Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Open-ended roll support

Score + 37
I am sure there is enough critical momentum now for a full Dev support to cover open-ended rolls native. After all there Zwiehander, VsDM and other D100 systems aside from Rolemaster. Could we please have (out of the box) up and down open-ended rolls? I await the supporting comments from my fellow D100 players.
Here! Here! Let's have more native support.
Yes, please make it happen.
John B
Pro
Sheet Author
So it is easy to make an open roll go up but I have not seen good success based on how they have the dice work for dice rolling that allows adding in compounding dice to either go up or go down so we can have a negative number or a positive on a D100 system..  All we can do with native support is have two rolls and then manually add them together and well automation should be about taking more of the math that I need to do away.
This is such a good idea. Please make it so!
Can't agree more. Sounds like a pretty simple thing to support. There is already lots of support for other rolling mechanics why not this.
Great idea, please make it happen!
Yes please.
Agreed
As a paying user of Roll20 I’d be very happy to see this feature enabled 🙂
This would be a great add on
Yes please.
The lack of support for this is a big part of why I haven't tried running a VsDM game, despite backing the Kickstarter.
+1
Yes! I need this for VsD and Rolemaster!
Strongly agree
That's the way to roll against the darkmaster!
Go for it! We need Open-ended rolls!
Yes please, go for it!!!
Yes, please!
Yes
Yes, support your independent games
yes please!
Great idea - would love this.
Make it so please!
Would find it a useful feature.
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Craig T. said: I am sure there is enough critical momentum now for a full Dev support to cover open-ended rolls native. After all there Zwiehander, VsDM and other D100 systems aside from Rolemaster. Could we please have (out of the box) up and down open-ended rolls? I await the supporting comments from my fellow D100 players. A lot of people seems to support this, however I am completly blank on what an open ended roll is. Could you provide some examples? That would probably also attract more votes :) 
Open-ended rolling Two conditions 1) 96-00 roll again and add to the previous result for the final roll. Should 96-00 be the result of the second roll then these rolls stack. 2) 01-05 roll again and subtract from the previous result for the final roll. Should 96-00 be the result then subtract again in a negative stack. Rationale Currently, the Open-ended community roll up or down on using macros of various forms. These are ported between games and obviously for those of us without the inclination to work out how to use these and install them ( we would prefer to start playing the game) this is a problem. We can thank the makers of character sheets for including buttons to do macro rolls (some of these work, some are less satisfactory). What we don't have is an option on the Dice roller panel that just runs. We can D100 and re-roll but not a one press open-ended roll.   Here is my ideal version Roll and the 3D dice rolls once. If it meets the criteria below 5 or above 95 then there is a second roll on screen and the result is added or subtracted based on the criteria. This will continue if there is a second open-ended criteria (in the right direction). The final result is given. I suspect that this will lead to a few sheet developers incorporating this into their sheets. Less ideal Take the best of the macros that do exist and build on these. These seem to have multiple dice (usually all the same colour) rolling (just in case). So in the less ideal case of multiple dice rolling each of the 3D dice would need to be a different colour to help differentiate. The different colour dice is cosmetic but you wouldn't believe the number of players who feel aggrieved at rolling a 99 in the cluster of dice only for it not to be the initial roll and not count.  I think that's about it for what the community as a whole have been talking about. 
Seconded! open-ended rolls help RoleMaster, VsD, and even DC Heroes!
We have 2 rolemaster campaigns on the go using Roll20, we would appreciate adding the open end dice roll facility.
Add my voice to open ended rolls!
I have to add my voice for open up and down rolls. A must for my Rolemaster campaign!
With the new version of Rolemaster planned for release this year, it would be great to have this functionality available.