Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Cannot remove character's owner.

I had a player leave a game, I cannot delete their character or give it to someone else. I cannot delete other player's characters either. I am the GM but keep getting a popup about how I'm not allowed to remove character owners, which makes absolutely 0 sense given the roll of a GM and the fact that ownership stays after someone leaves or quits.

Edited 1713663854
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Trash,  Duplicate the character, then remove it from your game. You can assign the duplicate to other people (it will not be connected to Roll20 Characters).  The reason is your former player has it connected to their Roll20 Characters, if you were able to delete it you'd delete it from their Roll20 Characters.  In the future, if you wish to prevent this you can block people importing characters into your game in your campaign details page.  Additionally you can block players from creating characters in your game (you will have to initially create a character and assign it), also in your campaign details page.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Nice tip, Gauss! I didn’t know that. 
Gauss said: Hi Trash,  Duplicate the character, then remove it from your game. You can assign the duplicate to other people (it will not be connected to Roll20 Characters).  The reason is your former player has it connected to their Roll20 Characters, if you were able to delete it you'd delete it from their Roll20 Characters.  Duplicating it doesn't let me remove the empty sheet, which should be the point of the remove option being there instead of "delete". I can copy and delete those copies as much as I want, but I can in no way shape or form interact with the sheet beyond that. I can't archive it or edit it at all, only copy.

Edited 1713734527
Gauss
Forum Champion
Please right click on the sheet in the Journal tab and take a screenshot of the dialog menu and then post that here. Trash  said: Duplicating it doesn't let me remove the empty sheet, which should be the point of the remove option being there instead of "delete". I can copy and delete those copies as much as I want, but I can in no way shape or form interact with the sheet beyond that. I can't archive it or edit it at all, only copy.

Edited 1713737523
Trash
Plus
To be clear, the buttons exist both in the journal and in the edit menu. My problem is that they do nothing Gauss said: Please right click on the sheet in the Journal tab and take a screenshot of the dialog menu and then post that here.

Edited 1713737635
Gauss
Forum Champion
If the Remove From Game button is not working for you then that is a bug that needs to be addressed. Please file a bug report with the Devs. You can do that via the Help Center .  Please include that this is for a character whose player has left the game or been removed from the game.  Trash said: To be clear, the buttons exist both in the journal and in the edit menu. My problem is that they do nothing Gauss said: Please right click on the sheet in the Journal tab and take a screenshot of the dialog menu and then post that here.

Edited 1713756004
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Trash said: To be clear, the buttons exist both in the journal and in the edit menu. My problem is that they do nothing Gauss said: Please right click on the sheet in the Journal tab and take a screenshot of the dialog menu and then post that here I have the same issue with one character.&nbsp; I brought this up in the Roll20 Characters thread (6+ weeks ago).&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11774755/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/11774755/</a> I can't recall if I submitted a help ticket since Characters seemed to be still having issues at that time and the Devs appeared to be addressing at least some of those problems.&nbsp; In truth I've just given up on removing that character and just assumed it was a one-time glitch.&nbsp; I no longer use Roll20 Characters since the Character Vault completely handles my particular needs.