Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Page Folders Have Arrived!

Edited 1698182596
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Hey everyone! We’re incredibly excited to roll out a new pair of major features to Roll20 today: Page Folders and the Party Toolbox. Better organization of pages in Roll20 games is one of our oldest and most-upvoted suggestions on the forums, dating back to the launch of Roll20. It was a larger undertaking than you might imagine to get it done, including a lot of user research and design work to make it intuitive and easy to use, as well as significant dev work from the team. But we think you’ll find that Page Folders makes your Roll20 games run much better in keeping things organized and preparing for your sessions. The new Party Toolbox is an expansion of the bookmark ribbon that we’ve used since the earliest days of Roll20. That functionality is still there, but we’ve made it much clearer to see what’s going on by showing you who’s included when you’re moving the Party Ribbon around on the screen. In addition to that, if you are a GM that tends to split the party, or you run games that have lots of players, the additional new options here should make your life much easier. You can now drag and drop individual players right from the Party Toolbox, creating little sub-groups that you can move as a whole. The list itself is incredibly handy for seeing at a glance what players are on what pages. And for the first time, you can move a player to a page even if they aren’t currently online in your game! There’s a ton of new functionality here, and if you want all the details be sure to check out the blog post that we published today with handy videos and explanations of each feature. Keep in mind you need to be opted in to the new UI Redesign to access Page Folders (as well as the new Measure Tool and more!) We welcome your feedback on all of this new functionality, as well as how we can continue to improve it and make it even better going forward. Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
<Squealing!> I have really been looking forward to this! Woot!
WOOT!  I have the exact same feeling as Keith above. I'm going to not just enjoy the foldering, but the extra party navigation perks as well. Thank you and Live Long and Prosper.
Thank you, thank you, thank you This has exceed my expectations so far and has already made my prep so much easier 
Outstanding!

Edited 1698176964
I was looking forward to this too. Until I logged in. After half an hour, I've yet to figure out how to create a folder, much less move maps into the new folder. Why is it that these changes always come without instructions?? Also, I was under the impression that there was supposed to be a way to search for maps. I can't find anything that looks like a search box or any way to search. Yes, I'm using the new UI... Right now, I'm very unimpressed. In fact, I'm very disappointed.

Edited 1698177669
Looks good in one game, but I appear to be missing the top part in BGDIA?  Have checked my other games and they all seem fine, thought it might be the number of map pages, so loaded CoS 2.0, but that was fine.  Thought it might be scroll bar, but have dragged that all the way up too EDIT: No extensions loaded, just Roll20 as it comes
I don't know what your screen looks like, but on mine, when I open the pages toolbar, there are two large buttons at the top left that say "Add Page" and "Add Folder", and below the buttons is a search bar that spans across the entire toolbar. When I click on "Add Folder", it creates a new folder at the bottom right of my existing maps (you might need to scroll down to see it). I can rename the folder by clicking on the name and editing it. I can add existing maps to the folder by dragging then onto it. Saul J. said: I was looking forward to this too. Until I logged in. After half an hour, I've yet to figure out how to create a folder, much less move maps into the new folder. Why is it that these changes always come without instructions?? Also, I was under the impression that there was supposed to be a way to search for maps. I can't find anything that looks like a search box or any way to search. Yes, I'm using the new UI... Right now, I'm very unimpressed. In fact, I'm very disappointed.

Edited 1698178119
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To be fair, they did say in the top post that how-to videos would be posted later today. As for how to make a folder, there are several ways: There's a button (the search bar is directly underneath it): You can also create a folder by dragging one map onto another (click for animation) : To move a page up a level, drag onto the breadcrumbs  (click for animation) :
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Simon G. said: Looks good in one game, but I appear to be missing the top part in BGDIA?  Have checked my other games and they all seem fine, thought it might be the number of map pages, so loaded CoS 2.0, but that was fine.  Thought it might be scroll bar, but have dragged that all the way up too Hmm. I created a BGDIA game yesterday to check out a different issue. Logging into it today, I see the full page interface. Maybe try a forced refresh to clear the cache?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Simon, could you check to see if your map pages in that game (in case you have added some of your own) contain any possible control characters? colons, slashes, things like that? I can't imagine it should make a difference, but mine was a fresh install, so I'm looking for differences.
I have neither of those buttons:
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, to anyone still waiting on the videos, I just discovered the Help Center has full documentation .
I also don't have the party toolbox or any of the other new features.

Edited 1698178335
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Saul J. said: I have neither of those buttons: Well, that would explain the confusion. Hmm... Are you using any extensions that might conflict (VTTES, for example)? Is this the case in all games? Roughly how many pages are in your campaign? (For comparison, mine has around 50 and I can see the full interface) EDIT: Are you the game creator or a promoted GM? BTW, these are all just guesses, trying to suss out differences.
Hiya Keith Can't believe you're not psychic, please try harder :))))) I cleared the cache and refreshed before I posted last time, but I have 72 maps (I can't stand the style of the ones that come with BGDIA) and have taken out all extra characters (apostrophes and hyphens, though even the default maps use those) and cleared cache and F5'd.  Still no joy I note CoS has 50 pages, similar to your game.  A new BGDIA has just 32 and loads fine, so my difficulty seems limited to my long running version of BGDIA
I am not using any extensions that I'm aware of... although I *might* have set up one 4 years ago when I started and have since forgotten. This is a long-running campaign. It started with the purchased module Tomb of Annihilation and since then I've been running the Adventure League modules and other modules set in Chult and have created many, many maps. I have roughly 200 maps. And, yes, I need most of them because there are places that the characters return to at various points and for various reasons. Having that many maps was never an issue before.  I am the game creator for this game and the sole GM. I have also checked my other games, both those that I've created, and those where I'm a promoted GM. They seem to be fine. But they also have far fewer than 50 maps. This leads me to believe that there's no extension that might be causing a conflict as the problem only exists in this one game of mine (at least that I've found so far). keithcurtis said: Saul J. said: I have neither of those buttons: Well, that would explain the confusion. Hmm... Are you using any extensions that might conflict (VTTES, for example)? Is this the case in all games? Roughly how many pages are in your campaign? (For comparison, mine has around 50 and I can see the full interface) EDIT: Are you the game creator or a promoted GM? BTW, these are all just guesses, trying to suss out differences.
I have also tried Chrome instead of my usual Firefox, no joy
It seems like there are some games where the interface is breaking, we're looking into it now. If you can supply us with some links to the games where you're seeing that behavior that will help us track it down faster! Thanks!

Edited 1698180463
link sent :) many thanks. Not sure if it is of any relevance, but game seems to think there is someone at Bel's Forge as it has a player ribbon on it, whereas the party is actually in the scab.  Can't tell who though because I don't have the top bar and can't interact with it any other way
Okay so we've tracked this down, the issue is if you previously kicked a player from a game while that player was individually assigned to a page, it will break on load on the new interface (breaking the header). We're working on a hotfix now.
Riley D. said: It seems like there are some games where the interface is breaking, we're looking into it now. If you can supply us with some links to the games where you're seeing that behavior that will help us track it down faster! Thanks! For me, this new feature is really slow and lags to the point it becomes unusable! (Tested it in a smaller campaign with 8 - 10 Maps). Dragging Maps onto each other now creates Folders, too which is HIGHLY ANNOYING, especially since you can only delete folders. BUT by doing so, ALL Maps within said folders are deleted as well! You need to manually grab each map and drag them above the folder to get them out! AND there is no context menu whatsoever, it is purely left click / touch controls...
I've never kicked a player from a game though??  No-one visited Bel's but perhaps this was the game where I figured out how to split the party and I used that map (?? guessing massively here) and just shut the game down when I figured it out?
This is so useful and easy to use! Now do the same for Macros, Rollable Tables, Decks and Marketplace Purchases please ^_^
Simon G. said: I've never kicked a player from a game though??  No-one visited Bel's but perhaps this was the game where I figured out how to split the party and I used that map (?? guessing massively here) and just shut the game down when I figured it out? Okay, that might just be one repro step then. We will test your game after we think it's fixed to be sure.
Okay so the hotfix is live for the header not showing up issue. Reload and see if it's working for you now. Thanks!

Edited 1698183186
Great improvement to the VTT. Well Done. Only encountered some minor things of the kind that only pop up when many people start using it in a variety of situations: During tonight's game - when moving a folder in the ribbon to a new position, after drop this folder did not end up in the intended location. This happened multiple times consistently.  I just tried to reproduce, but it does not happen any more (in that game). Another thing that i observed: when you drag a folder/page over the ribbon the image of a page is changed to a folder icon. Sometimes this icon is not updated to the image of the page when you move out of the area of that page card.
Perfect, thank you everyone, your efforts are very much appreciated, at last I can organise this pot mess
How do I reset the tutorial that shows you how to use this feature? I lost mine somehow, and haven't found anywhere to restart it.
Wayne V - blog is up <a href="https://blog.roll20.net/" rel="nofollow">https://blog.roll20.net/</a>
Why are there 2 Buttons to close this when 1 is clearly enough? You got the X in the right corner AND the "Close" Button below. And since this menu takes more screen than the previous version (HALF of my screen exactly), how to get rid of the "Close" Button below this new Menu? Might it be possible that if a folder gets deleted, WE get the OPTION to either delete the Maps inside the folder with it OR just put them out of the folder before deleting? Right now, Folders can only be deleted. IF a folder is created accidentally, you need to manually drag and drop the maps outside the folder (above the folder in fact for it to be registered)...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Simon G. said: Wayne V - blog is up <a href="https://blog.roll20.net/" rel="nofollow">https://blog.roll20.net/</a> And in case anyone missed the post above, the&nbsp; Help Center has full documentation .
Wayne V. said: How do I reset the tutorial that shows you how to use this feature? I lost mine somehow, and haven't found anywhere to restart it. Clear your Cache and Cookies, then open any of your campaigns to start the tutorial...
This is so exciting! I've been looking forward to this! Diving in!
Legendary
This is an amazing enhancement!&nbsp; But I have noticed one thing.&nbsp; When I move the party ribbon to a new page, the music I have cued to play on load doesn't play.&nbsp; Anyone else experiencing this?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Joe said: This is an amazing enhancement!&nbsp; But I have noticed one thing.&nbsp; When I move the party ribbon to a new page, the music I have cued to play on load doesn't play.&nbsp; Anyone else experiencing this? I can confirm. Ran a couple of tests and no audio-on-load. Mac OS, Chrome. Private browsing window (for player account)
I can't move pages to re-order them.&nbsp; They just end up in random places, even though I'm being very careful to drag into the gap between two pages.&nbsp; Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Edited 1698199233
OHHH MY GOODNESS!!!! been quite a while since I was giddy!! Well done R20 team!!!&nbsp; but ,I can also confirm no Sound/Music on load for any of my pages. (Win 10, Chrome-Version 118.0.5993.89 (64-bit) )
Nice update!&nbsp; Not having any issues, however I would like to offer feedback: I find the page ribbons to be rather....dainty. As a marker their only job is to mark something in a visually obvious way, and I'm not finding them so. They could easily be doubled in dimensions without meaningfully impacting the thumbnail of the map.
Sean W.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Bug: This update has disabled audio files set to load upon players and/or party moving to a map no longer work. It would seem your new patch has disabled the tabletop audio function.
Absolutely loving the ability to sort pages into folders, very welcome from an organizational standpoint. However, the new party-dragging features seem to have broken the ability to automatically load playlist on page loads.
Ever since I moved my maps to different folders it does not play the background track I have assigned to each map. It only plays the track I have assigned to one map for all maps. When I switch the player marker to different maps it does not play the background track assigned to that page, I checked and the proper track is still assigned to that page. Is this a glitch, how can I fix this?&nbsp;
TM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Cool! I create and sell Game Add-ons that are 30-113 maps at a time linking to the official D&amp;D campaigns. Roll20 sells those same campaigns and I'd like my folder format to line up with yours. If someone buys Curse of Strahd on Roll20, are the maps in folders and if so how are you formatting them? If that person then buys my 113 Curse of Strahd maps they shouldn't have the same exact folder names. Are my folders thrown in after the Curse of Strahd folders? do they combine alphabetically? Is there a naming convention you could suggest to make this less confusing for people? Thanks!
Riley D. said: Okay so the hotfix is live for the header not showing up issue. Reload and see if it's working for you now. Thanks! Perfect ! it fixed the problem here too ! Awesome feature, i was waiting for it with 150+ pages it was a nightmare xD Could we be able to set the folder image as one of its child image ? (with a normalized border so folders and normal pages can be differenciated easily ?)

Edited 1698212546
Page folders are here! Definitely one of my biggest requests so I'm glad to see it finally become a reality. Here's some general feedback from my time organizing ~100+ odd maps in my main campaign: Please, oh please , could we get the ability to color code the folders. It would help tremendously with visual clutter, and make a particular zone or chapter's maps easier to find at a glance. Dragging maps around to sort them puts them in fairly random places, and not between the two I was expecting. I assume this is a bug, hopefully to be fixed soon. Map &amp; Folder names are cut off mid word for line breaks which is hard to read The second (X Close) icon at the bottom middle of the bar is not needed and takes up more screen real estate than it needs to You could move the search bar to the same row as Add Page, Add Folder, Player Ribbon Stuff to save on some screen real estate. Especially since the new window is very large. I wish clicking away from the Player Ribbon checkbox dropdown minimised it, as it covers up some of the maps/folders, and right now you have to manually close it. Play music on page load doesn't seem to be working (also unrelatedly, please let us sort that music picker drop down alphabetically, or have a search bar, I'm begging you) Splitting the party and dragging them back together sometimes leaves you with the "main two-pronged ribbon" empty and everyone in a "one pronged ribbon" instead. You have to hit the regroup all button to fix this. It would be nice to have an optional sort A-Z button for maps and folders It would be nice to have an option to either: delete a folder and everything in it, or delete the folder and pop all of the maps contained in it out If you are dragging a player ribbon you cannot use the scroll wheel to scroll down (or do the nudge the bottom of the window to move down thing), you have to let go, then scroll, then pick the ribbon up again Thanks for this though, I can already tell it's going to be way better than the endless abyss of storing old maps in Archived. (For any of the bugs, if it helps, Win10, Firefox)
Thanks for Summarizing. Seeing the exact same things (latest Chrome, latest Win 10). Wish to see everything in that list being addressed... The Option for folders to be deleted with its contents or having everything moved out already exists in the Journal. So I assume this should not be too hard to implement! I also wish to add that when I tried it, it was very laggy to the point it was barely usable! KatValkyrie said: Page folders are here! Definitely one of my biggest requests so I'm glad to see it finally become a reality. Here's some general feedback from my time organizing ~100+ odd maps in my main campaign: Please, oh please , could we get the ability to color code the folders. It would help tremendously with visual clutter, and make a particular zone or chapter's maps easier to find at a glance. Dragging maps around to sort them puts them in fairly random places, and not between the two I was expecting. I assume this is a bug, hopefully to be fixed soon. Map &amp; Folder names are cut off mid word for line breaks which is hard to read The second (X Close) icon at the bottom middle of the bar is not needed and takes up more screen real estate than it needs to You could move the search bar to the same row as Add Page, Add Folder, Player Ribbon Stuff to save on some screen real estate. Especially since the new window is very large. I wish clicking away from the Player Ribbon checkbox dropdown minimised it, as it covers up some of the maps/folders, and right now you have to manually close it. Play music on page load doesn't seem to be working (also unrelatedly, please let us sort that music picker drop down alphabetically, or have a search bar, I'm begging you) Splitting the party and dragging them back together sometimes leaves you with the "main two-pronged ribbon" empty and everyone in a "one pronged ribbon" instead. You have to hit the regroup all button to fix this. It would be nice to have an optional sort A-Z button for maps and folders It would be nice to have an option to either: delete a folder and everything in it, or delete the folder and pop all of the maps contained in it out If you are dragging a player ribbon you cannot use the scroll wheel to scroll down (or do the nudge the bottom of the window to move down thing), you have to let go, then scroll, then pick the ribbon up again Thanks for this though, I can already tell it's going to be way better than the endless abyss of storing old maps in Archived. (For any of the bugs, if it helps, Win10, Firefox)
WOW! just WOW! I've been "complaining" for a while that this feature was something really needed, I've been fidgeting with it for like 5 minutes and love it inmensely, thanks!!
Please fix the music problem. It does not start automatically when I move players to a new map. The lack of automatic music assigned to the map destroys the atmosphere in my session and irritates me greatly. Please fix it asap!
Why is there no way to load up the page, only to view it and move my players about.... because there's no way to LOAD the page, my music set to play on every page that loads, is now NOT loading up, and I have to take longer finding it and activating it manually. I also noticed the folders ONLY show a blue folder, and no actual imagery of what's inside, or even a thumbnail image to get an idea, I hope this all changes... right now, the update has messed up my Roll20 experience for sure.