Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can you use Light Crumbs with UDL?

Hey all! Question: I've been using UDL for a bit now but my explorer mode keeps bugging out on me, going completely gray and removing all characters sight. Seems to be a bug that they're investigating at the moment. Anyway, I wanted to use the Light Crumbs to try and recreate Explorer Mode without actually using the bugged system I keep experiencing. I've followed all the steps from the old Legacy lighting and have a token that emits low light that is in all of my players journals and can be edited and controlled by All Players. However, whenever I place the light crumb (as the DM), on somewhere they've seen, it is not visible to anyone, regardless of what I do.  I have a Dummy account, but the only way I can get it to work is if I have the Dummy Account place the light, even then, it's only visible to the Dummy account, even though the light crumb "should" be visible to everyone. Thoughts? I'm out of ideas here to get it to work. I'd love to use the Explorer if I could, but obviously it isn't working for me at the moment. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Does the Crumb also have sight, as well as light? Try moving it one square after you place it.
with LDL  there's a toggle for "all players see light"   that would mean they saw where it was through walls etc. I can't see that option in UDL you could try give the token vision then  adding 'ownership' control of the light tokens to all players ... and ask them all nicely to not move them around the place, should show up them ... you can't move them to another layer though as then they would vanish from sight (I think)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
"All players see light" did not grant the ability to see it through walls. That was the assigning of control permissions. "All players see light" is an LDL setting designed to differentiate darkvision from torchlight. Give the token sight and either light or night vision, assign control to All Players, and it should work normally.
Thank you so much, all. You were absolutely correct. It turns out my issue was that I was focusing on the journal entry being controlled and viewed by all players instead of the token, which I did not realize until your replies. Thanks for the solution!