Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Any Way For A Player To Make Rolls _Only_ The GM Can See?

I found a closed thread on this topic, but nothing recent, so I'm asking again ... Thieves always think they're successfully hiding in shadows or moving silently, until events prove otherwise. As such, I like to allow players to make these rolls (player agency in their own fate is crucial), but so that only I can see the result -- the number is hidden even from the player. Is there a way to emulate this in Roll20? Definitely something I'll need for the game I've got coming up. Thanks,
I don't believe there is, I've asked about implementing this before. As a workaround, I have macros set up where I, as the GM, am able to make those hidden rolls for the players; in these cases only I see the results, although I'm using their character sheet to draw the info. I also use these macros to make hidden rolls where the players don't even know I'm rolling anything at all. That, and the occasional visible roll with no explanation, guarantees that the players have the nicely heightened sense of paranoia and imminent doom I prefer in my games! q;} I too prefer the players to make their own dierolls whenever possible, because even though it really doesn't make any difference it feels like they're in control of their own fate, and that's important in these types of games. -Phnord
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You can set something like this up with the API.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It requires the use of the mentor level API. There is a script written that allows players to make rolls that show up only for the GM to see (I remember someone asking about it a while ago and I think Brian was the one that responded but don't quote me on that)
Thanks for the speedy reply; it's much appreciated. My players are friends of mine, so they don't care much if I'm making physical dice rolls on my desk as GM, outside of the program, which they can't see. They know I'm only trying to make the game exciting for them. Still, as you say, being able to make the dice rolls which reflect their own actions directly -- even if they can't personally see the results -- that _is_ important. It's a pity Roll20 isn't there yet.
Pat S. said: It requires the use of the mentor level API. There is a script written that allows players to make rolls that show up only for the GM to see (I remember someone asking about it a while ago and I think Brian was the one that responded but don't quote me on that) Alas, bumping my sub up past Supporter-level isn't something my budget can handle right now. So near, and yet so far. Sigh. Thanks for the speedy information, though. Much appreciated.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
This is something I would like to see implemented as well. It would be nice if the players could whisper a gmroll that ONLY the GM would see. Something like /w gmroll or maybe a new command all together. /gmonly
Well, you can use pretty much that anyway (/w gm gmroll 1d20 + [[...]]) if your GM is onboard. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work if you include the leading slash ("/w gm /gmroll" works, but "/w gm /gmroll foo" gives an error), but you can still give your GM everything else they'd need to do the roll for you. Alternatively, in meatspace games I sometimes have players roll a few checks at the start of a session (e.g. ten stealth and ten perception checks) to achieve the same result. For bonus points, you can make players feel even more connected to the roll by having them roll to select one of the checks they pre-rolled (e.g. 1d10 to select which of the ten pre-rolled stealth results they get). That way, they get to roll something without actually seeing what the ultimate result is (unless they have a freakish memory, in which case you secretly randomize the order of the roll table).
Just whisper to your GM and use inline rolls. Very clean and very quick to do manually if needed. /w GM [[1d20+7]] to try to steal from the shopkeep without the Paladin noticing.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
That still shows the player what he rolled. Manveti is suggesting the RL equivalent of passing the GM a note that says "Roll a d20 + 8 for my check to steal from the Paly" You're suggesting the RL equivalent of taking the GM aside in another room and rolling a d20 and saying "this plus 8 is my check to steal from the Paly.. dang... guess he's gonna notice.."
Gold
Forum Champion
Pat S. said: It requires the use of the mentor level API. There is a script written that allows players to make rolls that show up only for the GM to see (I remember someone asking about it a while ago and I think Brian was the one that responded but don't quote me on that) That is the answer. One of my DM's likes this feature, and he might show up to post about it. He's Mentor level and is running the API and he asks the players to type !broll to execute the "Blind roll"

Edited 1405008582
You could also do a less interactive version(player wouldn't trigger it, but can tell GM) of this with just macros if the players have their skills/attributes/etc setup in their Character Journals. Player: "I want to duck into the shadow and peak around the corner to eavesdrop on the conversation..." As the GM: /w GM Target Rolls Stealth:[[ 1d20 + @{selected|Stealth} ]] Perception:[[ 1d20 + @{selected|Perception} ]] Insight:[[ 1d20 + @{selected|Insight} ]] etc.... GM: "You duck behind a curtain, conceiling you from the view of the two emissaries. You try to listen in, but the thick curtains muffle their voices... you can't quite make out what they're saying; just that it's a very heated conversation.
Could you set it up as a token action so the roll still whispers to the gm and all he has to do is select the token and click the macro so that way its got all the info and the player can keep up on bonuses and all that
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
As a GM on roll20, I like to take advantage of as many tools found in the app as possible. I know I can make the rolls in private or look at the character sheets directly or have a quick "statblock" on the party for reference. I currently let the players know with a macro that I'm doing just that /em The GM seems to be rolling some dice... Wouldn't it be nice to have the players initiate certain rolls where the outcome may not be obvious and ONLY the GM would see the result and communicate the results accordingly? Dungeon World comes to mind as a system that has the players make the majority, if not all the rolls. The GM is left for the narrative. Seems like this would be an easy function to add/modify for roll20.
My real life group will often have the players pre-roll about 25 d20 rolls, for use by the GM. The GM can then just ask, "what's your stealth skill?" and then use the list to come up with the total. It uses the player's rolls. It notifies the player what check is being used. It completely hides the total number, and therefore success or failure, until it becomes self-evident. Manveti, I like your variation of this where you have the player roll to see which pre-rolled number to use. I'm totally stealing that. :)