how in the final battle he spotted Syrus' dire peril and threw himself in front of the orc great axes to save his wounded comrade, until falling at the last as the defeated orcs sought to bring fallen foes down with them into death. "Whoa, heavy man, urm I mean dude, erm thanks lady J." Ted looks bashful and confused for a moment, then inspiration hits him.  "I could check out the hall for you guys if you like, you know, like drop in for a beer and check out how many guard dudes there are and stuff?" Lady Barbara looks to Tenho, who nods.  "That sounds like a good idea, Ted... as long as they don't get an inkling what you're up to. Norrin wouldn't like that ." She indicates the massive plate-armoured Northman by her side. "I suggest we set our camp in the woods east of the manor - it's not *too* unpleasant this time of year - while you scout the place and report back."
Lady Barbara looks to Tenho, who nods.  "That sounds like a good idea, Ted... as long as they don't get an inkling what you're up to. Norrin wouldn't like that ." She indicates the massive plate-armoured Northman by her side. "I suggest we set our camp in the woods east of the manor - it's not *too* unpleasant this time of year - while you scout the place and report back." "Whoa nice armour big warrior dude."  Says an impressed Ted.   "Okay Lady Barbara and impressive warrior dude, if anyone asks I'm a just a travelling rat catcher looking for work."  Ted winks and rattles his necklace of rat skulls.  "Mums the word."
Matt said: Lady Barbara looks to Tenho, who nods.  "That sounds like a good idea, Ted... as long as they don't get an inkling what you're up to. Norrin wouldn't like that ." She indicates the massive plate-armoured Northman by her side. "I suggest we set our camp in the woods east of the manor - it's not *too* unpleasant this time of year - while you scout the place and report back." "Whoa nice armour big warrior dude."  Says an impressed Ted.   "Okay Lady Barbara and impressive warrior dude, if anyone asks I'm a just a travelling rat catcher looking for work."  Ted winks and rattles his necklace of rat skulls.  "Mums the word." Barbara: "Rats... hmm, see if you can get down to the cellar, see if they've increased the guard on the secret passage. That might be our best means of ingress."
Erasmus spends the next couple of days engrossed in the genealogical study of the nobles of Damara. He uncovers new family ties between various minor families, but nothing concrete that provides precedence of Cognatic Primogeniture. This is, of course, concerning to the Monks of the Yellow Rose as Malla’s claim to the Duchy relies on evidence of such succession. Any time not spent researching, eating, or sleeping has been dedicated to meditation. At the end of the second day, as promised, he pulls Jyrdani to a quite corner of the inn. “I apologise for behaving strangely recently. As I told you, I have had a lot on my mind with particularly conflicting feelings. Thank you for granting me the time I requested, and for your patience until now. I wish to tell you about my life in the hope that it will help you to understand my struggle. “I had a wife. We lived in a village on the South Moors near the Earthwood. Several years ago, the village was attacked by orcs who came down from the Earthspur Mountains and nearly everyone was killed. I was beaten to within an inch of my life and was found by monks from the monastery a day or two later. They took me and couple of other survivors in helped us to recover. When I asked about survivors, I was told there were none. I asked to see my wife’s body, but the monks said that no one matching her description was found among the dead. I took this to mean that she had been taken captive and likely killed when the orcs tired of her. She was feisty and I know she would not have gone quietly. “I had resigned myself to the life of a widower, until this party was formed and we began rescuing people. That got me thinking – what if another band of adventurers had got to Isawyn and rescued her? If my wife is alive, I owe it to her to find her. This is what I have been meditating upon, and I have been unable to sense any connection. I guess I now know, in my heart, that she truly is gone.” Erasmus looks at the floor, tears welling up in his eyes.
Simon N. said: Barbara smiles happily. "You know, a new Barony would be an excellent thing... for the Mercellin, to secure their mining route from Hiddenglen to Ravensburg. For Camarthan, to secure their western frontier. And for the farmers, of course." It's clear she's been thinking about this for a while. She doesn't mention the Duke of Arcata, the supposed ruler of the domain. Stunned, Norrin looks at her, his mouth slightly agape. A barony? He, a baron? He is little more than a caravan guard and mercenary, and now he's thinking about becoming a baron? He's had no real home since he left Waterdeep. The time he spent recuperating at Ramvira Tower -- with this woman by his side to help him -- was the longest he's ever stayed in one place. Of course, everything she said is true. Duchess Malla would more than welcome a friendly face on Carmathan's western border, and several trade routes go through the region. Well, he wanted a lordship, so why not aim for the stars? "One thing at a time, my love," he says to her quietly. "First we need to reclaim your -- OUR -- home." "Norrin, Son of Thorrin," he says to Ted by ways of introduction. "And this is Lady Barbara D'Ashe. We seek to reclaim her rightful home, currently known as Gurzun's Festhall, and any help you can provide will be most welcome." He looks at his companions. "I have a plan. If it's complete garbage, now's the time to say so. I think we should have more than one scouting mission, but different people in each one, to waylay any suspicion. Ted's idea to pose as a rat catcher could be one of them. If they see the same person hanging around, they'll start to think something is up. Gurzun is smart and strong, and I expect no less from his men. Several scouts can learn their strengths, guard locations and patrol routes, stuff like that. Then, when the time comes, some stealthy members of our group can infiltrate the tunnel below the festhall, remove any guards or whatever may be below, and get ready. Then the rest of us, minus Barbara and myself, can enter the inn and likewise get into position. Gurzun knows us, so if we go in there too early, he will know something is going on. When everything is set up. she and I can enter and demand the hall back. There will be a fight, no doubt, but we'll already be in position." He takes a breath and lets it out. "There will be non-fighters in there, the festhall girls of course, maybe some farmers or traders. Their safety is most important, but if anyone bares steel against us,their life is forfeit. Barbara, perhaps once the blades start swinging, you can organize some type of evacuation." "Jack," he says to the ranger, "you have already been down in the tunnel, have you not? When you and Einar retrieved Duchess Malla? Do you have anything to add?"
Jack slipped out some time ago to get training from his order. He is familiar with the secret entrance and will be delighted to lead a surprise attack from that direction.  OOC looking at +2 Dex. Also @ Simon, will the magical half plate function as a +1 breastplate if only partially  equipped? 5e  Jack was always meant to be more stealthy than front line fighter. 
OOC If he has time, Erasmus will make Barbara's leather armour. I think I have this right: 10gp/50 = 0.2 weeks = 1 day to create. Don't know about cost, but it'll be a perfect fit, and have a little of the Bos flair. :)
Tim M. said: OOC If he has time, Erasmus will make Barbara's leather armour. I think I have this right: 10gp/50 = 0.2 weeks = 1 day to create. Don't know about cost, but it'll be a perfect fit, and have a little of the Bos flair. :) Yup - with 5gp worth of tanned leather (which can be bought in Ravensburg) & leatherworker's tools & proficiency, you can fit Barbara a nice 10gp leather outfit in 1 day. So if you do that at-cost it saves Norrin 5gp.
The planning is at the end of your tenday period, Jack's training takes 5 days. Yes I'll allow the +1 half plate to function as +1 breastplate when stripped of greaves & vanbraces. Chris T. said: Jack slipped out some time ago to get training from his order. He is familiar with the secret entrance and will be delighted to lead a surprise attack from that direction.  OOC looking at +2 Dex. Also @ Simon, will the magical half plate function as a +1 breastplate if only partially  equipped? 5e  Jack was always meant to be more stealthy than front line fighter. 

Edited 1612477020
Done. Erasmus buys the leather and creates an understated affair. It includes, on the pauldrons, intricately worked flowers (including some yellow roses) and on the left breast, very subtly, the D'Ashe crest. "Keep your money, Norrin. You have done much for us, allow me to do this for you."
Geoff said: He looks at his companions. "I have a plan. If it's complete garbage, now's the time to say so. I think we should have more than one scouting mission, but different people in each one, to waylay any suspicion. Ted's idea to pose as a rat catcher could be one of them. If they see the same person hanging around, they'll start to think something is up. Gurzun is smart and strong, and I expect no less from his men. Several scouts can learn their strengths, guard locations and patrol routes, stuff like that. Then, when the time comes, some stealthy members of our group can infiltrate the tunnel below the festhall, remove any guards or whatever may be below, and get ready. Then the rest of us, minus Barbara and myself, can enter the inn and likewise get into position. Gurzun knows us, so if we go in there too early, he will know something is going on. When everything is set up. she and I can enter and demand the hall back. There will be a fight, no doubt, but we'll already be in position." He takes a breath and lets it out. "There will be non-fighters in there, the festhall girls of course, maybe some farmers or traders. Their safety is most important, but if anyone bares steel against us,their life is forfeit. Barbara, perhaps once the blades start swinging, you can organize some type of evacuation." Tenho Isotalo: "If you want my advice - and I was thinking of going along on this little expedition, if you'd care for it - the more scouts you send, the greater the chance of discovery. I've done a few things like this in my time, and in my experience, the more complex the plan, the more points of failure. Your best bet is a simple plan that everyone can understand and follow. And our greatest advantage is the element of surprise. Let's keep it." Tenho looks over Barbara's map. "At present there's nothing to stop us all walking in the front door, right into the heart of the place. However... Where's Gurzun?" Barbara: "He stays upstairs - on the balcony, in his room, sometimes drinking with his men." Tenho nods: "And there are two ways upstairs - the main stairway up to the balcony, or the back stairs. Which, you'll note, go from the cellar all the way up to the second floor.... an excellent path to eliminate Gurzun, without disturbing the revellers in the main hall.  That would be my suggestion. Who else do we have to worry about?" Barbara: "His deputy, Alokoth, is competent. But neither of them wear their old plate harness, normally - they keep their armour in their rooms." Tenho: "Then I suggest we deal with them before they can don it... how many men, again?" Barbara: "About twenty."   
OOC - THANK YOU, everyone,  for this very interesting, informative and delightfully created thread! Sorry for my/Syrus' absence so far - having a busy day at work and will endeavour to put a post together before the game on Saturday night! (Happy to share I can stay for the full game again this week!)
Tim M. said: Erasmus spends the next couple of days engrossed in the genealogical study of the nobles of Damara. He uncovers new family ties between various minor families, but nothing concrete that provides precedence of Cognatic Primogeniture. This is, of course, concerning to the Monks of the Yellow Rose as Malla’s claim to the Duchy relies on evidence of such succession. Any time not spent researching, eating, or sleeping has been dedicated to meditation. At the end of the second day, as promised, he pulls Jyrdani to a quite corner of the inn. “I apologise for behaving strangely recently. As I told you, I have had a lot on my mind with particularly conflicting feelings. Thank you for granting me the time I requested, and for your patience until now. I wish to tell you about my life in the hope that it will help you to understand my struggle. “I had a wife. We lived in a village on the South Moors near the Earthwood. Several years ago, the village was attacked by orcs who came down from the Earthspur Mountains and nearly everyone was killed. I was beaten to within an inch of my life and was found by monks from the monastery a day or two later. They took me and couple of other survivors in helped us to recover. When I asked about survivors, I was told there were none. I asked to see my wife’s body, but the monks said that no one matching her description was found among the dead. I took this to mean that she had been taken captive and likely killed when the orcs tired of her. She was feisty and I know she would not have gone quietly. “I had resigned myself to the life of a widower, until this party was formed and we began rescuing people. That got me thinking – what if another band of adventurers had got to Isawyn and rescued her? If my wife is alive, I owe it to her to find her. This is what I have been meditating upon, and I have been unable to sense any connection. I guess I now know, in my heart, that she truly is gone.” Erasmus looks at the floor, tears welling up in his eyes. There are unaccustomed tears in Jyrdani's eyes too. She seems about to say something, but thinks better of it. Silently she reaches out and hugs Erasmus tight.
Tim M. said: Done. Erasmus buys the leather and creates an understated affair. It includes, on the pauldrons, intricately worked flowers (including some yellow roses) and on the left breast, very subtly, the D'Ashe crest. "Keep your money, Norrin. You have done much for us, allow me to do this for you." Barbara tries it on (changing in her room) and emerges smiling. "Thank you, Brother Erasmus. It's very martial - quite delightful!" She grins. "I feel like one of those Narish warrior-princesses!"  Jyrdani looks up, catches her eye, and giggles. Barbara blushes slightly. "...Well, maybe just a little."