Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Fallout RPG: Starter Set - Wrong weights in random loot tables

Hello everyone! I hope this is the correct place for this topic. If not, please point me to the correct forum. We recently tried the starter set of the Fallout 2D20. During play, we noticed that some very rare results of the scavenging tables showed up, and I got curious. Turns out: The tables aren't weighted in the correct way. Every single item in each table has a weight of 1. This means that a player who is scavenging for ammunition is 3x more likely to find a mini nuke than a few rounds of .308. The rules inside the Compendium explicitly say to roll multiple D20. For example, the Ammunition table has the players roll 2d20 with the results of 38, 39 and 40 being mini nukes. This implies the dice results of 18+20, 19+19, 20+18, 19+20, 20+19 and 20+20. So in total a weight of 6. The 'Random-Ammunition' table has 3 mini-nuke items, all weighted 1. The result 24 is .308 ammo. There are 17 combinations of 2d20 results that add up to 24, so the weight should be 17, too. In the table, there is 1 item for .308 ammo with a weight of 1. This means in this module, a mini-nuke is about 9 times more likely than originally intended when using the pre-made tables and macros that call these tables. This problem extends to every single loot table in the starter set with more than 20 items and the random armor table, which has 4 items that should be weighted differently instead of 1 each. ( Sidenote: There is an error in the rules stating that on that table the results of 6-12 are Leather armor and 10-20 are Raider armor.) I don't know if there is someone who could fix these issues in the module. If not, take this as a heads-up and a reminder to compare pre-made tables with the actual rules.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Ryan,  The best place would be to let the Devs know via the Help Center . That way either Roll20 can make corrections or, if Roll20 is not the contractor for this particular conversion, they can inform whoever is or let you know who is so you can inform them. 
Hi Gauss, Thank you very much!  I will submit a ticket through the Help Center.