Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][5e][TEXT] Looking for 5-6 players for a campaign! Story/character-driven! [beginners welcome]

Edited 1614464237
Hi all! I'm Ink. I'm planning on putting together a text-based campaign and am seeking 5-6 players who are looking for a story/character-driven campaign! I prefer to use D&D Beyond for character sheets because I can share the relevant content books there, and there's now a rolling feature! For playing, we'll likely use discord, if everyone is good with that. This will be text-based, but not play-by-post. Rather, we will pick a time and date everyone can meet for weekly sessions, like a regular game. I'm on Central time, and I don't tend to stay up past 11pm. Thursday nights and Sunday nights are not available. It occurs to me that I should probably say a bit about myself:  I've been running and playing in text-based rp games for about 20 years or so now. I've been playing 5e for three or four years now, usually via text-games because I don't have the set-up for voice or video. I'm queer and nb - they/she for pronouns, generally. When I play, I like monks and clerics, but my first character ever was a warlock. When I DM, I like to incorporate backstories into the campaign to make the story richer and more personal for my players. I also use a living world - your choices and actions will effect the world, but things will also move on without you, which could, of course, have consequences.  I like to leave genre up to my players - so political intrigue, high seas adventure, open sandbox, etc. I typically use a session 0 to iron out those kinds of details so that everyone is on the same page as far as expectations/rules/etc. We're all crafting a story together, so everyone should have a hand in it.  I go with 'rule of cool' usually.  That's about it for me. If you have questions, feel free to ask~  Some things to keep in mind:   I am working on my Master's thesis at the moment, so if I'm making time for the campaign, I do want the same level of commitment from players.  I don't allow pvp or murder-hobos or people who are there just to be disruptive. Silliness and chaos is fine, but there is a line. We're all trying to tell a story and have fun. You gotta be lgbt+ friendly and preferably over 18. I'm 31.  Open communication is key! If you have a problem, communicate it! If you can't make a session, communicate it!  As for the campaign itself: It will likely be a Wildemount campaign, but I'm open to doing Descent into Avernus or Curse of Strahd if the group prefers.  To apply:  Tell me which campaign you prefer and some general character ideas, as well as your favorite rp moment from a game, if you have one. If you don't, then tell me what you like best about d&d. 
Hey!  I'd definitely love to join a good text campaign! I'm queer & trans and 32. I also don't like to stay up past 11, lolll.  I've not played a ton of D&D, I've always been more of a VtM and Star Trek & Star Wars type gamer. But I'm always looking for a good text campaign to join! This is to say - I'd be fine with either Wildermount or any of the others.  As far as my character goes, I'd probably either play a monk or sorcerer class character. I haven't played D&D since 3rd edition, so I'm not up to date with  any changes, but yeah! Can't go wrong with a drifting monk or a sorcerer wrapped up in her books & study! 

Edited 1614396126
Hello :-) I'm down for trying a text-based game. I have no strong feelings about the nature of the campaign setting--Wildemount or Homebrew or whatever--except that I would not be so interested in a Curse of Strahd campaign in that, one, I already know the general story beats and, two, I just don't find the themes or setting to be very compelling.  Other than that, I'm up for trying anything at least once! I don't tend to come up with character ideas before having a chance to play, but I like more magically inclined classes, so, like, wizard, warlock, or sorcerer.  I've also never played either a bard or druid before, and I'm sure I could get down with playing one of them.  I'm totally down for an unbalanced party if everyone else is, but I'm also fine with filling in a niche if others feel we're missing something. Edit: I'm available all of Wednesday until 8pm (when I have another game) and Fridays after, like, 7pm if I have to work (which I haven't been lately, so it could be all day depending on the week/schedule).  I'm in the Eastern Time Zone, so an hour ahead of Central.
Oh! If everyone could suggest the days they are either free or would like to play, along with a general time (please also mention your time zone), that'd be great!  Also: if we end up doing Wildemount, we'll be using the heroic chronicle to flesh out backstories, so don't worry so much on that end at the moment! Also, I do allow magic tattoos, UA, and all the new fun stuff in Tasha's book.
I'm definitely interested, although I've not used those tools before. My older brother might be curious too. If you still have gaps later, I'll be open. Good stories and characters tend to get free art from me as well. :3 Good luck on your master's too!  I have a LFG up with more info on me if you wanted more detail. 

Edited 1614454259
You replied to my post and now I am here! I'm Tarot, also LGB(T)(Q)+! I'm 29 and would love, as you know, to find a Wildemount campaign! I have so many character ideas. Like, so many. I'd love to play a Damage Only/Damage Predominant Cleric (my 'default' RPG class is Cleric but decidedly more 'healer'-esque usually, hence me wanting to play a less healing focused one!) or any class/character that uses a Wildemount specifc background, class, race, etc. I just really want to be able to play with the character options from the EGTW book! Editing to add that I'd LOVE to play a Bard too and have a really good idea for one but it needs to be in the Exandria universe to work properly, ahah My favourite RP moment ever was in my first RL Tal'dorei game. My Light Cleric of Pelor died previous to even meeting the BBEG. He was a devout cleric and was seen to be important in the temple's structure before he even started to adventure, and only furthered his devotion as he adventured. He died as he lived - protecting his friends and found family. He met Pelor beyond the Divine Gate and was given a second chance with a strict time limit of 6 months. He married his childhood sweetheart, defeated a great undead evil, and passed away peacefully at the end of it all, sealed away in a temple to Pelor in Vasselheim. He was elevated to a Champion of Pelor before his death, and in the campaign which we're playing on a rival VTT currently due to COVID, is venerated as a demigod on Exandria now, hundreds of years later in that universe. My favourite RP moment was, well, all of that. But if I had  to pick it'd be the moment the resurrection failed and while we're all weeping IC and OOC my DM just gives us all whiplash by describing Pelor and my Cleric's vision being overcome with light. We all LOST IT. As for time and day and such, I'm free currently any day except for Monday and have another game pending arrangement. I can make any other day or time. I am in the UK, but don't mind being up late or at weird times for a game at all. The few and far between perks of not working for the foreseeable!

Edited 1614464209
Hello all!  I will likely leave this up another day or two for more responses, just to give everyone a timeline. But I will be messaging soon with a discord group to those interested! It does look as though it's going to be a Wildemount game!
Hello! I (she/her) am DnD starved and this looks like the exact sort of campaign I would love to join! I always enjoy playing games with a higher focus on story and characters, as collaboratively telling a story is my favorite aspect of TTRPGs! I'm also 28 and queer so it's always comforting to know a group will be lgbtq+ welcoming. I've played in a few campaigns, and DM'd a very simplified homebrew game myself with a group of friends who were mostly new players. It's been a few years tho, and I'm not familiar with Wildemount, so I might need some help at the start with game mechanics and what not, hope that would be alright! I'm definitely happy to play any campaign though! As far as character ideas, I really like the idea of playing a monster race, if that would be cool with you - as an example, one thought that was kicking around in my head being a kobold that found a deck of many things on a slain adventurer and drew a card either not knowing what it was or hoping for riches, only to draw the Balance card and become Chaotic Good as a result. (In this case, they would have left the deck behind when leaving their tribe; I would not want to inflict this item on the party!) If sticking to more typical player character races, I was also playing around with the idea of a friendly half-orc woman who would either be a fighter or a barbarian. I've typically played defensive or magic-based classes before, so it would be fun to mix it up some! Currently in central time zone, and available for any day of the week! However, come mid-May I will be moving for work and end up in Alaska Standard Time Zone, and will only be available on my off-days, which will most likely be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Unfortunately, even with the time difference, I would not be consistently available during the days I work (mon-thurs) since my job often involves camping out in the backwoods without cell service or wifi; I know that's not ideal, so if the schedule doesn't line up with everyone else, I completely understand if that means I wouldn't be a good fit! My favorite rp thing from a DnD game was unintentionally having my anxiety-ridden character and another player's chaotic character develop a sibling relationship where they constantly teased each other. They played off each other really well and it helped both of us out with unexpected character development, with her character helping mine come out of his shell, and mine helping hers keep a level head when the situation called for it.
Hello there! I'm 23 and I've been searching for a text based game for a while now so this sounds right up my alley. Anyway, I've done curse of strahd before so prefer not to have it again. Aside from that, I don't have much preference in which to go with. As for characters, I'm fine with filling in a role and would even multiclass to suit the needs of the group with the reason for it still being story relevant. I don't min max if the group doesn't in case that set off a flag. Anyway, I've played a few mages already so maybe someone with martial ability this time around... or a caster built to take the frontline would be nice. Flavor-wise I like making a character's backstory at least have something interesting to them right out of the gate. A reborn grave cleric, (Is UA allowed to let me do that? aha) a warforged sorcerer taking on the life of the first friend they had. I'll come up with something once we know the setting but I mostly do go in that direction. Nothing crazy. Just a bit of mystery to the character the dm is free to use at some point
I'll also post this in the Discord, but the days I'm most free would be either be Mondays, Tuesdays or Thursdays, ideally - I'm pretty open as far as time goes. The earlier the better, but with an 11 PM cap, more or less anything will work for me. I'm central standard time.  And those days aren't a hard limit, either - I can work around other days if need be! 
I might like to do this as it definitely would still fit my schedule.  I'm 40, soon to be 41. I have played a few ttrpgs in the past (VtM in the early to mid-'90s) and have wanted to get back into it recently. I'm currently working on a second degree myself so I know how schedules can be crazy at times. I am fairly new to DnD 5e but have been doing a ton of research on it, and I have a background in videogame design so I am pretty familiar with the concepts.  I do have a few PC ideas already in mind, but am happy to work on something new that would better suit the group and the story/adventure of the DM. 
I really would like to try this as the timing works really well for me. I've tried with groups IRL through school and work but it always ended sour as we could never have a good time due to bad cohesion. I'm in my mid 20s and open to getting back into D&D with a fresh group of people over discord as I've really wanted to give playing D&D another go. I'm a bit of a greenhorn to D&D but I've played a lot of other tabletop rpgs and i'm really hoping for a good balance of combat and role play. I'm up for whatever setting, flexible with what class is needed for a smooth game, and open to whatever sounds like fun! :D I'm usually only available ideally on weekends (Fri-Sat) but can be free on weekdays if need be from 6pm to 11pm (Central time) due to work and family.