Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

HEAR YE! HEAR YE! New GM Tool Card Deck: Instant Calendar Cards! Fast and Easy date tracking!

Edited 1612620119
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Instant Calendar Cards Need a Quick and Easy Way to Keep Track of the Date? No problem! Here's Your Solution! The Concept The idea is simple. It's based on a 28 day calendar, so all 12 months are exactly 28 days. Draw one card from the  Months of the Year Deck  and one from the  Days of the Week Deck . That's your current, in game date. The  Months of the Year  cards have an information blurb that explains the story behind the month's name and any traditions and holidays. The  Days of the Week  cards also contain an information blurb that explains the story behind the name of the day and what normally happens on that day. It also shows the current moon phase. So with  just two cards you'll have: the current month and day; what normally occurs during that month and particular day and trivia; and what phase the moon is in! I wanted to create a calendar system where the players didn't have to memorize unique names of the months and days and convert them in their heads. So, I created names that are phonetically suggestive of our real world months and days and provided a story behind each name. The Decks There are two decks. Months of the Year Deck This deck indicates the current month. Days of the Week Deck This deck indicates the current day. Start All 12 months are exactly 28 days in length. This keeps everything--including tracking the phases of the moon--simple and easy. Using the Decks Mouse over the  Months of the Year Deck . On the pop out box on the left, click on  Choose.  Choose the appropriate month card by either dragging onto the table top or into your hand. Repeat with every change of the month, returning the previous card to the  Months of the Year Deck. Do the same with the  Days of the Week Deck . Repeat with every change of day, returning the previous card to the  Days of the Week Deck . Okay, let's do an example: In my game, the current date is Oarsday, Ahpril 5th. So, I mouse over the  Months of the Year Deck . I click on  Choose  and then drag the  Ahpril Card  into my hand--I prefer to hold the Calendar Cards in my DM's hand so I can easily consult them. The card's information blurb reads,  "Named after a fertility spirit called the Lady of Flowers. Mating Season begins. A Time of planting." Okay, so I now know what's going on during this month. Next, I mouse over the  Days of the Week Deck . and click on  Choose . Then I drag the  Oarsday 5  card into my hand. The card's information blurb reads, "Start of the Fish Market. Runs until Adderday, Fisherfolk bring their catches to Market." And it also tells me what the current moon phase is:  1/4 Waxing Moon.  Great! I know what's going on that day and what phase the moon is in! Now, I have in my hand the  Ahpril  and  Oarsday 5  cards. Together the two indicate that the current date is  Oarsday, Ahpril 5th.  Next , the party rests for a day. I mouse over the  Days of the Week Deck . and click on  Choose . Then I drag the  Eyeday 6  card into my hand. I return the  Oarsday 5  card to the deck. The new date is  Eyeday, Ahpril 6th.  Let's look at the Eyeday information blurb:  "When the Eyes of the Gods open and take stock. People try their best to behave."  Okay, a day of superstition. Repeat as needed. That's it! Simple, right? Get the Instant Time Tracker cards   and then you'll always know the date, the time and the phase of the moon!

Edited 1612647884
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Using this deck together with the Instant Time Tracker deck, I can track the date and time almost as easily as looking at a watch or smartphone.  It's 10:10 a.m. on Ensday, Ahpril 4th 
Gold
Forum Champion
Clever! LOVE the idea of using this with Card Faces showing to Players and having it above the GM, in the GM's hand. There can be many other uses for this too. Going to think about it and try it.&nbsp; I really need Text on Card Decks for full accessibility though, to be able to edit the monthly predictions, and especially to be able to print the plain text into the chat room. The Suggestion thread for that would appreciate all Card Creators' and card-user's +1 votes if you agree: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1292722/allow-text-inside-card-decks/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1292722/allow-text-inside-card-decks/</a>
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thank you!&nbsp; I voted on the thread you linked. Good idea.
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Screen shot of the Player Landing Page (where the bookmark is placed between sessions). Just two cards, your players log on and they instantly know what they need to know about the date. Make the passage of time fun again!&nbsp;

Edited 1613240129
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Since the demand for this is larger than I expected, an alternate deck is in the works! &nbsp;Thank you so much for your support!