Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Attempting to create a Shield Bash Macro (5E

Hello Roll20 community, 1st post in the forum itself so please forgive any formatting issues/post etiquette. My Search-fu has failed me in finding a way to create a shield bash macro. We are using the D&D 5e by roll20 sheet if that's relevant. Still quite green to Roll20 Macros, so I have been bashing (nyuk nyuk) my head against the wall for a while on this so I thought I might see if anyone has any ideas. Apologies again if this has been covered. In the campaign I am a player in we have two (including my paladin) Shield Master front liners so I thought I might help the DM out with a simple Macro. The goal of what I would like is a token action Macro that includes text regarding if it's the Push Back or Knock Prone part of the Shove ability. I thought a simple Inquiry Macro followed by some flavor text showing which one has been used and then finishing with the athletics roll itself should be doable. Bonus points if we can also include the opposed roll of the enemy. My first attempt looked something like this:  &{template:default}{{name=Shield Bash}}{{?{Attempt Type|Push, @{selected|token_name} braces their feet and attempts to shove the enemy back using their shield.  @{selected|athletics_roll} vs opponents opponents Strength(Athletics or Dexterity(Acrobatics) roll.|Prone, @{selected|token_name} spots a moment of advantage and attempts to trip their opponent using their shield. @{selected|athletics_roll} vs opponents opponents Strength(Athletics or Dexterity(Acrobatics) roll.}}} Unfortunately I think the sting gets broken with the comma's as I get this when used: And then I lose the rest of the string inside the Query, just getting the Athletics roll posted in the chat. If I can get this to work I know I then need to add the Advantage/Disadvantage toggle if I can. And then  if I can get that to work it would be nice to be able to pull the target's opposed roll. Though I am not sure if that's possible for "Plus" members or if that would be more on the "Pro" subscription level. Any Guidance cast would be very appreciated. Cheers!
I'm actually looking for the same sort of thing. As a player, I'm just looking to show the GM which checks to make and automatically roll my athletics. Using the same character sheet as OP and I am also trying to navigate my way through the macros as a noob to roll20. For reference, this is the closest I've gotten -  &{template:default} {{name=Shove}}{{check=Athetlcs or Acro}} {{against=Joss Athletics}} I can't insert anything in the place that currently says "Joss Athletics" without it breaking. It just shows a thin, purple bar. So sorry for hijacking this thread, but I will be watching this thread too.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@OP Your issue is likely that @{selected|athletics_roll} is trying to insert a templated roll in its own right which will contain all manner of syntax that breaks a query. Run @{selected|athletics_roll} on it's own, then press up in the chat and you should see the outcome of that attribute call... if nothing else it will help you dissect what you need for your calculation. Post back if you need further help and have the full code for us to help with :) @Joss Yours sounds like a corrupt chat archive... do any rolls work at all or is it just in that example? If ALL you'll need to clear the games chat (from the main game page, not within the VTT)... it often occurs following incorrect template syntax although this is anecdotal as I've never been able to establish the exact causes lol
Everything else seems to work fine
@ Ziechael Thanks! I think that will put me in the right direction. So instead of using the template for the roll I am going to have to break down it down in the macro itself. That makes sense. I had done a simple Healing Potion Inquiry macro and that worked fine, but I see now that inserting a template shortcut is different then a simple [[dice]] calculation. That clears the problem up pretty well actually.  I tested that out by changing the @{selected|athletics_roll} with just a simple [[d20]] and the macro worked fine. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to recreate that formula.
OK, I just inserted [[d20+3]] and my macro works - I swear I tried that earlier and it was breaking, but I absolutely don't discount user error. I'd prefer not having to update it, but since it won't be updated often, I can live with it. Sorry for the bother and thanks for the help.

Edited 1614274763
Oh Wow.. So that was far simpler then I thought. I just did a simple [[d20+@{selected|athletics_bonus}]] and  it works just fine. Just need to see about  pulling an opposing roll. Awesome. Thanks Again!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A literal win-win... I'll take it. Happy gaming both of you :)