Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Interest Check] Play-by-post Legend of the Five Rings 4th ed

Umbra
Sheet Author
Hey everyone! I've been interested in picking up L5R for a while, and figured I would take matters into my own hands. Now, sadly I'm away from my microphone at the moment, but I figured: "Hey, why not just make it make it play-by-post instead?" Said and done, here we are. I'm fine with a slower-paced game; at least one post per day is fine, but if people are active, we'll keep moving. I won't require too much familiarity with the system, but some willingness to learn about the setting would be required. For simplicity's sake, I'll only allow material from the core book. Individual exceptions can be made, but we'll have to discuss that when the time comes. Any takers?

Edited 1404834627
I would be interested, and can post at least once per day (probably alot more) :) I have a decent understanding of the mechanics and the setting (although not that much practical experience).
I am in.
Umbra
Sheet Author
Yeah, the one-post-per-day is just to keep the game going. I've been in PBPs before where very little actually happens, which can really ruin the pace. I'm in the process of creating the initial scenario right now, but I once I have a solid idea of what's going to happen, I'll send everyone a link! Probably looking at somewhere around five players in total.

Edited 1404837124
If you want something easy to start with, I own a TON of the Heroes of Rokugan scenarios that I would happily lend you. Also, my intended character (let me know if acceptable): Name: Kitsune Gakuya Clan: Mantis School: Yoritomo Courtier School Rank: 1 Expereince Points: 40 Insight: 126 --------------------- Earth: 2 Stamina: 2 Willpower: 3 Air: 2 Reflexes: 2 Awareness: 3 Fire: 3 Agility: 3 Intelligence: 3 Water: 2 Strength: 2 Perception: 2 Void: 2 ----------------------- Skills: Commerce (Appraisal): 2 Courtier: 2 Defense: 1 Etiquette: 2 Intimidation (Control): 2 Sincerity: 2 Lore (Heraldry): 2 Kenjutsu: 2 Iajatsu: 2 Slight of Hand: 1 Wazikashi Katana Extravagant Clothing Calligraphy Set Travelling Pack 10 Koku Advantages and Disadvantages: Clear Thinker @ +3 True Love @ -3 Social Disadvantage: Ronin @ -3 Kitsune Gakuya, a younger courtier of the Mantis, was a student of Yoritomo Yoyonagi’s. Despite being from a family known for shugenjas, Gakuya is unable to speak to the kami. Gakuya was able to learn the honorable art of kenjitsu as it was an honorable skill for any servant of the Throne to have. Adakichi worked as a geisha in one of the most prominent geisha houses in Nanashi Mura. It was here that she met a young Gakuya. The two spent much time together and Gakuya even went so far as to ask her to marry him. Adakichi refused however citing personal differences, and Gakuya focused hard on his studies to be an exemplary courtier. After Gakuya and Adakichi went on their separate paths, Adakichi focused hard on her craft and learned how to attract the eye of the more prominent figures that came through her geisha house in Nanashi Mura – earning the ear and hearts of many a powerful man. While not being particularly good at traditional skills, Gakuya was always good at mathematics and finances. While this skill gave him no advancement in “proper society,” he did manage to catch the eye of Kotaishi – the regional treasurer. Having managed to close some tax loop holes, Gakuya was later assigned to the court to be the representative of Kotaishi. Kotaishi knew that finding a samurai that understood basic economics was rare, let alone someone with a talent for securing finance. Despite his position, Kotaishi understood that his association with the Koku of the Empire would stain him in the eyes of some but that Gakuya would be able to maintain enough distance to still be an effective voice in the courts. As both Gakuya and Adakichi continued advancing in their own careers over the course of several years, it seems that fate would intervene when bringing the two together again in a diplomatic meeting between the Unicorn and the Mantis. Adakichi was now a favored geisha Ide Tang who was in attendance. When Gakuya and Adakichi’s eyes connected, for the first time in several years, Gakuya felt all of the emotions he had felt towards her earlier in life coming back. After the meeting, instinctively, both knew that they had to talk. Truth be told, it was not that Adakichi did not love Gakuya, it was that she needed to focus on her honor and her duty, and the two conflicted. Meeting under the cherry blossom on a full moon, the two exchanged formalities and talked. After a lengthy conversation, things turned emotional, and signs of affection were expressed. A stray guard on patrol that night saw this act and alerted his master. When questioned, Gakuya did not deny the accusation. Losing his standing with Kotaishi and facing dishonoring his family, Gakuya took a horse and took off into the night never forgetting his true love.
Umbra
Sheet Author
I'll have to look over the math to see if it works out, but the character himself is absolutely perfect. Definitely fits what I have in mind?
Are you aiming at any particular focus or theme for the game?
Umbra
Sheet Author
A little bit of everything, with the exact focus depending on what you guys end up playing. I adjust my game to my players, not the other way around. For now, just make what you want to play, and we'll figure out the exact theme once we know everyone's character.
I'd be interested in joining. Will you be using roll20 for everything or a different forum?
Umbra
Sheet Author
I'll be using Roll20 for everything, unless a clearly superior option comes up.
I would be interested. I'll work on a character inbetween poking this CSS. it'll be good practice since I plan on GMing a game in the system later this month.

Edited 1404923349
Umbra
Sheet Author
Alright, game has been set up. <link removed> Name might change once we decide what exactly will be going on.

Edited 1404917998
I'd be interested (if there's still space). I'm not very experienced with pbp, but I should be able to post pretty frequently, other than a week long vacation I have coming up the first week in August (let me know if this is a problem). I am familiar with the setting an rules. I've run a con game with 3rd and tried to start a 4th edition game on here that died out after a few weeks. I will start working up a character from some wanted to play in the past.

Edited 1404923384
Umbra
Sheet Author
Yeah, there's definitely still space for more people. I would say one more, present company excluded.