Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rime of the Frostmaiden 1.4 patch update messed up my game!

Hi.  After doing the update, my Rime of the Frostmaiden game is completely messed up wrong maps are in there.  I don't know how to fix it without creating a new game (which I want to avoid since players have made their charcters already!). Here's the screenshot with the wrong maps.  I don't even know what these maps are! Please help ASAP!
Just tried adding a brand new game and the same set of wrong maps show up.  Something is completely messed up with the product.
Same, what the hell just happened?! 
As a workaround, if you create a new game, you can use the character vault to bring characters over from the old game.
Also, on the game page under settings, you can roll the game back - but it goes in 1 day increments so depending on how much you'll lose that may or may not be worth it.
As I've indicated creating a new game did not solve the problem.  It still has the same set of wrong maps in the new game!  
Jackson P. said: Same, what the hell just happened?!  I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one? (Misery loves company all that).  But, this seals it that this is a problem on Roll20's end.  Roll20, please fix this ASAP! For others, if you own Frostmaiden DO NOT UPDATE!
Apprentice of Adventure said: Also, on the game page under settings, you can roll the game back - but it goes in 1 day increments so depending on how much you'll lose that may or may not be worth it. What point in time does it archive each day?  I made some changes last night around 10-11pm. Would I lose those?

Edited 1615495364
FYI.  There's a new patch.  Seems to have fixed things (though you'll lose any changes you made to the maps unfortunately).
What point in time does it archive each day?  I made some changes last night around 10-11pm. Would I lose those? " This will roll your game data back to some time between 1:00 PM and 11:00 PM on the date selected above" So...almost definitely.
Eve
Roll20 Team
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. As you noticed there was a bug in patch 1.4 for Rime of the Frostmaiden causing it to bring in maps from a different module. We have corrected this bug and released patch 1.5 to correct the problem. The next time you go to the Game Details page of your Rime of the Frostmaiden game it should prompt you to apply patch 1.5. If you continue to experience issues after applying patch 1.5 please reach out via our Help Center and we'll be happy to assist you.
If we did not update 1.4 and get the wrong maps, do we ignore the 1.5 patch?
Ajax DM said: If we did not update 1.4 and get the wrong maps, do we ignore the 1.5 patch? Whatever you do don’t update to 1.5 it is game breaking
Peter G. said: Ajax DM said: If we did not update 1.4 and get the wrong maps, do we ignore the 1.5 patch? Whatever you do don’t update to 1.5 it is game breaking 1.4 is the broken update.  1.5 fixes it.
  I just copied my game and tried updating to 1.5. all my tokens went missing and my maps all reverted to stock state. I'm glad I backed up my game otherwise I'd have hours of work to fix it. 
yeah unfortunately, 1.5 will delete any customization you've done to the maps.
So, essentially, if you have hours of work out into some of your maps, don't update is what we're saying?

Edited 1615747456
yeah if you haven't done so, i wouldn't update it from v1.3 if you don't want to lose any work.  I think v1.4 and v1.5 are mainly for converting maps to UDL and some stuff with nameplates on enemy tokens so it's hidden from players. Fortunately, for me, just started my campaign and I don't have much map customization I lost just some simple map settings and some token settings.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To all: try it with a copy of your game. I just did on the game were are in the middle of, and nothing changed. Or rather, no custom maps were overwritten, tokens added or marked as dead were still there or in the same state. This was on a copy still on LDL. I don't know if there would be any differences if you were using UDL. But it costs nothing but maybe 5 minutes of time to test on a copy. Number of games don't count against your storage quota. Carl, I know you said you did this, but did you run the 1.4 first, and then the 1.5? It might be the difference. I went straight to 1.5.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, if you never ran 1.4, you shouldn't need 1.5 It's just a correction to the mistake of 1.4.
yeah it might just be, if you lost your maps because of 1.4, that those maps are essentially gone.  if you go straight to 1.5 there's probably no problems.  so I'd just wait for the next patch before updating to be honest.

Edited 1615766259
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
For those of you who did lose data, you could try filing a  Help Center Request  and request a rollback. It's not your fault you lost your changes, and it's possible the game state is recoverable. If it's not, well it sucks, but there may be nothing that can be done. I lost two months of work on my campaign because of a failed rollback. It's a pain in the neck, but...
I did the 1.5 update on a back up game and it overwrote all my changes (but not my DL settings), with the exception of the token page - I ended up with two - my changed page, and the default page. Your results may vary.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Doug E. said: I did the 1.5 update on a back up game and it overwrote all my changes (but not my DL settings), with the exception of the token page - I ended up with two - my changed page, and the default page. Your results may vary. Was your game on LDL or UDL before applying the 1.5 patch, and had you applied the 1.4 patch to it?
Well what was 1.4 supposed to do? I can't find update notes. Was it just a screw up and not suppose to be a release?
1.4 converted maps to UDL and changed permissions on nameplates of tokens so that players can't see them per patch notes.
1.5 update messed up my game - I should know better than to trust Roll20 updates :(

Edited 1615882853
Jim W. said: 1.5 update messed up my game - I should know better than to trust Roll20 updates :( and rollback leaves it in same mess???  WHY does rollback not fix this? I never saw 1.4 1.5 has reverted all maps to original state, except has also added UDL to every tactical map, which I only add to maps individually to avoid known issues!
Yeah, I am really curious about what's going on here as I'd love to update my game and get the changes but I'm now in fear I'll lose the work I've done. Can anyone from Roll20 provide an update here?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Joshua G. said: Yeah, I am really curious about what's going on here as I'd love to update my game and get the changes but I'm now in fear I'll lose the work I've done. Can anyone from Roll20 provide an update here? If you have doubts or concerns, make a copy of your game and see the results there.
Good shout keith. I'll try that out. 
1.5 update has messed me up too. It sucks because I should have known better but I clicked the update without thinking. Thankfully it didn't touch any of my custom maps, characters or handouts and I keep most of my notes in external files, but I can empathize with people who have lost much more of their work. It is frustrating and even if it's not fixable I hope roll20 has more to say than "oh well, sucks to be you."
keithcurtis said: Joshua G. said: Yeah, I am really curious about what's going on here as I'd love to update my game and get the changes but I'm now in fear I'll lose the work I've done. Can anyone from Roll20 provide an update here? If you have doubts or concerns, make a copy of your game and see the results there. Why should I backup my games if I pay pro? Why isn't this a feature at this point? Why are we pushing updates without QA?  Honestly if I have to backup everything, everytime Roll20 does something it kinda defeats the point.

Edited 1616112122
1.5 just completely reverted all of the module maps back to default state, enabled UDL, removed any drawings and tokens, and put everything back on GM layer. Custom maps were untouched, but any changes to the included module maps since I started DM'ing this module are now gone. Rollback fixes nothing, what the heck. Has there been any official response to this issue yet?
Copying game is a one click procedure.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I honestly wish I knew what the difference was. I've tried every iteration of old game, new game, game updated to UDL before patching, other way around... I can't replicate any data loss.

Edited 1616191299
Data Lost:- New Tokens to campaign maps, move of tokens on said maps, change of text to other layers - all reverted to Roll20 default UDL changes from Off to On for all Tactical maps Token settings are reverted to the Roll20 default Characters settings are reverted to the Roll20 default Cards dealt to players are back in pack Handouts are reverted to original state  (Text, player visibility) So basically it's as if created a new game for this campaign, updated to UDL and added PCs and custom stuff That a roll-back does not fix this, and that UDL is turned on are the hardest to understand!
I applied the 1.5 patch to a copy of my Rime of the Frostmaiden game.  I had not applied the 1.4 patch.  Changes I noticed: For each map that came with the campaign, the tokens were reset to their original state.  Tokens that I'd added were removed. For each map, Fog of War was disabled. Handouts that came with the campaign were reverted to their original player visibility. Character sheets are gone.  (I think this happened when I copied the game, not when I applied the patch.) I hope I never accidentally click the upgrade button for my game, because I don't want to lose my changes. I'd appreciate a more thorough QA process for these patches.  Perhaps the 1.5 patch could be made available only to those who have installed 1.4, because it's better than nothing.

Edited 1616268473
Adding mine to the pile : saw today there was an update (last time I checked the game was two weeks ago), applied it, and it reset everything non custom. Which is absolutely maddening because I was in the process of rewriting basically every handout, and had changed the scale of every map to uses meters instead of feet. Days of work gone. That is really not okay, especially considering all the update said was that it removed some maps that weren't supposed to be added or something. From my reading this update seems like it was supposed to revert the damage done by the previous one, but it should really not have been available for those who had not applied said previous one. Guess that'll teach me to trust an update and not backup my game beforehand. (rollback does nothing by the way)
The most frustrating thing about the whole debacle is that there doesn't seem to be anything being done about it, we had one reply here from staff, there has been no apology from staff for the inconvenience.. I'd heard bad things about roll20's customer support. This is my first time experiencing it. 🙁
I asked the support about an update, but nothing so far.
Still no answer from the support, pretty crazy to release a patch breaking things for a paid product and never bother to follow up with any responses. I have to assume its still broken so i still didnt install the patch. I dont think i am asking for unreasonable amounts of customer service here.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Install it on a copy of your game as a test. I ran multiple patches under several test conditions and was unable to reproduce the data loss some others have experienced.
I tested it with a copy, its less bad than i imagined but still fucks up some things. For example i added tokens for all the bag of tricks summons so i have them ready when my player uses them. These tokens still exist but dont have the clickable attack and damage rolls (and no char sheet in general) anymore. The same goes for any Character sheets i edited -- e.g. i spend a long time tuning xardoroks statblock to better fit my needs, giving him new abilities etc. In the updated campaign his char sheet only has the bio&Info and the Attributes&Abilities tabs, but not the "Character sheet" tab from which i can roll saving throws and abilities. Actually i just checked around more and thats true for ALL tokens in the updated campaign, which makes it pretty unusable for me. I think i will just stick to the non updated version, and i stand to my point about this being not acceptable behaviour from roll20.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's a copy issue, not a patch issue. When you copy a campaign, it does not automatically repeat the character sheet choice (in case you want to use a different sheet). A missing character sheet tab just means that the sheet was not manually chosen. You can still do this after the fact by going to the campaign settings page, but it would probably be better to do it while copying and then run the patch.
when I patched I lost the Main overland map that shows all of the towns etc.  Also a number of the player hand out items I'd show to my players are no longer around. WTF do I do to get these back? My players relied on that map.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Contact Roll20 in a  Help Center Request . The map should not have been deleted, nor should any of the player handouts. Hopefully, they can restore those to your game. I wish I had easier answers, but I can't replicate any data loss, even on a heavily modded game with edited and added maps.