Hi. About five years ago I returned to role-playing games after a 10 year hiatus. Before that I played from the early 80s until about the 2000s, from BECMI, AD&D, 2nd Ed, and making it up to third edition. I also played a ton of World of Darkness, as well as Palladium games like TMNT and Rifts, and also GURPS, Rolemaster, Shadowrun, Heroes Unlimited, Torg, Marvel RPG, Star Wars (d6 and d20), etc...
Then grad school and kids happened and I got busy, moved away from my gaming friends, and have been moving regularly for work ever since, getting my gaming fix via video games and board games with my spouse. But now the kids are in school, I have a steady schedule, and Roll20 happened, so I'm gaming again! Which is awesome.
In general my favorite games are (in no particular order):
- D&D 5e
- Powered by the Apocalypse, several
- Savage Worlds, several
- Eclipse Phase setting
- Cypher System
- Dungeon/Mutant Crawl Classics
- Call of Cthulhu
- The idea of Mage: The Ascension, but not the system
Notes on fave systems/games/genres/settings:
In my opinion, Gumshoe is the best system for investigation stories. Cypher is light and heroic. Savage Worlds is a bit crunchier but still fast, swingy, and multi-genre. Eclipse Phase is the best philosophical game & best SF game, though The Veil is close 2nd and I also like Stars Without Number. PbtA is my favorite system to play if I want to think about people in relationships of various sorts. DCC is my favorite gonzo OSR game. And D&D wins for nostalgia gaming.
Genre wise, I love Lovecraftian horror (Call & Trail of Cthulhu/Night’s Black Agents), occult-postmodern urban fantasy (Urban Shadows, Agents of Oblivion, The Strange, Esoterrorists, Mage:Ascension), and philosophical SF (Eclipse Phase, possibly SWN). Escapist fantasy is also nice (D&D, Numenera, DCC).
- Cthulhu Dark. Professor. GauntletCon.
- Monsterhearts 2. Luna, Werewolf. Gauntlet Con.
- Dogs in the Vineyard. Zachariah. Gauntlet Con.
- City of Mist PbtA. Excalibur. Gauntlet Con.
- Blades in the Dark. GauntletCon
- Apocalypse World: Fallen Empires West. Gauntlet Con.
- The Veil. Gauntlet Con.
- Moldvay BX D&D. Gauntlet Con.
- World of Dungeons. Gauntlet Con.
- Cypher Planescape. One shot! LGG. Persephone the Weird Adept.
- Vurt Cypher System cyberpunk LGG. Irvine the Mathemagician.
- Yellow King RPG (gumshoe system) one shot for VirtuaCon
- Tales from the Loop. Oneshot for VirtuaCon
- Cthulhu Confidential, Gumshoe 1-2-1. Dex Raymond! Two shot. LGG.
- Unknown Armies 3E . One shot!
- Predation, Cypher System one shot with Darcy Ross. One shot. LGG.
- Torg Eternity. Alex de Guerre, cyber witch. Occasional Roll20 games.
- Demon: the Fallen. Walter Harvey, fiend cryptic. Esotericist. Once a month on Discord.
- Urban Shadows. Gen Con one shot.
- Transhumanity's FATE. Gen Con one shot.
- Esoterrorists. Gen Con one shot
- Eclipse Phase 2e. Gen Con one shot.
- The Strange. Gen Con one shot.
- The Blank Page, Darcy Ross’ LARP. Gen Con.
- Firefly. Cortex system. LGG one shot.
- TORG Eternity. Intro one shot.
- Masks. 2x. Once at Gen Con.
- 7th Sea on Gamersplane async.
- Apocalypse world. Play by post. Eliza the gear head.
- Savage worlds. Two shot. Sundered skies and East Tex U crossed in space.
- Fate. Homebrew cyberpunk occult horror.
- Numenera. One shot with Darcy Ross. Haro the clever nano.
- Vampire: the Masquerade. Marceline the Mall and Antonia the Setite.
- Night’s Black Agents. Rigoletto the bag man.
- Trail of Cthulhu. Alienist Manfred Oswald.
- Shadow of the Demon Lord. One-shots. Quill the Clockwork Rogue, level 1, and Callus the Goblin Priest, level 2.
- 13th Age. Elenica the swashbuckling gnome thief, level 3.
- Stars Without Number, Tiwa the Psychic. Ah Tiwa…
- Strange New Worlds (Star Trek Apocalypse World), Wednesday 11am. Britt de Volder CMO.
- Eclipse Phase. Koika the octomorph mercurial scavenger.
- Spelljammer! D&D 5e with Spelljamming home brewed. Played Feldren the Scro Warlock (Fiend, Chain).
- D&D 5e. SO much D&D 5e. Played Wizards levels 1-13. Clerics, 1-10. Warlocks 1-10. Rogue 1-11, etc...
- Torchbearer. Zinnia Jackdaw, Halfling Burglar. Levels 1-2.
- Fate. Cinna the Swashbuckling Thief.
- Dungeon World with the Tuesday 12pm group. Dargrin Dwarf barbarian, levels 1-6
- Dungeon Crawl Classics played the funnel on Roll20Con.
- AD&D 1st ed. as well for Roll20con.
- Call of Cthulhu. Roll20Con.
- Shadowrun on FB. Franz the Mage investigator.
- D&D 2e on FB. Raleigh, cleric of Lathander.
- Burning Wheel.
- Mage the Awakening. Walter Harvey.
- Torchbearer. Playing Zinnia the halfling burglar.
- Feng Shui 2. one shot.
- The Strange. Archibald Prentiss, paradox. Async pbp on Gamersplane.
- Beyond the Wall. Merrin the Would-be Knight. Async on Gamersplane
- Vampire on Google Hangouts, Marceline Duval the Malkavian. And Zohra the ghoul.
- The Sprawl on Roll20. Dutch the killer.
- Unknown Armies 2e. Async on FB. Playing Walter Harvey the mad scientist.
- 7th Sea. Gamersplane. Played Wolfang the Eisen Krieger/Merc.
- Apocalypse World 1E. Roll20 pbp. played Eliza the awesome gear head girl.
I stopped keeping track in like 2017! Suffice it to say I'm somewhere in the triple digits on discrete games.