Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Vision range limitations for dynamic lighting

I just started using the dynamic lighting feature. In my campaign, there is a character who is only able to see 30ft around them, due to having poor vision. A feature to allow maximum vision range for dynamic lighting on a token regardless of light level would be incredibly useful, and theoretically very easy to implement, and I am honestly surprised it is not something you are already able to do.  There are a number of scenarios this feature would be very useful for, that are not possible to represent without it.  1. Burrowing characters with limited vision. If a character is burrowing, and only able to sense a few feet directly above them, this feature allows me to limit their vision radius to 5ft, giving them reduced vision without affecting any other players.  2. Blind character. If a character is blinded or has otherwise impaired vision, I would be able to limit their vision on the map, creating much better immersion. 3. Foggy or hazy areas: Areas with fog, smoke, or other vision impairments could be better represented with this system, and allow for them to be removed quickly should the fog clear, or should the players leave the affected area.  I've checked the forums and a number of other users have requested identical features, but they never got high enough scores to be considered for implementation. Unfortunately, this is a feature that is not often necessary and thus easily overlooked but is sorely missed when the scenarios it is needed come up. The oldest of these posts was 6 years old, so people have been wanting it for a long time, and it would seem this is an optimal time to implement such a simple yet useful feature with the transition from legacy to updated lighting. 
In a system like D&D 5E it would also apply to any character (or creature) with "blindsight".
I agree, this would be incredibly useful to my games.  Not only would it be useful for status conditions and fog, but for very large globally lit maps.  It could also include a toggle, that can add a blur or a tint to out of range areas and tokens.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .