Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Passive checks drop down menu macro

Hi all. I'm looking for a macro that creates a dropdown menu to allow me (as the GM) to perform passive checks (in secret) against all characters e.g. one of the obvious candidates would be the passive perception and passive insight as a menu item. Is this possible with a macro? Does such a thing exist already?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Yes, it's possible(and not much of a check as it's passive, so you're just calling/checking we values of these stats. If you want to check the PP of all player characters, just make a macro that spells out the name of a character, followed by the stat. Example, if you use the D&amp;D 5E by Roll20 sheet, and have PCs Alice and Bob, you could have the following macro that whispers their stats to you: /w gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Passive Perception}} {{Alice=[[@{Alice|passive_wisdom}]] }} {{Bob=[[@{Bob|passive_wisdom}]] }} passive insight liekly doesn't have a dedicated stat, but could be almost as easy to do: /w gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Passive Insight}} {{Alice=[[@{Alice|insight_bonus}+10]] }} {{Bob=[[@{|insight_bonus}+10]]}} If you then save these two macros in your game as general macros with the names passivepers and passiveinsight , you can make a third macro that first asks you which one you want to use: ?{Passive Check|Perception,#passivepers |Insight,#passiveinsight } Note that the need to be a space after the macro name for this to work properly: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Complete_Guide_to_Macros_%26_Rolls#Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Complete_Guide_to_Macros_%26_Rolls#Macros</a> In theory you could bundle all these into one macro, but that would require html replacement an I don't wanna go there now. If you want to input a number to the macro an have it checked against the PC's number, it can be done, but I'll leave that for someone better than me to show you. In the mean time, read the Complete Guide to Macros &amp; Rolls , an the pages/examples it links to, and you'll be able to figure it out by yourself. Disclaimer: I'm only mediocre at macros, so can only give you this simple example, but others are able to show you more. I keep updating the Complete Guide to Macros &amp; Rolls page to be a better resource for learning and figuring out macro creation, which is somewhat spread out on a number of other pages, but it only goes as far as the great macro people don't really update/expand the wiki or it's examples.
Andreas J. said: Yes, it's possible(and not much of a check as it's passive, so you're just calling/checking we values of these stats. If you want to check the PP of all player characters, just make a macro that spells out the name of a character, followed by the stat. Example, if you use the D&amp;D 5E by Roll20 sheet, and have PCs Alice and Bob, you could have the following macro that whispers their stats to you: /w gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Passive Perception}} {{Alice=[[@{Alice|passive_wisdom}]] }} {{Bob=[[@{Bob|passive_wisdom}]] }} passive insight liekly doesn't have a dedicated stat, but could be almost as easy to do: /w gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Passive Insight}} {{Alice=[[@{Alice|insight_bonus}+10]] }} {{Bob=[[@{|insight_bonus}+10]]}} If you then save these two macros in your game as general macros with the names passivepers and passiveinsight , you can make a third macro that first asks you which one you want to use: ?{Passive Check|Perception,#passivepers |Insight,#passiveinsight } Note that the need to be a space after the macro name for this to work properly: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Complete_Guide_to_Macros_%26_Rolls#Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Complete_Guide_to_Macros_%26_Rolls#Macros</a> In theory you could bundle all these into one macro, but that would require html replacement an I don't wanna go there now. If you want to input a number to the macro an have it checked against the PC's number, it can be done, but I'll leave that for someone better than me to show you. In the mean time, read the Complete Guide to Macros &amp; Rolls , an the pages/examples it links to, and you'll be able to figure it out by yourself. Disclaimer: I'm only mediocre at macros, so can only give you this simple example, but others are able to show you more. I keep updating the Complete Guide to Macros &amp; Rolls page to be a better resource for learning and figuring out macro creation, which is somewhat spread out on a number of other pages, but it only goes as far as the great macro people don't really update/expand the wiki or it's examples. Thanks, Andreas.&nbsp; To complicate matters, I use DDB via Beyond20....so clearly this isn't going to reference the DDB character sheet. However, I do use bar3 to store the value of the passive perception. Is it possible to reference each characters bar3 rather than the character sheet? Or this that getting a bit insane? Note: I didn't mention this originally as I'm toying with coming over fully to roll20.
Harry Wraith said: Thanks, Andreas.&nbsp; To complicate matters, I use DDB via Beyond20....so clearly this isn't going to reference the DDB character sheet. However, I do use bar3 to store the value of the passive perception. Is it possible to reference each characters bar3 rather than the character sheet? Or this that getting a bit insane? Note: I didn't mention this originally as I'm toying with coming over fully to roll20. Use this: @{selected|bar3}
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Complete_Guide_to_Macros_%26_Rolls#Token" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Complete_Guide_to_Macros_%26_Rolls#Token</a>
Having read and borrowed, and thought more about what I want to achieve, I've come up with this: it doesn't allow me to roll against them, but I can see everyone's scores in one go.&nbsp; &amp;{template:default} {{name=Party Health}} &amp;{template:default} {{name=Party Health}} {{Grumph=HP @{Grumph|hp}/@{Grumph|hp|max}, AC @{Grumph|ac}, PP @{Grumph|Passive_Wisdom}}} {{Books=HP @{Books|hp}/@{Books|hp|max}, AC @{Books|ac}, PP @{Books|Passive_Wisdom}}} {{Wraith=HP @{Wraith|hp}/@{Wraith|hp|max}, AC @{Wraith|ac}, PP @{Wraith|Passive_Wisdom}}} {{Raven=HP @{Raven|hp}/@{Raven|hp|max}, AC @{Raven|ac}, PP @{Raven|Passive_Wisdom}}} My next question is...how can I make this look better?
Harry Wraith said: Having read and borrowed, and thought more about what I want to achieve, I've come up with this: it doesn't allow me to roll against them, but I can see everyone's scores in one go.&nbsp; &amp;{template:default} {{name=Party Health}} &amp;{template:default} {{name=Party Health}} {{Grumph=HP @{Grumph|hp}/@{Grumph|hp|max}, AC @{Grumph|ac}, PP @{Grumph|Passive_Wisdom}}} {{Books=HP @{Books|hp}/@{Books|hp|max}, AC @{Books|ac}, PP @{Books|Passive_Wisdom}}} {{Wraith=HP @{Wraith|hp}/@{Wraith|hp|max}, AC @{Wraith|ac}, PP @{Wraith|Passive_Wisdom}}} {{Raven=HP @{Raven|hp}/@{Raven|hp|max}, AC @{Raven|ac}, PP @{Raven|Passive_Wisdom}}} My next question is...how can I make this look better? What do you want it to look like?&nbsp; What do you mean you can't roll against them?