Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Constant disconnections

Edited 1617304217
So I've already opened a ticket with Roll20 about this but that was 2 and a half weeks ago. It's been acknowledged by their twitter support that they have the ticket and are working to respond to me, but I figured I'd make a thread here just in case. I have an issue that started Friday, March 12 that didn't exist on Monday, March 8, and has been a problem every day since. I am *constantly* losing connection in the three games I play in. I've done a crap ton of troubleshooting and have been unable to iron down the issue. The console tells me Firebase keeps going online and offline for me. However, this is across three devices, and two browsers. It happens in Firefox and Chrome, and it happens on my laptop, desktop, and my phone. However, it doesn't happen on my roommate's computer when I sign into my account on his device, so it's not an issue with my account. I've reinstalled Windows on my laptop hoping that would fix it, but to no avail. I have no add ons or even adblock on Firefox, so I don't think extensions are the problem. I've cleared cookies, cache, and site settings off of my desktop to check for corrupted cookies or cache and that didn't fix it either. The weirdest thing about all of this is that my phone, laptop, and desktop will lose connection to the server at the exact same time. All three devices. My roommate will be moving tokens around and then all three devices just stop receiving data. I get reconnected for about 30 seconds and then disconnected again. It happens on wireless connection (laptop) and wired (desktop) and my phone. The only thing I can think of is there's some cookie that chrome hasn't deleted when I clear them/reinstall the browser that is connected to chrome on all three of my devices that is *somehow* also affecting Firefox? But that seems very unlikely. I've tried a ton of troubleshooting and this has been an issue in all three of my games I'm a player in, all three which my roommate is a part of, two of which he DMs, and none that he is having this problem with. When I lose connection, my display webcam and stuff also leave the game until I'm reconnected. I'm at a loss off what could be causing this and am hoping anyone has an idea of what I could do to fix this. The disconnects only happen upon people interacting with the map. Moving tokens, rolls, pinging stuff, the DM changing screens... Here's a pic of the console after a minute or two of playing. I'm posting here while waiting for Roll20 to respond to me via the ticket I created, but in case anyone else has any idea what to do because at this point I've tried everything but buying a new laptop and desktop, because it's only *my* devices that are doing this, not my roommate's.
I have been playing and as a DM working on a campaign in Roll20. There has been constant lagging and disconnections issues for some time now and they seem to be getting worse. This is of major concern for me and other players I know. I have a Pro account, have purchased many books and over around 100 additions maps, tokens, tools. I much invested in money and time with over 5000 hours logged. I feel this issue should be of top priority in getting fixed. Expand the network servers... Do what is necessary. I have been at home because of Covid over 1 year now. I would think the brunt of additional players because of stay at home should be settling now. I received that error last night and this morning again trying to open compendium materials in a game and I was the only one in game working on stuff. Please make this a top priority so we can all get back to enjoying the service and continue our support. Thanks for those who read and any effort is much appreciated.  
I'm in the UK and never seem to face these issues. It makes me think it must be due to servers not keeping up with the number of players given the US constitutes a much larger demographic within Roll20

Edited 1617312048
I'm thinking this is separate from the issues everyone is experiencing because it happens across all my machines and browsers, however, my roommate and other players are unaffected and it's been an issue every day for almost 3 weeks. This isn't a minor disconnect that happens every once in a while, but every time I reconnect, 30 seconds later I'm disconnected. It's as if the server forgets I'm there.

Edited 1617319227
If my troubleshooting is correct I've determined that my problem's aren't A) Cookies/cache related (cleared on desktop) B) Corrupt Windows registry (reinstalled Windows on laptop, which had me reinstall chrome/firefox. I didn't sign in to sync any settings and problem persisted)) C) IP address related (with my account working fine on my roommate's computer) D) Internet related (as we use discord to communicate, and my roommate doesn't have this issue, and this issue happens when I'm alone, too) E) Related to my Roll20 account (because it works fine on my roommate's computer) F) Firewall related (reset firewall settings, and my PC/laptop aren't connected via a Microsoft account) G) Chrome/Firefox extension related (disabled all extensions, went incognito, and Firefox doesn't have any extensions, even adblock) H) Specific to one device (as it happens on my laptop/desktop and my phone, but *not* my roommate's computer for some reason) And if I'm being realistic, it *has* to be one of those. And the weirdest thing about is all three disconnect at the exact same moment. Does anyone have any ideas?
Have you tried changing your password and re-logging in? That it happens to your account on multiple devices simultaneously seems to me to indicate it's definitely something tied to your user. Wild guess, but I can't think of anything else to try.
It does happen on multiple devices, but the only device it doesn't currently happen on is my roommate's computer. So I feel like it's not tied to my user. That is the only thing I realistically haven't tried yet, aside from purchasing new computers.

Edited 1617513360
So. Interesting fact. I'm currently not at my apartment, and haven't disconnected at all. So it *looks* like it's some kinda IP issue? But on all three of my devices? How? Unless Roll20 fixed some kinda major issue in the past two days.

Edited 1617526980
It might be related to <a href="https://blog.roll20.net/posts/march-2021-downtime/" rel="nofollow">https://blog.roll20.net/posts/march-2021-downtime/</a> On the other hand if there are three devices that connect via wifi and have issues on a particular location and not another location, probably it is the wifi.

Edited 1617566019
Thing is, my desktop is wired, and my roommate doesn't have the problem at all. So not wifi but IP related? Update: Someone else having this exact same issue! I'm not alone!&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9940369/constantly-getting-disconnected-slash-red-disconnection-box" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9940369/constantly-getting-disconnected-slash-red-disconnection-box</a>
So I was out of town for about a week, and while I was out of town I had zero issues with disconnecting, but now that I'm home again, I'm experiencing the issues, but my roommate doesn't experience them, so I'm beginning to wonder if it is somehow related to my account at this IP address on Roll20? Or something? But why would it happen on all my devices, but not my roommate's? I'm just confused.
If your PC only manifests this behaviour on a specific location, it's probably due to something on that specific location. It's a far ball, but did you try a different ethernet cable?
You might want to check the router or your ISP

Edited 1618195324
Martijn S. said: If your PC only manifests this behaviour on a specific location, it's probably due to something on that specific location. It's a far ball, but did you try a different ethernet cable? I tried my phone and my laptop and all three disconnect at the exact same time.
This is a mystery i would like to investigate in a call.

Edited 1618269901
You free tomorrow? We could chat over discord and I can show you everything that goes on. I say discord because I will be getting disconnected from a Roll20 room.