Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character token opacity

I've got an issue that is bugging me with regards to character tokens. Namely some of them are slightly see-through, and I'm not sure why. Below is an example of this, notice how for Zadimus the map is bleeding through, but isn't for other characters? Its not a huge deal, but it does make the character blend into the map more, and thus is harder to see. (Its actually kind of a cool effect if I knew how to make it happen consistently) Anyone know what causes this, and how to stop it? I checked file types and the images pictured are all JPEGs, so that doesn't seem to be the cause. The only other difference I can think of is that Zadimus (and other tokens with the issue) is a recent upload (within the last month), while the others are older (a little over a year probably). I got a Plus subscription between those points in time as well, so maybe that has something to do with it? Any insight as to what this is and why it is happening would be appreciated
This sounds like a bug to me. That being said though have you done shift-z and then right clicked on the image to see what it points to? Only PNG files support transparency so unless something is happening that is converting to a PNG file format it should be the same as your other tokens. The other thing to check is to make sure it not on GM layer and is on the token layer. Is the same on ever page you drop the token on? One thing I might also suggest is dragging the token from your image library see it looks the same? If so maybe as a test delete it and reupload it. See if its consistent?
If I do the Shift-Z and click the token is pointing to the full image (no transparency) which I had uploaded. The file is definitely a JPEG, and not a PNG, that was my original thought as well. I have had the issue on multiple maps, but now that I am looking for that, an older map (that doesn't have the dynamic lighting and existed before I was a plus) does not have the issue. Looking into this showed that when dynamic lighting was turned on the issue returned.  I think I have found the reason however, and I'm not at all sure why this is the case, but that character and by extension its token wasn't controllable by me. I'm the GM, so I have control of all the characters in GM mode, but not this one when in player mode. I'm not sure why it is the case, but once I noticed that difference and gave player-me control of the token the opacity resolved.  Thanks for the help Mark!
No problem glad you got it resolved.
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi Joe. Take a look at this other ongoing bug thread, in which there seems to be an inconsistent/odd interaction between GM Layer and Token Layer objects: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9809542/all-new-tokens-behind-gm-layer/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9809542/all-new-tokens-behind-gm-layer/</a> &nbsp; Not sure if it's related or not. The appearance of the bug is visually similar, dealing with improper solidity (non-transparency) desired/expected normally for Tokens.
Well...&nbsp; I'll be... Gold--I could kiss you right now for bringing me here. Joe. I had this issue, but had narrowed down the complete manifestation of it over in the thread Gold has pasted. Your information has solved the problem for me! (And also, I think, exposed a bug...) I will clarify on my thread, thank you Joe!&nbsp; Thank you Gold, I really appreciate your detective work in bringing things together.
Gold
Forum Champion
Excellent progress, I love to be able to bring people together &amp; to connect like-topics, recognize patterns, listening to user's descriptions of what they're seeing and what they want to do. That's my style. CheersDietrich.
Dietrich, glad the info helped.&nbsp;