Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 what's going on?

So this is a general concern regarding the site that I feel needs to be brought up, not just by me but by anyone who actually cares for this site. I have been using Roll20 for quite some time now and have sucked a shameful amount of hours into it. Yea Roll20 has always been a bit scuffed and always seemed like it could do better but it wasn't anything crazy. But THIS is insane, in the past few months every single patch that has been released has birthed an insane number of bugs. This most recent patch which regards chat if I recall correctly? Managed to completely and utterly devastate the Character sheet and Token editing functionality. I won't go into detail on that, you can find about 6 other threads open and ongoing right now if you want the details on that.  Why is this happening? It's very frustrating that every patch I have to usually delay a game because I know it'll be unbearable buggy. Why are patches being thrusted out so often with so little meat to them? Why not just wait, make sure things work, and do big updates followed by hotfixes? Patches are meant to PATCH things not make things worse like they have been.  TLDR: Why are patches not being properly tested before release and how can we help stop this from happening if we can?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Kadin, You might be interested in reading the most recent blog post , which goes into a detailed post mortem on the recent instability and problematic rollouts.

Edited 1618025099
keithcurtis said: Hi Kadin, You might be interested in reading the most recent blog post , which goes into a detailed post mortem on the recent instability and problematic rollouts. Thank you for pointing this out to me, just gave it a quick read. So from what I understand is they're going back and redoing a bunch of old and outdated code so they can roll out new things? If that's the case i'm extremely glad that they're finally getting serious about upgrading their code to become a bit more modern. I also read that they heavily underestimated how difficult it is to test the new features, which makes me wonder what their next steps are to ensure this disaster doesn't happen again. Will they be hiring or asking for volunteers to assist in Quality Assurance and testing? I think it'd be great if we could get a in-depth and detailed announcement on how they plan to keep this from happening in the future. P.S: Yes I read about the stress testing bit but I think one sentence wasn't really enough to fully explain what they will do in the future. As if i'm being honest there should be almost constant testing of new features not just periodic stress tests.