Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Chrome Tabs Especially Slow when switching to Roll20

This has happened much more recently but with the same exact hardware as I've used for years. Recently whenever I switch back from a character sheet or literally any other tab to Roll20 with a campaign open the following happens: Chat will "jump" down to the last said message which I can see and it's rather disorienting. Randomly Roll20 will start ignoring the setting I put for sending chat beeps, making me miss relevant information when I'm also looking at my character sheet or spell sheet. An open campaign will become unbearably laggy for moving tokens immediately after, as it in takes 15+ seconds for them to move where my mouse was. I do not have any new extensions installed, disabling the existing ones I have has not resulted in any difference in these multiple issues, restarting my computer has done nothing, I have nothing open but discord, even closing it does nothing. Additionally, I have restarted Chrome to no effect, closed every other tab (even the sheet momentarily) to no effect. I am on Chrome: Version 89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (64-bit) along with Windows 10 most recent update as of this posting.
Even Microsoft Edge outperforms Chrome these days.  My only suggestion at the moment would be trying Firefox to see if it behaves similarly on your PC.  You can try running the Task Manager while Chrome is running Roll20 to see if it's spiking CPU or anything.  UDL is causing some issues for folks on older PCs as well. So your games use dynamic lighting?
No dynamic lighting, this also isn't spiking CPU usage from checking at task manager. This isn't exactly the matter of an old computer either, it's running on 16gb ram, i7 10750h, and rtx 2070 super max q along with a m.2 drive.  Edge from what I recall isn't officially supported so I'm using Chrome which has no issues with any other website. The primary issue is if Chrome is an officially supported browser these hiccups shouldn't be acceptable nor should the default be switching to another browser. Reinstalling Chrome, clearing all browsing data, and similar has provided no improvement as of now. Checking on multiple browsers I've not seen improvement with Edge, Chromium-based browsers, and Firefox. This isn't my own ran game, more a game I'm a player in at the moment, changing maps (even to one with 1 single asset) still causes the slowness as well.