Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Half of the Dice rolled are Maximized Macro/Roll Quesiton

Heyo, as the title says I'm looking for a Macro or a roll command that can be input in the damage field for a spell that only maximizes half of the damage dice rolled for it. It's for a level 20 ability that will be awarded to a Sorcerer in my game as a reward for going the full dedicated 20 levels into sorcerer instead of classing out, like many would do past 17 or 18. Is there a way to implement this either as something the person can just check on their charcater sheet? Or if not, a Macro or damage roll input that can be implemented in their spells?
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
You can adjust the roll equations, but without a script you won't be able to do it on the fly for any given starting spell's roll. Can you be more specific about your mechanic? For instance, if your original roll was supposed to be... [[2d8 + 4]] ...then maximizing half of the dice means converting 1d8 into a value of 8, which means you could do: [[1d8 + 12]] Is that what you're looking for?
If it's possible with a script that would be cool. A example would be if they cast a 9th level Spirit Guardians, which adjusted for up casting would be 9d8 to all creatures in the area every turn. Half of the damage dice would be maximized by the ability. So ideally the roll/result that would appear in the chat when they click the damage would be (8+8+8+8+X+X+X+X+X), (4d8+32/40) or (8+8+8+8+8+X+X+X+X) if rounding is allowed when they hover over the damage total of the spell. The exact wording for the ability would be as follows. " If you would roll dice for a spell that is not a to hit roll, half of the dice rolled rounded up are their maximum value." they are Divine soul so it's worded like this so that it works for their healing rolls as well.

Edited 1713829108
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi FadeFromMemory.,  Which character sheet are you using? Depending on the character sheet I can come up with a spell specific option.  Example for damage dice:  ?{Maximize half the dice?|Yes,0|No,1}*9d8 + (-1)*(?{Maximize half the dice?|Yes,0|No,1}-1)*(4d8+40) Note: this is just a possible example written without verification.  Note2: I included the full query twice just to show how it works, that is not necessary.  If I know which character sheet you are using I can give you a better idea of how it can be done. 
Gauss said: Hi FadeFromMemory.,  Which character sheet are you using? Depending on the character sheet I can come up with a spell specific option.  Example for damage dice:  ?{Maximize half the dice?|Yes,0|No,1}*9d8 + (-1)*(?{Maximize half the dice?|Yes,0|No,1}-1)*(4d8+40) Note: this is just a possible example written without verification.  Note2: I included the full query twice just to show how it works, that is not necessary. If I know which character sheet you are using I can give you a better idea of how it can be done.  Thank you for responding. I appreciate the effort. I'm pretty sure we are using the standard DnD 5e sheet that R20 provides.
Gauss
Forum Champion
There are seven D&D 5e sheets. Could you provide a screenshot or the exact name?  You can find the name by going to Roll20.net, click the name of your game (not launch!), then click Settings, then Game Settings. It is listed under Character Sheet Template.
I believe this is it.

Edited 1713844587
Gauss
Forum Champion
Thanks, that is the D&D 5e by Roll20 character sheet. Basically what I wrote above should work, but I have to make some tweaks to it to account for upcasting and for the sheet etc.  I'll take a look at in the morning.
Thank you for your efforts! I appreciate it

Edited 1713884659
Gauss
Forum Champion
FadeFromMemory,  I need a list or screenshot of your spells.  I see several ways to proceed on this. Method 1: redo the damage of each spell on your Sorcerer has that deals damage. The problem with this method is that most spells use a second field for upcasting damage. That makes it more complicated (but not insurmountable). The advantage of this method is that the output will look identical to your current output. Method 2: use the second damage field of each spell on your Sorcerer that deals damage to display damage if the spell is maximized. The problem with this method is that it will look slightly different (example: 3 damage fields instead of 2 damage fields for an upcast Spirit Guardians).  The advantage with this method is that it is easily set up.  How it works: if you are using non-maximized you'd use the normal damage field + upcast damage field if upcasting.  If using maximized you'd use the maximized damage field and ignore normal and upcast. Method 3: Switch the spell to spellcard, damage is displayed in the spellcard itself.  The problem with this method is that it will look different.  The advantage is, well I personally think it looks better to display the damage in the spellcard.  It is also very easy to set the calculations up.  How it works, the spellcard would have both the Save DC and the spell damage listed in the spellcard. I do this regularly with my spells on this character sheet.  If you need I can provide mockups of each method.
Method 2 and 3 both seem like good solutions. I can provide what spells the player has currently as well as some of the damage mod's they have available to them currently. This is what they have currently. Some of these are rewards from quests they have done. These are some modifiers that they or someone in the party can activate to enhance their to hit and their damage. Hope this helps!