Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dice Labels stopping it Rolling the Dice

Trying to sort out a macro for Vampire the Masquerade. The system requires a number of D10 equal to a Stat + a Skill being rolled and each one that comes up higher than the difficulty is a success. My basic macro assuming Strength 3 and Athletics 2 and a difficulty of 6 [[(@{strength}+@{athletics})d10>6]] works fine 5D10 are rolled and it totals up the successes. What I want is labels to tell me what stat and what skill were rolled. I have tried [(@{strength}[Strength]+@{athletics}[athletics])d10>6]] which puts in the labels, but refuses to roll the dice just adding the number of dice together, so if Strength were 3 and Athletics 2 it would bring up 5 as a result instead of rolling 5d10.  Is there any way around this to add the labels and to have it roll the dice properly.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Grouped rolls are a bit finicky. Would this be close enough?  [[(@{selected|strength_mod}+@{selected|athletics_bonus})d10[Strength + Athletics]>6]]
That would work for a one off, but i was hoping i could work something out to take into account that a stat or a skill could change.  I can manage a drop down menu options to bring up the right stat or skill, but I wanting to add the labels to see what stat or skill was being rolled.  I kept the example simple in hope that i was just missing something.  if it can't be done then I can accept that, it is a limitation of the macro system, at least it means i'm not banging my head against the proverbial brick wall trying ot make it work.
You could put the calculation into a nested roll, letting you use labels, which you reference afterwards. For example: [[ [[ @{selected|strenth_mod} [Strength] + @{selected|athletics_bonus} [Athletics] ]]d10>6 ]] success(es) from $[[0]] dice You wouldn't see the labels in the successes roll but would see them in the dice count roll and this would let you use simpler drop-downs that include the appropriate labels.
That gives me the information I needed, hopefully I can work forward from there to get the full macro and dropdown menu working. I knew someone on these forums would probably be able to come up with a solution for me, and so I keep learning more tricks.