Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Idea to make the character sheets better

Okay so this is from the perspective of the pathfinder roll20 character sheet only. Now something I noticed is you cant easily tell WHAT you rolled, lets say I make an attack it simple pops the entire roll into one little box, what this means is i can not tell what my exact roll was and that effects the chance of getting critical s because criticals work off your base roll not the total with bonuses, so would it be possible to make it have 2 box's, one to show the base roll and a second to show the total or possibly make it easier to hover over the box and see what your roll is without having some massive code example being [ rolling 1d20 + ((2 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 ) + (floor((18 + 0 + 0 + 0) / 2) - 5) + 1 + 0 + 0) + 1 = (15)+((2+0+0+0+0)+(floor((18+0+0+0)/2)-5)+1+0+0)+1 ] So I just wanted to say I think some revision might be helpful in making games flow.
Use inline rolls. [[1d20+1+2+3+4 etc]]
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
If autocalculated values just displayed as their total instead of the formula, I'd be so happy. Until then, this is what we got.
Well thats why i'm throwing out here in suddjestions is all even if they made one box that just showed the 20 roll and then a second one with all totalls added it would be nice
Paul S.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You could make a macro for that sure. It would be technically two rolls. One for the d20 and one for the bonuses. Then you'd have a macro that adds the two macros (d20 and bonuses) together. Use inline rolls to make it look clean. Should work. I will test it out tomorrow.
Sam said: If autocalculated values just displayed as their total instead of the formula, I'd be so happy. Until then, this is what we got. +1 this simple improvement would eliminate so many questions and concerns and would quickly eliminate confusion regarding this monstrous formula being output.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Sam said: If autocalculated values just displayed as their total instead of the formula, I'd be so happy. Until then, this is what we got. Also +1 here.....tho i suspect it would require updates to the order of operations for the dice roller to change this.....even if we could set custom tooltips on rolls within character sheets that would help a little but we'd still need something to extract the result of any dice rolls too...maybe by allowing authors to name sections of a roll and then use the result of a section in a custom tooltip?
Paul S.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Here's what works - and I think it can be incorporated easily into the character sheets: /r [[@{1d20}]]+[[@{Bonuses}]] Gives an output that looks like: rolling 11+15 11+15 = 26 You can hover over the numbers to see that the first is the d20 and the second is the bonuses. As far as that silly floor(..... in the rolls.. I made a character sheet that doesn't do auto-calc for attribute mods (yes - that means players have to enter the mods manually - but how hard is that really?). So in my rolls, I just see 1+2+3+4. You can get fancy with the character sheet and add what each bonus is so that when you hover, you'd see something like (Size Mod) 1 + (Dex Mod) 2 + (Misc Mod) 3 + .... But that just gets too crowded for me.
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
The reason I didn't write the Pathfinder sheet to do that is because a bunch of rolls like that for one attack will easily take up double the real estate that the current macro does. Auto-calculations aren't there purely because putting those stats in manually is a chore, but because it facilitates the game. If someone gets Enlarged, they just add 2 to their Strength enhancement and all their attacks will be modified, just by touching this one field. The tradeoff for that is they're not printed in an easy to read format, which is ultimately not something I can control from the sheet itself.
Paul S.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@Sam - Wasn't ref'ing your pathfinder sheet specifically. All sheets in general. Your sheet (especially the new version you are working on) is great. Was just pointing out a solution UNTIL the devs get us a slightly better auto-calc system. For info purposes - on my sheet, with no auto-calcs, to take into account temp modifiers like Sam ref's, I've built in ?{Modifier|0} for all relevant rolls. (each Modifier has a unique name of course to avoid one Mod being applied to all rolls in a macro).
I agree the sheets are great but just an adjustment to reveal what the actual roll was a little easier would be nice like how about this how hard would it be to simply make the dice roll put in bold numbers on what the dice roll was amidst the numbers like. [ rolling 1d20 + ((2 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 ) + (floor((18 + 0 + 0 + 0) / 2) - 5) + 1 + 0 + 0) + 1 = ( 15 )+((2+0+0+0+0)+(floor((18+0+0+0)/2)-5)+1+0+0)+1 ] Like I'll be honest I have no idea how coding works for all of this I'm just putting in a little input all in all i freaking love the pathfinder sheet. [P.S. I just remember something that was brought up to me but is there a way to give a [X2 str] to the list of stat bonuses added to strength because there is a way to give 2 times strength to attacks with the two handed fighter archetype which i have seen is fairly popular.] Thank you all for taking time to read this. Rory N.
Another idea some friends gave me was is there a way to macro in a way that you can input what your high and low critical numbers would be so it can announce that your roll was a critical and possibly automatically adjust your damage for what your critical mod is?
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
Not without the API.
What do you mean?
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
Without the API, you can't do anything special besides roll dice and add numbers. The API can catch dice rolls, see if they crit, and adjust the damage as necessary. The API requires a mentor subscription and someone who knows Javascript to write the script for it. The Pathfinder sheet currently tells you what your crit range and multiplier are, and always rolls crit confirmation and damage. It's up to you to make sure the hit was actually a crit or not.
So there is no way to say simply have it show what your raw roll was in one box and then your total with all mods in another one possibly?
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
You'd have to make that macro yourself the way Paul S. showed.
With critical hits, it would be nice to be able to modify the range of a crit threat where the numbers turn green as it would for a 20 (18-20 for some weapons, for example). Then you can tell if it is a critical hit just by looking at it instead of having to open the macro.
Paul S.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
James H. said: With critical hits, it would be nice to be able to modify the range of a crit threat where the numbers turn green as it would for a 20 (18-20 for some weapons, for example). Then you can tell if it is a critical hit just by looking at it instead of having to open the macro. API should be able to handle that. I've no experience with API, but if you post in that forum, you should find someone able to do it.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
HoneyBadger's Power Cards script supports a notation for criticals that are outside of just a 20.
What I do is set up a field for critical range, ie: 19 or above. Then I have a separate calculation done, substituting that number for the random dieroll, but otherwise identical to the to-hit field. With these number, a simple comparison makes it clear: if your roll is this number or higher, you've rolled a (potential) crit! For example: [[1d20+5]] to hit [[19+5]] = crit -Phnord
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
Well, that's going in the sheet.
Yay! q;}
That will work for now thank you.