Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

3.5e Weapon Macro Issue - Multiple d20 and Damage Dice Displayed

Hi all, Brand new player here and as I'm trying to get my character sheet setup I'm running into an issue with weapon attacks. When I use the default attack macros I'm getting 3 d20's and 3 damage dies displayed on screen instead of 1 each. Interestingly enough, the number of damage die being displayed seems to be affected by my crit multiplier of 3. If I set that at multiplier to 2 I get two die, and at 1 the "correct" number of die is displayed. The number of d20's being displayed onscreen is always 3. And I promise, these are the default macros I'm using...I clear them out and they repopulate themselves, so I don't think I'm snarfing this up. Does anyone have any suggestions? Here's shots of what I'm seeing... The dice roller display: The Chat Output: Finally, my Attack Calc / Macro: 1d20cs>@{weapon1critmin} +@{bab}[BAB] +@{epicattackbonus}[Epic AB] + @{weapon1stat}[Ability] +@{size}[size] +@{weapon1enh}[Weapon Enh] +@{weapon1focus}[Weapon Focus] + ?{Flank (1=yes)|0}*2[Flank] +?{Power Attack? (put in penalty with negative sign ie -3)|0}[Pwr Attk] +?{Additional Attack Bonus?|0}[Ad'l Atk Bon] &{template:DnD35Attack} {{pcflag=true}} {{name=@{character_name}}} {{subtags=attacks with a @{weapon1name} }} {{attack1=hitting AC [[ @{weapon1attackcalc} ]] }} {{critconfirm1=Crit?: [[ @{weapon1attackcalc} ]] }} {{fumbleroll=Fumble: [[ d20 ]] }} {{damage1=for [[ @{weapon1damage} ]]dmg}} {{critdmg1=+ [[ @{weapon1crit} ]] crit dmg}} {{fullattackflag= [[ 0d1 ]] }}  Full Attack Macro: &{template:DnD35Attack} {{pcflag=true}} {{name=@{character_name}}} {{subtags=attacks with a @{weapon1name} }} {{attack1=A1: [[ @{weapon1attackcalc} ]] }} {{critconfirm1=Crit?: [[ @{weapon1attackcalc} ]] }} {{fumbleroll=Fumble: [[ d20 ]] }} {{damage1=D1: [[ @{weapon1damage} ]] }} {{critdmg1=+ [[ @{weapon1crit} ]] }} {{fullattackflag= [[ ?{Full Attack?|No, 0d1|Yes, d1} ]] }} {{attack2=A2: [[ @{weapon1attackcalc}-5 ]] }} {{critconfirm2=Crit!: [[ @{weapon1attackcalc}-5 ]] }} {{damage2=D2: [[ @{weapon1damage} ]] }} {{critdmg2=+ [[ @{weapon1crit} ]] }} {{attack3=A3: [[ @{weapon1attackcalc}-10 ]] }} {{critconfirm3=Crit!: [[ @{weapon1attackcalc}-10 ]] }} {{damage3=D3: [[ @{weapon1damage} ]] }} {{critdmg3=+ [[ @{weapon1crit} ]] }} {{attack4=A4: [[ @{weapon1attackcalc}-15 ]] }} {{critconfirm4=Crit!: [[ @{weapon1attackcalc}-15 ]] }} {{damage4=D4: [[ @{weapon1damage} ]] }} {{critdmg4=+ [[ @{weapon1crit} ]] }} Damage Calc / Crit Calc / Damage Macro: 1d8 + @{weapon1damagestat}[Weapon Dmg Ability] +@{weapon1enh}[Weapon Enh] +@{weapon1specialize}[Weapon Spec] +?{Power Attack Bonus?|0}[Pwr Attk] +?{Additional Damage Bonus?|0}[Ad'l Dmg Bon]   [[ (@{weapon1critmult}-1) ]]d8 + [[ (@{weapon1critmult}-1) ]] *( @{weapon1damagestat}[Weapon Dmg Ability] +@{weapon1enh}[Weapon Enh] +@{weapon1specialize}[Weapon Spec] +?{Power Attack Bonus?|0}[Pwr Attk] +?{Additional Damage Bonus?|0}[Ad'l Dmg Bon])  &{template:DnD35Attack} {{pcflag=true}} {{name=@{character_name}'s @{weapon1name} }} {{damage1=does [[ @{weapon1damage} ]]damage}} {{fullattackflag= [[ 0d1 ]] }}
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
When using 3d dice, you will see all dice rolled for the template whether they display or not.  For example, the template rolls 3 d20's:  one for the attack roll, one for the critical confirmation, and one for the fumble roll.  The crit confirmation will only be displayed if the attack roll meets or exceeds the crit value, and the fumble roll will only be displayed if the attack roll meets the fumble criteria, but the template has to roll them so they can be displayed if needed.  Likewise, with the damage values, the template rolls more damage dice than needed for the damage calculation so that it can display the critical damage if the attack roll meets or exceeds the crit value and there might be a crit.  Unfortunately, there is not a way to have the template conditionally roll the dice, just conditionally display them so you will always see additional dice in the 3d dice unless you take the crit confirmation, fumble, and crit damage rolls out of the macro by editing it.  You would then need to roll those dice separately somehow if they were needed. Hope this helps.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
This comes up often on the forums... so I've added a note for it on the wiki;  3D Dice and Roll Templates
I got this fixed for the single attack by removing the code confirming the crit hit and crit damage since we don't use that in our game...for our DM a crit is a crit, no confirmation. But the text in the chat output still shows the d20 roll in GREEN if a crit is made. The full attack obviously is a different animal...I can remove the crit stuff, but it still rolls the four d20 anyway. Thanks for the help Diana!