Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Multiple Problems with Monster Manual Token Bars

For the past months I have consistently had the same problems with using tokens from the Monster Manual. I have my settings so that when I drag a token of a monster onto my play area from the journal, the speed, AC and HP should all be populated on the token in one of the 3 token bars. When I drag the token to the play area, the token bars aren't set to anything. When I use the drop down menu to set each token bar, I still run into problems. I have never gotten the speed to populate from the Monster Manual stat block into the token bar. I always have to manually enter that. Most of the time, the HP and AC don't populate, but when they do, the AC is never right. It's always lower, but it's not always lower by the same number. The max HP is usually correct when I use the drop down bar, but I have to type the current HP in. That field is always blank. The token "represents character" is set correctly. When I drag a monster directly from the compendium, the token doesn't appear on the battle map at all. For example, just now I tried a Minotaur, an Ogre, and a Pixie. The Minotaur's token had the HP correct, but no speed and the AC was input but was not correct. Also, the HP was in bar 1 when I have it set to bar 3. The Ogre had nothing populated, and when I used the drop down menu on the token, the HP max populated correctly, the AC populated incorrectly, and the speed did not populate. The pixie wasn't populated when I pulled it onto the play area, and when I used the drop down menu to manually set each attribute, none of them populated. Also, the "multiattack" trait of many monsters is not in the stat block. Every time I run combat, I have to manually input all of these attributes, and I can't figure out if I'm doing something incorrectly or if there's some kind of bug.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Taylor, Due to the fact that a PCs speed is calculates, but an NPC's is an arbitrary value assigned by the designer, they are two different fields on the sheet. For and NPC, use "npc_ac". Similar cases exist for many attributes. When setting up defaults, my suggestion is to set them up for NPC values, since PCs are done far less frequently, and usually manually. Also, (this seems to have started about the same time as the new character sheet rollout), when dragging a creature in from the compendium, keep the window open until the creature fully resolves. If closed before then, the process of writing the statblock and token is interrupted, and you get a partially complete monster. In this case, delete the bad copy from your game and try again. As for the bar assignment, I assume you have set it in the sheet-specific token settings area at the bottom of your Settings page? If so, it should handle all new compendium drops. To apply it to in-game content, load your game, go to the settings tab on the right and scroll to the bottom where you will find a button that says Apply Default Settings. Press it. Choose to update the appropriate settings. Wait a minute or two for it to resolve. There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar. This will affect most in-game content, but not saved default tokens already attached to character sheets.
can you also look into the tokens just immediately turning to a blank sheet token (the default image for a token with no image) without even attempting to write the stat block over at all. I have managed to resolve it by restarting the game sometimes but I'm not sure why it happens (it seems directly related to the above msg of the incomplete stat block dragging because it happens in conjuction with it sometimes as well). 
keithcurtis said: Hi Taylor, Due to the fact that a PCs speed is calculates, but an NPC's is an arbitrary value assigned by the designer, they are two different fields on the sheet. For and NPC, use "npc_ac". Similar cases exist for many attributes. When setting up defaults, my suggestion is to set them up for NPC values, since PCs are done far less frequently, and usually manually. Also, (this seems to have started about the same time as the new character sheet rollout), when dragging a creature in from the compendium, keep the window open until the creature fully resolves. If closed before then, the process of writing the statblock and token is interrupted, and you get a partially complete monster. In this case, delete the bad copy from your game and try again. As for the bar assignment, I assume you have set it in the sheet-specific token settings area at the bottom of your Settings page? If so, it should handle all new compendium drops. To apply it to in-game content, load your game, go to the settings tab on the right and scroll to the bottom where you will find a button that says Apply Default Settings. Press it. Choose to update the appropriate settings. Wait a minute or two for it to resolve. There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar. This will affect most in-game content, but not saved default tokens already attached to character sheets. Thank you so much! That actually fixed all my problems with tokens so I'm a very happy camper! Changing my game settings to npc_ac and npc_speed fixed those issues without even having to use the Apply Default Settings button, and the tokens that didn't populate with anything were definitely because I closed the compendium entry before the token loaded. Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.