Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Some macros are incredibly loud

Edited 1404673535
Detailed Description of the Problem Some of the time when my players user their macros the notification blood from the chat log is unbearably loud. The bloop is so loud it hurts our ears, and we can't figure out a way to lower the volume of the notification without lowering the volume of the whole browser. This is happening very inconsistently, and we are unable to determine why some macros are loud. Anyone have a fix to this or also experiences this? As far as we can tell it is only absurdly loud when there are dice rolls called and the chat notification sound is triggered. We tried with just text to trigger the notification, but that doesn't seem to make it loud. We tried putting the macro text into the chat box direction, which didn't seem to fire the loud noise. Due to the inconsistent nature of the extra loud notification we don't want to rule anything out. Several of my players experience this as well as the notification being loud for some players on a roll, but not others on that same roll. Steps to Reproduce the Problem Step 1: Make a macro with dice rolls Step 2: Use macro Step 3: Sometimes an exceptionally loud notification from chat log Description of Your Setup (Browser + Version, Operating System, etc.) Operating System Windows Windows 7 Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 Web Browser Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Browser Size 1920 x 979 IP Address <deleted - Gauss> Color Depth 24 bit Javascript Enabled Flash Version 14.0.-1 Cookies Enabled
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Are you using the 3d dice and in another tab when the bloop happens? I've noticed that if the focus is on another tab or program and I have the 3d dice enabled the sound is louder when someone makes a roll.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Any time you are not in the chat tab and it moves (something is entered) there is a notification sound. This occurs for all things not just Macros. You can disable the beep in your settings tab. Uncheck the "Enabled Background Chat Beep" box.
I have 3d dice disabled, and I know that the notification is supposed to go off whenever something occurs in the chat tab. Macros are intensely louder than normal notifications and this happened over the last week or two. It is loud enough to hurt my players ears. For now I have disabled the notifications, but this also disables the flashing blue tab so I have no way to notice without actually checking the tab. I've hosted many games without this issue, but we just started up after a month hiatus and the sound level has been an issue.

Edited 1404943013
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tim , could you send me a join link? I was not able to replicate the problem.
If I'm to guess a cause, consider that this might be the sound of several bloops compounded into one: The program stores a bloop to play, but doesn't play it until the focus changes. Then it stores additional bloops to play in this way, so that when the focus finally changes, all these bloops are played all at once.
Well the sound is there to notify you that something happened while the chat is not focused, so it doesn't wiat till the chat focuses. However, I think Michail is on to something. When you got a macro that fires 3 or 4 lines of chat at once, it could be the sound is triggered 3 or 4 times at more or less the same moment and plays simultaniously. So a macro like this /me rolls to attack Attack roll: /roll 1d20+5 Damge: /roll 1d12+12 Special conditions: +2 damage against undead +4 damage against humans +1 attack within 30 ft could theoretically trigger the notification 9 times in a blink of an eye. I just tested this and for me it sounds more like it does blop-blop-BLOP-blop or something, so not 9 times but definitely more than once, and a few seem a bit louder than others. But it was locally, triggering it from one window and receiving it in the other, so maybe depending on the connection it might trigger at the same time.
I haven't played in a week, but this happened to us a few times then. I can confirm that it is a problem. I should be playing tonight and I will try to pay attention to exactly how it happens.
I seem to recall a bug where if you alt-tabbed away from Roll20 and back to it... it would play all the chat notifications at the same time. Mayhap that bug has resurfaced somehow?

Edited 1406160007
Gauss
Forum Champion
I have confirmed the bug and filed a bug report with the Devs.